Diy Coolroom For Under $100 (failed)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the car glycol, not really that good (it freezes ) compared to the real glycol made for the job.Works out just a bit more expensive but well worth the money.
GB

Here is what i did and it works a treat!!! LINK (updates periodically over the 2 pages.)

I have since put 4 warm Fermenters into it at the same time and it had no probs bring them down to temp. I do prefer to drop the temp right down by putting them in the chest freezer first though to save defrosting my glycol/icepack to much.

I have also had it full, Partitioned with 6 fermenters at 10 deg and the rest floated around 20-23 deg. (through Summer ie.33 deg outside)

Sqyre.. ;)

Anyone know where to buy glycol and how much? Anyone got a watercooling rig for their PC they don't want?

Thanks.
I have some food grade glycol here that I am not using. I have 20 litres overall. 6 litres is mixed with water at a 3:1 ratio and the rest is not mixed down. I'm happy to part with all or any of it. It cost me $10 per litre. If anyone is interested just PM me with an offer.

Here is what i did and it works a treat!!! LINK (updates periodically over the 2 pages.)
Sqyre.. ;)

:icon_offtopic:

Wow Sqyre! That's unbelievably cool set up (pun intended) :icon_cheers: . You've inspired me to start chasing down parts for something simular. My ferment fridge is only able to hold 1 x 50lt fementer or 1 x 30lt or 2 x 25lts (and that's a tight squeeze for the 2) at a time. So my fridge is constantly tied up with back log brews plus with consumption/production ratios line ball equal I need to find away to get ahead of consumption. Yes I know drink less Dah! But I have a few mouths I feed other than my own eg father, father in law, next door neighbour, best mate and free loading mates. 40 - 60lts per month.

Not sure if somebody as posted this yet as I've not looked that thoroughly through this thread.

I posted this in another thread last week from the BN Brewing Gadget section. Might be a workable solution.

Warren -

Quick and cheep.

2nd hand chest freezer for under $150 ebay etc
24hr timer (run freezer for 10min, off for 30)

Change out of 150! even under 100 if your luckey. just need to trial settings to keep temp at what your chasing, seasonally adjusted. This is what I use for chilling the finished product and use my fridge mate for brewing!

For some inspiration google Son of Fermentation. It is similar to what you built but uses jugs of ice.

I think the return air would help as it is the same type of system used in the above system with the ice.

Hey Guys, I did some more testing last night...

It seems there is no doubt that a return air pipe is needed. I disconnected the air pipe from the coolroom and held my hand at the end to see how much air and how cold it was.... There was hardly anything blowing down and it was by no means cold. I opened the door to the freezer a crack and whoosh... cold air started really coming out of the pipe.

The only thing I am not sure about now is if I should put the return air pipe back into the freezer or go the easier option and put it back into the side of the fridge.

I'm thinking it will have to go back into the freezer, as I did another quick test by closing the freezer again but opening the fridge door to simulate the return air, and I was back to getting hardly any air out of my pipe again, suggesting to me there is no connection between the fridge and the freezer.

Is it true of all fridge/freezers that they are in somewhay connected internally for air flow/cooling? This fridge is pretty old I think... I'd say mid 80's or so.

Thanks,
Leighton.

Hey Guys, I did some more testing last night...

It seems there is no doubt that a return air pipe is needed. I disconnected the air pipe from the coolroom and held my hand at the end to see how much air and how cold it was.... There was hardly anything blowing down and it was by no means cold. I opened the door to the freezer a crack and whoosh... cold air started really coming out of the pipe.

The only thing I am not sure about now is if I should put the return air pipe back into the freezer or go the easier option and put it back into the side of the fridge.

I'm thinking it will have to go back into the freezer, as I did another quick test by closing the freezer again but opening the fridge door to simulate the return air, and I was back to getting hardly any air out of my pipe again, suggesting to me there is no connection between the fridge and the freezer.

Is it true of all fridge/freezers that they are in somewhay connected internally for air flow/cooling? This fridge is pretty old I think... I'd say mid 80's or so.

Thanks,
Leighton.
you want a fan in the duct work to assist in your air supply. it wont just fall out.(see the link I posted on page1)

Most fridge/freezers are not interconnected. So if you want your return into the fridge you will need to drill a hole from the fridge into the freezer. I personally would not bother, just go with a return line into the freezer. also don't forget you will need frozen bottles or something in the freezer.

QldKev

Most fridge/freezers are not interconnected. So if you want your return into the fridge you will need to drill a hole from the fridge into the freezer. I personally would not bother, just go with a return line into the freezer. also don't forget you will need frozen bottles or something in the freezer.

Instead of drilling more holes, you could just run a smaller pipe inside the current ducting. Just have the pipe extend further into your "cool room" and freezer so that you aren't just cycling air back and forth.

everyone keeps saying you can get 2nd hand fridges/freezers for free and super cheap and stuff. 3 years of scouring ebay and freecycle, I ended up driving into the heart of sydney to pick one up I won on ebay (finally) for the cheapest I'd seen yet, and that was $300 for a 30 year old vulcan 300L. It's dead now.

everyone keeps saying you can get 2nd hand fridges/freezers for free and super cheap and stuff. 3 years of scouring ebay and freecycle, I ended up driving into the heart of sydney to pick one up I won on ebay (finally) for the cheapest I'd seen yet, and that was $300 for a 30 year old vulcan 300L. It's dead now.

Sammus, I have had the same problem. the chest freezer I bought about 2 years ago has just died and I have been searching ebay for the size I want and can't find anything, think I will just go buy a new one. having said this, i did manage to find a small 200 odd litre fridge on ebay for $30 ;)

Dude, I've seen heaps of fridges go on ebay for sub $20......

It's just a matter of patience, honestly if I had a ute I could have 3 fridges here and still have change from $50 with some of the ones I've seen....

Latest posts

Back