Dilemma

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizensnips

Reaction score
Yesterday I took a trip to my local hombrew store and purchased the sparkling ale kit along with some liquid malt extract and some goldings hops. I am in a dilemma though because after not brewing for around a year my memory failed me. I remembered that you could re culture the coopers yeast and for some reason thought it only took 1 or 2 nights for the yeast to wake back up. So on my way home i picked up a bottle of sparkling ale. So thinking that this would be ready for my brew tomorrow afternoon i got a rude shock when i went back over some old information of mine and found out you should do it 4-5 days before you plan to pitch. So the question is do i go ahead with the planned brew tomorrow and use the yeast under the lid of the can, or do i wait till most likely what will be next weekend to use the recultured yeast.
P.S please take into account that my brew supplies are running on empty.
Cheers

I reckon wait til next weekend, or better still get another dry yeast (say Danstar nottingham) and get cracking!

Grab some US05 yeast and you'll be right as rain. Toss the kit yeast away.

Funny - I have four days ago just done my first coopers re culture. Took 3 days to a half decent krausen. Now I have added another small 600ml boil up, yesterday actually, and it's off like a rocket. I will use it on Thursday I think after I bottle a brew Thursday morning. At this rate I might just keep it going buy adding another 600ml boil up to it. Should be cranking then. I could just fridge it, but want to get it really going if I time it right, ie the reculture is at peak krausen at pitch.

I agree, I was shocked at how long the coopers yeast took to really get going ~ 4 days.

Oh - and save the US05 yeast cake and keep re using it ( half a cake does one new brew ) upto six batches. So thats 12 brews from one packet :)

Taking 4-5 days to get going sounds like the initial starter size is way too big.

All Ive ever done to reculture coopers yeast is add the sediement from a longneck to 500ml of water and a couple of tablespoons of LDME, leave it for a day or two, then dump it into the fermenter with the wort.

Never had a problem, or noticed it was slow to kick off - but maybe I just wasnt paying enough attention.

couldnt find the thread but read this

View attachment Coopers_Yeast.pdf

i personally would wait and use the coopers yeast for a more authenic "in the style of" no need to wait til the weekend, it only takes alittle bit of time to get it up and running.

I have read about reusing yeast cake etc in here, but is it really worth it?
ok so the kit yeast may not be ideal but how much is a packet of yeast from the LBHS?
Dos it give a much better taste or something?
Also, probably more suited to if you are doing similar beers each time but if you change up wouldn't it affect the final product.

Not knocking doing it, just wondering why you would go to that trouble. i.e. what is the advantage (other than saving having to buy a packet of yeast?

Morning Suds,

Quality of the yeast can have a huge impact on the final brew. Ranging from flavours/aromas (esters) released to attenuation. Kit yeasts are pretty bland and basic and they have the added issue of unknown storage conditions. Ideally dry yeast yeast should be stored cool, however you never know what kind of life experience your kit yeast has had sitting on the sheft/transported etc.

Re-cultured yeast from the Coopers bottle (or any other suitable bottle conditioned beer) can giveyou access to yeast you otherwise wouldn't be able to get your hands on. Coopers yeast is particularly good if you are trying to re-create their Sparkling or Pale Ales. Plus in addition to getting the yeast culture, you also have the added benefit of getting to drink a beer or two while you prepare it!!

Plus a big part of home brewing is experimentation and pushing those boundries in search of a better beer!!!!!

:icon_cheers: SJ

Oright thanks alot guys on the advice i think i will wait and reculture the yeast tonight and brew as soon as it is ready. I think if i have spent good money on the recipe i may aswell go all out and not waste my dollars my using cheap yeast. I may put down a cheapy tonight instead just to get my stocks up.
Cheers

Recultured the yeast last night doing everything to the instructions however i used the coopers brewing sugar instead of dry malt extract. The brewing sugar had dextrose and maltodextrin in it. Is that going to be a problem some how? I didnt worry because i thought it was sugar which is what the yeast needs to get going.
Any thoughts?

