Dirty Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pourmeanother

Reaction score
Hi again guys

Just wondering if anybody has a solution to cleaning bottles . Recently bought about 400 Coopers bottles off a fella . Most have had lids put on them to keep them clean , but a wash before the lids being put on would not have hurt . Some are really good , some are really bad . Mould on the inside base very hard to remove . Was wondering if a mix of caustic left in the bottle for some time would solve the problem . Just not satsified that they are 100 % clean and cant bring myself to putting beer in and hoping for the best .

Cheers Todd :icon_drunk:

G'day Todd,

I use the pink lidded Coles nappy wash. It is fragrance free and rips through any gunk in bottles when in a sink with hot water. I then rinse with hot water and sanitise.

Any napisan style wash that's fragrance free is great to use.

Cheers,

Adam

Yep, soak overnight in hot water and napisan.

And if you use bleach don't use to much my mate left some skin in the bucket...

Overnight soak in Sodium Percarbonate (or napisan) and a clean with a bottle brush, should remove any and all accumulated gunk, grime and mould.
Then a dip in an acidified bleach solution should kill any remaining bugs, rinse, dry, and before use dose with a no-rinse sainitser and they'll be as good as new. :)

I soak in a bleach solution for a few hours, rinse until I cant smell bleach & check for scum, then dry them by putting in the oven until there is no moisture left, then put them back in the slab box. They are then ready to use for the next brew.

Thanks Again to everybody

Looks like im off to the supermarket , long time since Ive had to buy Napisan .

Cheers Todd

Latest posts

Back