Diluting At Bottling Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"In cask conditioned beers yeast protects the beer against the adverse
effects of oxygen.
"

I think you underlined the wrong part of your quote.

Can we all get this clear: we're talking about homebrew with freakin YEAST IN THE BOTTLE.

Go look up the difference between "brewery conditioned" and "cask conditioned" and then think about what method more resembles a homebrewer filling bottles. I agree wholeheartedly with you that brewery conditioned (ie. filtered, bright beer) will be adversely affected by oxygen ... but you continue to misunderstand your own quotes. Keep going if you want.

BTW - I have not once said that deliberately introducing oxygen into bottling is a good idea, merely that a little bit of air in the bottling process won't harm your beer because the yeast will consume it.

:icon_cheers: Yours sincerely,

The Prat.

That's not the same thing as saying a little bit of 02 is a good thing because the yeast needs a kick in the pants.

In subsequent clarification you have suggested that you're not talking about deliberate introduction but that's not clear in the first post and misinterpretation of said post could be quite easy.

That's not the same thing as saying a little bit of 02 is a good thing because the yeast needs a kick in the pants.

In subsequent clarification you have suggested that you're not talking about deliberate introduction but that's not clear in the first post and misinterpretation of said post could be quite easy.

I'm not talking deliberate introduction, I'm saying that the O2 in the bottling process is welcomed by the yeast. Filtered beer that has ceased all conditioning - no, keep the O2 out.

Let's revisit the quote above ... "In cask conditioned beers yeast protects the beer against the adverse effects of oxygen. " ...and ask ourselves, "Why is this so?"

Because the yeast enter another aerobic growth phase during secondary.

I'm not arguing for or against that. I'm just suggesting your original post could have been better worded to make your point clearer. As it stands it was open to misinterpretation.

I'm not arguing for or against that. I'm just suggesting your original post could have been better worded to make your point clearer. As it stands it was open to misinterpretation.

You're right, my original post was too loosely worded. You have my most humble apologies - and to Ross as well who also thought that I meant actually aerating the bottles or something.

Latest posts

Back