All good eddy22 you've got it under control mate, your brew will be fine... :super:

Now get back to brewing son! You don't have time to lurk the forum boards. Don't you have a stock shortage problem to solve? A HB'er can't go dry... it's well... un-Australian to start with! :lol:

Ha cheers yeah dont worry it will be replenished quite nicely within a few weeks, many brews to come.

If you are wanting to reculture a Coopers bottle, i'd do a starter w/increments of 100ml and 500ml rather than just pitching at 500ml. This will increase the cell count you have as they will spend more time in the growth phase. Without a stirplate and intermittant shaking/swirling you would be looking at around 12-18 hours between increments and that period after the last addition before she shall be ready for pitching at full growth.

If you have a relatively 'fresh' bottle, you should have a decent viable colony to work with. Probably just under the cell count of a wyeast smackpack with 100% viability.

The brewing sugar had dextrose and maltodextrin in it. Is that going to be a problem some how?

For future ref, you should always use DME when making starters. Adjuncts such as dex, sucrose etc effect the way the cells grow and multiply as well as effect the attenuation capaabilities of your colony.

Your beer will be fine and taste great, if you have any SG attenuation issues or slow ferments, the above may be the reason why. :)

Cheers! :chug:

hello again just wanting to get your opinion on the situation. The yeast has been in the fridge at a constant 19 degrees however i checked on it the next day after i put it in there and there was no action. I havent checked it since then but im hoping there will be some activity. I was just wanting to know if you guys recon i should pitch it, that is if i can see that the yeast has awoken and how much do i pitch?. And it was 500ml.
cheers
eddy

Another related question. This is the first time ive done this so im a little unsure...

About a week ago I took a steralized coke bottle, poured in 100grams of LDME and the slurry from the bottom of a CPA longneck, then added 1 litre of water. I sat it at around 22-24C with glad wrap over the opening for 4 days about, then I screwed the lid on and put it in the fridge. It will stay in the fridge for another 2 weeks when im ready to pitch it.

Then should I take it out of the fridge and let it sit at 22-24C for a couple of days before pitching?

Does everything sound OK so far?

Also, ive now got a 1kg minus 100g bag of LDME (900grams), should I just use the 900grams when making my wort or should I use a full kilo?

Another related question. This is the first time ive done this so im a little unsure...

About a week ago I took a steralized coke bottle, poured in 100grams of LDME and the slurry from the bottom of a CPA longneck, then added 1 litre of water. I sat it at around 22-24C with glad wrap over the opening for 4 days about, then I screwed the lid on and put it in the fridge. It will stay in the fridge for another 2 weeks when im ready to pitch it.

Then should I take it out of the fridge and let it sit at 22-24C for a couple of days before pitching?

Does everything sound OK so far?

Also, ive now got a 1kg minus 100g bag of LDME (900grams), should I just use the 900grams when making my wort or should I use a full kilo?

Edit : nevermind. I'll learn to read properly one day.

Did you see krausen (floating scum from yeast activity) before you put it in the fridge?

Wait to see signs of yeast activity, then taste it before assuming it's good and not going to infect your beer.

hello again just wanting to get your opinion on the situation. The yeast has been in the fridge at a constant 19 degrees however i checked on it the next day after i put it in there and there was no action. I havent checked it since then but im hoping there will be some activity. I was just wanting to know if you guys recon i should pitch it, that is if i can see that the yeast has awoken and how much do i pitch?. And it was 500ml.
cheers
eddy

Did you see krausen (floating scum from yeast activity) before you put it in the fridge?

Wait to see signs of yeast activity, then taste it before assuming it's good and not going to infect your beer.

Not sure about before I put it in the fridge, but looking at it now, there is krausen around the edges of the bottle above the water line yes. And condensation.

I guess I will leave it out of the fridge for a couple of days before brewing day to see if any more appears before mixing up my CPA. :)

cheers.

Back