Diy Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matho

The Braumiser
Reaction score
well i have finished the pump head of the peristaltic pump that I'm making and I connected it to my drill to try it out.
each revolution delivers 20cc so on the slow speed it was flowing at about 2.5 lpm and at the fast speed it was about 10 lpm

DSCF1184.JPG

DSCF1186.JPG

im planning on driving it with a 3 speed induction motor so thats the next part of the project. ill post pics of the pump head build and drawings later when i have some spare time

cheers matho

That looks great. Breifly thought about the same thing, and I think you have prompted me to act on it!
Just curious what you are using for bearings and support, as I imagine there is a reasonable amount of force exerted.

Hope you keep us updatd on the progress.

Nice work mate.
Peristaltic pumps are nice and simple in design, shouldn't be too difficult to clean either. Great idea!
I think i'll be 'borrowing' this idea. :)
Cheers

yeah ben your right i have two bearing on the shaft one mounted in the timber backing plate and the other behind the first in a bearing cup made out of aluminium plate ill post more pics tomorrow

cheers matho

Hello Steve,

You certainly are a clever chap with a great imigination.
Another great DIY bit of brewing kit.

Regards

Graeme

a better design would've been 2-3 rollers with the hosing going into and out of the housing in a 'U' shape but probably not an issue for higher flow rates at all.

that's a cool pump you've made.
what is the tubing?
do you think you'll have issues with the life of the tubing???

what is the tubing?

Guessing it's the 1/2 silicone tubing available over the place

Looks like a good little project there Steve

Hello Steve,

You certainly are a clever chap with a great imigination.
Another great DIY bit of brewing kit.

Regards

Graeme

thanks graeme we will have to catch up soon

a better design would've been 2-3 rollers with the hosing going into and out of the housing in a 'U' shape but probably not an issue for higher flow rates at all.

mike i was going for flow rate not metering so the single roller gives more cc per revolution and also extends the tubing life as it only goes thru 1 compresion per revolution so i can run it faster giving me more lmp :)

What you using it for Matho??

Cheers Brad

nothing at the moment but ill probably use it first to recirculate the wort thru my cfwc so i can keep the cold break in the ketle as well

what is the tubing?

michael the tubing is 3/8 silicone bought from craft brewer, i know that the tubing will have a limited life and would have prefered to go with neoprene tubing but craftbrewer sells them in 35cm lenghts which is just a bit too small. but at under $8 a metre for the silicone it wont break the bank

Guessing it's the 1/2 silicone tubing available over the place

Looks like a good little project there Steve

thanks ben one day ill run out of projects and i wont know what to do with myself :lol:

well done, i like it, however i agree with mike, a u shape with another roller where your counterweight is would flow the same as there would still only be one compression of tubing per revolution(2 rollers x 180* compression). also the tubing would last longer as its not running back and forth 10mm over rollers per revolution, in turn reducing friction. this would also allow housing to be skinnier, not that this is of any advantage. good work, i look forward to seeing finished product.

ok here's some more pics.

some of the parts

DSCF1167.JPG

crank shaft

DSCF1173.JPG

after welding

DSCF1175.JPG

fitting together

DSCF1182.JPG

rear bearing cap (i had to put another bearing on because the crankshaft wobled too much with just one, with the second one there is no movement at all)

DSCF1183.JPG

cheers matho

Brilliant.
Can you make one will do 12-15 litres a minute without stressing?

hey yorg if you make one out of 150mm pipe with 1/2 inch silicone tubing it would require about 250 rpm to achieve 15 lpm flow which would stress the tubing less but if you want more flow just go for a larger diameter.

cheers matho

michael the tubing is 3/8 silicone bought from craft brewer, i know that the tubing will have a limited life and would have prefered to go with neoprene tubing but craftbrewer sells them in 35cm lenghts which is just a bit too small. but at under $8 a metre for the silicone it wont break the bank

Matho,

The 35cm length was set as it's ideal for our pump. You can purchase any multiple of that in one length.
The neoprene hose is infinitly better for this purpose, especially if transferring cold liquids during filtering, as the silicone will split very quickly.

cheers Ross

Edit: nice work by the way ...

cool ross ill be getting in contact with you guys soon then :D

Back