Do Bubbles Mean I Have An Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian44

Reaction score
Hey. I brought a new fermenter and used it for the first time yesterday. I did an AG yesterday and left it in the fridge overnight to cool down to pitching temps. this morning i rise to find 10L have leaked out through the tap that doesn't screw in properly. But more worrying is the fact that its bubbling. Could it be bubbling because ive opened the fridge door and the wort is warming or do i have an infection?

Hey. I brought a new fermenter and used it for the first time yesterday. I did an AG yesterday and left it in the fridge overnight to cool down to pitching temps. this morning i rise to find 10L have leaked out through the tap that doesn't screw in properly. But more worrying is the fact that its bubbling. Could it be bubbling because ive opened the fridge door and the wort is warming or do i have an infection?
By bubbling you mean through the airlock? This can happen when the temp warms up inside the fermenter, and is exacerbated with more air space - so after losing 10 litres this could explain it.

Pitch the yeast - if the main wort is already bubbling then its infected - but I'd say you'll be fine.

Bummer about the tap.

Thanks unrealeous. I pitched the yeast. so fingers crossed no nasties got in. It was a double batch so i still got 33L.

Best indication that a wild yeast got in there would be if some type of krausen had formed. Either way it's unlikely and I would of pitched the yeast anyway. Worst case scenario, you've made a lambic, but from the sounds of things I think it should be fine.

Best of luck, Dave.

Latest posts

Back