Do Phenolics Dissipate With Ageing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there,

In response to the original question I can say that phenolic beers do mellow with age.
In may this year I brewed a Belgian Blonde that got very hot (30C) during primary.
For the first month, even a mouthful would give me a splitting headache almost instantly.
Now, a few months on, the beer has mellowed a lot, is much sweeter and fruitier and the phenols have subsided to a large degree.

Cheers,

Michael

I recently brewed a heffeweizen and can say the wonderful banana it had shortly after kegging has now pretty much gone entirely. It's almost a different beer :(

Campden tablets are supposed to aid stability are they not?

Hi there,

In response to the original question I can say that phenolic beers do mellow with age.
In may this year I brewed a Belgian Blonde that got very hot (30C) during primary.
For the first month, even a mouthful would give me a splitting headache almost instantly.
Now, a few months on, the beer has mellowed a lot, is much sweeter and fruitier and the phenols have subsided to a large degree.

Cheers,

Michael

Interesting. Maybe not throwing away a few bottles will be worth it.

@wit - aren't phenolics and esters different things?

:icon_offtopic:

Phenolics are a part of the hydroxyl group and esters are a combination of an oxoacid and a hydroxyl.
There's a list of different ester types here.

Staying true to my rule of never chucking beer, I have about 6 of these left.

I cracked one tonight and while the phenolics are definitely present, they are also vastly reduced (that's unchilled too) and beneath them is quite a lovely beer that I'll have to brew again. Hints of toffee, good head retention and lacing and worth waiting a month or two for the other five.

Back