Dme - Amber

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyinhi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having some difficulty locating some DME-Amber, none of the site sponsors seem to carry it nor does my LHBS, any suggestions would be appreciated, also I'm sure there is a method of substituting LME-Amber that I could try, but would like to use DME as I am following a recipe.

Cheers

My addvice to most when it comes to amber malt extracts is don't bother, you want to start using at least a small amount of grains in your beers, for extract you want to stick to light/pale malt extracts and then to 'amber' it up a touch you can use a small amount of choc malt to get to the colour your after.
This might not be what you want to do but its pretty much the approach most learned brewers will addvise.

Maybe post your recipe and what beer/flavours your hoping to achieve then there will be plenty of people here offering ideas to get to where your after.

My addvice to most when it comes to amber malt extracts is don't bother, you want to start using at least a small amount of grains in your beers, for extract you want to stick to light/pale malt extracts and then to 'amber' it up a touch you can use a small amount of choc malt to get to the colour your after.
This might not be what you want to do but its pretty much the approach most learned brewers will addvise.

Maybe post your recipe and what beer/flavours your hoping to achieve then there will be plenty of people here offering ideas to get to where your after.

Thanks Jayse,
The recipe i am looking at is in the AHB DB, "swannes bright ale by swanne" I'm happy to jig around a little but since im pretty new to extracts Iwas hoping to make it by the recipe as a baseline, then frig around with it later, if amber proves too difficult to get then Ill just have to build a bridge and get over it

Morgans have a caramalt liquid malt extract which is also labelled amber. Given that they used to have seperate products called caramalt and amber extract but after consolidating there range have both names on the same label I'm not quite sure what the go is.

Coopers also have a liquid amber malt extract.

Just remember if you sub a liquid extract in place of a dry extract you need to add more to take the water in the liquid into account. To replace 1kg dry malt extract I think you need 1.2kg liquid extract.

Morgans have a caramalt liquid malt extract which is also labelled amber. Given that they used to have seperate products called caramalt and amber extract but after consolidating there range have both names on the same label I'm not quite sure what the go is.

Coopers also have a liquid amber malt extract.

Just remember if you sub a liquid extract in place of a dry extract you need to add more to take the water in the liquid into account. To replace 1kg dry malt extract I think you need 1.2kg liquid extract.
Thanks earle,
would it be a problem if i just tipped the whole can in? I cant see it changing the end flavour too much

Hadn't looked at the recipe when I did the last post. It only has 250g of amber DME which would be 300g liquid amber extract. The tin is 1.5kg and would be over the top as it can be quite sweet compared to light malt extract. If it was a choice bewteen using a whole tin and leaving it out, I would leave it out.

Given that you need to do a boil for the hops anyway, a steep of some grains is probably a good alternative. Maybe 150-200g of a light crystal or caramalt if you can get some. Put it in a litre of water at about 70C and keep it warm for about 45min, I sometimes use a thermos. Strain the liquid off and use it as part of the water in your boil.

Hadn't looked at the recipe when I did the last post. It only has 250g of amber DME which would be 300g liquid amber extract. The tin is 1.5kg and would be over the top as it can be quite sweet compared to light malt extract. If it was a choice bewteen using a whole tin and leaving it out, I would leave it out.

Given that you need to do a boil for the hops anyway, a steep of some grains is probably a good alternative. Maybe 150-200g of a light crystal or caramalt if you can get some. Put it in a litre of water at about 70C and keep it warm for about 45min, I sometimes use a thermos. Strain the liquid off and use it as part of the water in your boil.

:lol: I read straight from your post, could have had a brew disaster.
Anyway, I think ill go with the grain, its going to add to the end quality more than canned extract anyway. My aim is to use more grains etc and move eventually to AG.
Thanks for the good advice.

Sounds good, you will end up with better beer by using grains. Check out some of the sponsors such as craftbrewer, they will have a better range and most likely fresher stock that your LHBS.

Sounds good, you will end up with better beer by using grains. Check out some of the sponsors such as craftbrewer, they will have a better range and most likely fresher stock that your LHBS.

Agreed, the faster I start using grain the better, my LHBS doesent carry any grain and only limited hops so i am aready familiar with craft brewer and other sponsors sites

Hi all,

I am having some difficulty locating some DME-Amber, none of the site sponsors seem to carry it nor does my LHBS, any suggestions would be appreciated, also I'm sure there is a method of substituting LME-Amber that I could try, but would like to use DME as I am following a recipe.

Cheers

This is more for someone else reading the thread who decides they still want Amber DME instead of going to grains.

I think I remember seeing Amber DME on the shelves at
Brew Your Own At Home, Kambah, ACT, on the weekend
http://www.brewyourown.com.au/
Phone (02) 6296 1412
Colin has a wide range of stuff & does postal orders.

Peter

Latest posts

Back