Do I Need A Flooded Font

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark.farrell1

Reaction score
Hi all

for my chest freezer conversion I am going to run the font out of the freezer lid. Will i need a flooded font to keep the font cold or will it stay cold enough with just the cold air from the freezer. Also i am going to get some cold room panneling cut to size to replace the freezer lid as it is brand new. And the misses not to keen on me cutting holes on brand new stuff ( i broke our old spare fridge drilling holes ). Has any one done this or any other ideas on the font will be cool.

Thanks brewers

Hi all

for my chest freezer conversion I am going to run the font out of the freezer lid. Will i need a flooded font to keep the font cold or will it stay cold enough with just the cold air from the freezer. Also i am going to get some cold room panneling cut to size to replace the freezer lid as it is brand new. And the misses not to keen on me cutting holes on brand new stuff ( i broke our old spare fridge drilling holes ). Has any one done this or any other ideas on the font will be cool.

Thanks brewers

Depending on what price you pay, I would go for the option of having a flooded font for the future.

BYB

ello Mark
I have recently fitted a non flooded font to a chest freezer that is sitting inside the house.
Is yours outside or inside, if outside, then flooding is the way to go, if its inside and the aircon is cranked up then you will manage with a non flooded but the first pour may be a bit gassy.
The Rolls Royce option is flooded, either inside or out.
click here for options

Hey mate, have you seen my build up just below your post?

The way I have built my freezer I can return it back to the orginal freezer.

Are you tool minded?

Hey mate, have you seen my build up just below your post?

The way I have built my freezer I can return it back to the orginal freezer.

Are you tool minded?

I reakon i'm good to go with the tools

but could not see your pics

mark

My bad danial

I have been following your build on the site, and I used to be a plasterer but downed the tools cause i was sick off hiding chippies, sparkies, plumbers etc work....no not really just got over it, so no job is to hard for me when it comes to bar building... Thanks for the pics and good luck with the build

mark

haha I've just spent the last say 3 weeks in a 4 million or so building repairing and making/extending walls all because the brickie could not read the plan. Im a gyprocker by trade after I finished my appreny in vic I spent two years doing set/sand finish.

I love it now Im back to my trade Im only 22 had 2 years off I get my own labourer to do my shit and I get paid okay money without having to work long hours so it doesnt cuts into my beer making time heh :)

What font do have?

Danial

I don't have a font yet :angry: but am hoping to find one like yours but only a duel tap as i am trying to keep my consumption down a little and my beer production at a slower rate, being back at work again. Is yours brass and where did you get it from, how much etc. I am starting construction for the outer skin of my freezer this weekend to hide the collar and to make it match my polished floor boards. Will keep pics posted as the build goes on but need to get the paneling cut before i sort out the font.

Cheers have a good one, don't forget to tell the labourer to go and get a skyhawk from the gyprock shop... :lol: :lol: :lol:

You don't 'need' to flood your font. I have a 3 tap floodable font on my chest freezer outside and I haven't flooded it, nor have I put a fan in my freezer.

Sure on really hot days you get a bit of a spray, I just pour that and the first mouthful on the plants and then good to go! That only applies to the first mouthful of the first beer of the session. If you are pouring pretty regularly it will stay cool enough from then on for you to have no probs.

Nothing wrong with flooding it but in my case couldn't see the benefit in running a pump and taking up much needed beer space with cooling solutions :p . It is not like we need to impress our customers in the same way as pubs with frozen taps and also we only have a small amount of warm line to cool down.

Slightly OT but I also don't see the need for the fans that alot of people here seem to install, sure the upper portion of the freezer may be a degree or two warmer than the bottom but the beer gets dispensed from the bottom of the keg anyway or am I missing something here? :unsure:

Disclaimer - I live in Sydney and it hasn't been a particularly hot summer - high 20's at max and it is the first summer I have had my taps on-line. Pure Beer Heaven!

Good luck with the new bar Mark.

Slightly OT but I also don't see the need for the fans that alot of people here seem to install, sure the upper portion of the freezer may be a degree or two warmer than the bottom but the beer gets dispensed from the bottom of the keg anyway or am I missing something here? :unsure:
Yep, you're missing something. All the beer lines to your taps are at the top. Yes, convection will equalise everything, but think about this: There are no cooling coils in your collar (if you have one), so the difference will be greater, and with the freezer chockers with kegs, the convection currents need a little help. If you pour your beer out of warm lines, you waste more beer cooling them down and getting foam.

Helloooo

thanks for the feed back its only a small freezer so i think flooding will be out. It sits inside in the shade, so i think i will just go with the fan as i like my beer freezing cold

cheers again

If you pour your beer out of warm lines, you waste more beer cooling them down and getting foam

Makes sense Bonj but not a problem in my setup, no excess foaming and as mentioned the beer lines are typically not long in a chest freezer setup. In my experience the beer will very quickly equalise any temp and pressure differences in the lines, then again I don't have a collar which may make a difference. I did pack the gaps in the lid and the side with a can of that expanding foam insulating stuff so maybe that helps to. Anyway I don't see a bit of foam as a waste - I call it a head and drink it!

I'm not saying a fan can't be useful in some setups just that I don't see it as an essential. I hear some people wire it into the power of the freezer so that it only comes on when the thermostat kicks in which makes sense. Others have a computer fan and then a 12 volt adaptor (taking up another socket) and on permanently. I still reckon this is unnecessary.

BTW Mark, try your homebrew a bit warmer (I am an ex-pom mind you <_< ) you might be surprised at the depth of flavours that come through with a slightly warmer beer (I prefer lagers at about 6-9 and ales at 9-12c)

Cheers

... I don't have a collar which may make a difference.
Probably the key here. I have a collar, and a computer fan. The first fan died, and I did notice the difference. With the fan, all I need is a quick splash through the tap, and then pour away... without, it takes longer to stop the foaming. Makes the difference between slightly headier, and half a glass of foam.
BTW Mark, try your homebrew a bit warmer (I am an ex-pom mind you <_< ) you might be surprised at the depth of flavours that come through with a slightly warmer beer (I prefer lagers at about 6-9 and ales at 9-12c)
Definitely agree with that (and I'm not an ex-pom). Try it a bit warmer. The megaswill is served freezing cold so you can't taste it. You'll notice that warm VB tastes revolting, but warm homebrew is much nicer... have an experiment and see how your homebrew changes flavour as it warms. You may find a temperature range that you prefer over freezing cold. I keep my chest freezer at about 5C.

Back