Dms?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
Been making Swarzbiers now for some time (i might have been the first in oz) and won many awards with this style. There are a few things you need to do to make a good Swarzbier and is a lot of patience.
If you look at the guidlines of the style you will see that its a black lager and it should not be TOO black.
Its a dark Pilsener is the way i describe the beer.
The grain bill and the Yeast is the secret. Never use any roasted barley or roasted malts.
The best way to get the colour right is a little carafa from Weyermans and 5% of carapils with the rest a good Pilsener malt.
Use the same bitterness as a good Pilsener and you will get it right.
Ferment with a dry clean lager yeast not a malty lager yeast as you dont want this beer to be malty.
Ferment at 10 - 12C for 3 weeks.
Rest at 20C for 4 days and then rack to a glass fermenter and lager for 6 weeks.
I had a Swarzbier on tap at Big brew day at my place this month and it was ok but could have been better. I used WL's San fran Lager and only lagered for 2 weeks. It was too young but had no complaints.
Cheers
Ray

Latest posts

Back