Do i need a tap?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting a new brew kettle and i cant decide wether or not to add a tap/spigot or would a stainless steel racking cane or jiggle Syphon do the trick

(50l steel pot with 2x2.4kw elements)

I've been getting into no chill lately, usually biab with a batch sparge... Not sure if that would make a difference

I had previously just used some silicone tubing to transfer the hot wort

Thanks

Get a stainless ball valve, makes life much easier. Chuck a half inch hose barb on it and run into your cube via a silicone hose.

JD

Well technically no, you don't, but you will pat yourself on the back if you do bung a tap in, you would be mad not to do it or have a very good reason.
JDW81's instructions are perfect.
In terms of a pickup, suggest either nothing, bought bazooka, bent pipe or giant stainless scrubby, I use the latter while I have whole flowers in the kettle.
In terms of the how, either weldless or a welded socket, what ever you are comfortable with or have access to.

Cool thanks for the advice.

Would a stainless steel 56l keggle be better than a stock pot? Just noticed i could get it for the same price

Cheers

No real difference if the size is the same. Just make sure the stock pot you get is a nice sturdy one with a thick base.

I've got both a keg and a stock pot and they both work a treat.

JD

Put a tap on, a weldless ball valve setup with silicone washers is easy to do....you won't regret it.
I pissed about for about a year and a half with siphoning through a silicone tube from my urn that didn't have a tap. When I finally drilled a hole and installed a ball valve, I wondered why I didn't do it sooner. So much easier to just stick the silicone hose on the hose barb and drain straight in to the cube.
It also allows me to actually do a decent whirlpool an leave a lot of trub behind, unlike when I was siphoning and would always accidentally stir up all of the settled out break material.

I've always approached improvements in brewing equipment with a strong eye towards making brewing easier. The ball valve on the kettle was an early one, and still ranks as one of my biggest improvements to ease of brewing.

Tip - put the valve in the same side as one of the handles, directly beneath it. That way you'll never have to avoid the tap with your body when you lift the kettle.

Mardoo said:
Tip - put the valve in the same side as one of the handles, directly beneath it. That way you'll never have to avoid the tap with your body when you lift the kettle.
+1

Also is easier to tilt up pot to drain if required.

And if possible , use a pulley to lift the pot .... Save your back for more enjoyable pursuits [emoji41]

Cheers for the feedback. I wouldn't of thought of putting the tap on the side.

Just need to decided between a 2 or 3 piece tap. I assume the 3 piece is easier to perform maintenance... Which I'm guessing no one ever does lol

Assuming the biggest valve you would ever use would be 1/2" personally I would go single piece, lot less bulky and I would think a lot cheaper. I have rebuilt valves that size in the past but only when installed in welded pipework and normally very harsh environments.

I fitted a 1/2" ball valve to my pot and included a cam lock disconnect to make connecting/disconnecting the hose easier.

I have only done one brew with it but it seems to work really well.

Latest posts

Back