Digital Thermostats

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys for the offers but I am in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Might try and find another sparky to see if they quote something similar.

try another sparky for sure....sounds expensive.

Sounds like a sweet trade (pun sort of intended) too bad I am in sydney. :( Sorry Moovet.

Maybe ask a few people at work if they know or are related to an electrician etc....

Regardless, once you get this puppy up and running, you wont look back, expensive or not, your beers will be so much better. Cold crashing, constant fermenting temps, lagers all year round....no more off flavours or 30deg fermentation....its just the ducks nuts!!!

Thanks guys for the offers but I am in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Might try and find another sparky to see if they quote something similar.

Sounds like the sparkie just priced himself out of a job because they didn't want to do it. Just find another brewer/friend/relo that can do it for beer.

Or maybe try a small appliance repair shop? Or a tv repair shop? Both options would probably be more open to doing the work, and often have a shopfront that you can deliver the unit to, rather than them having to make the house call. Also, try to provide all the parts so they are just quoting on the labour. The parts (over and above the thermostat itself) shouldn't cost more than around $20 to buy at Dick Smith or Jaycar.

Or maybe try a small appliance repair shop? Or a tv repair shop? Both options would probably be more open to doing the work, and often have a shopfront that you can deliver the unit to, rather than them having to make the house call. Also, try to provide all the parts so they are just quoting on the labour. The parts (over and above the thermostat itself) shouldn't cost more than around $20 to buy at Dick Smith or Jaycar.

Yeah I like that idea Kaiser

Cheers

The parts (over and above the thermostat itself) shouldn't cost more than around $20 to buy at Dick Smith or Jaycar.

When I built my tempmate the parts were as follows:

Instrument case frm Jaycar: $19.95
2x AC power inputs from John R Turk that fit into the rear panel of the instrument case: $38
Old computer power cables: Free
Getting a mate to wire it up for me: Priceless (nah, actually I gave him a half a dozen bottles of beer)

So $58 + beer, + $74.95 for the tempmate (or $36 for this ebay jobbie)

Project box from DS: $5.95
Extension cord: ~$5
Terminal strip: ~$4
Cable glands/screws/odds and sods: ~$5

Project box from DS: $5.95
Extension cord: ~$5
Terminal strip: ~$4
Cable glands/screws/odds and sods: ~$5

mine was more like this except i got a AC power point - slimline on mine for the fridge connector and the extension cord was a 3M jobby @ 8 bucks.

I wired mine up as per the fridgemate. Throw away them crap instructions you will get no where looking at them. mine is still going but need to get a box not to safe sitting on the concrete with wires going everywhere. At least I am the only one that goes into the shed :p
yep them instructions are very helpfull :lol: but it is easy to figure out once you look at the tempmate wiring posted over this site. Has any one tested these units for acuracy???
Ebay feedback must have made it all the way to AHB.
Mine arrived with an additional instruction sheet, which I think is actually easier to understand then the tempmate one:
stc1000.jpg

As a backup to my Tempmate and to be used infrequently only to cold-crash and lager, there was no need to get fancy:
STC-1000 - $31.56
2x 3m extension cords - $7
Plastic box - $1
Terminal block and some cable ties.
stc1000_1.jpg

Holes and wires cut and ready.
stc1000_2.jpg

All wired up.
stc1000_3.jpg

And tucked away neatly.
stc1000_4.jpg

Wolfy, that is a very flash looking jiffy box. They're very versatile. Temp controllers, stir plates and you can even put your lunch in them. I've got the same controller in the drawer here. It's about time I got it hooked up so I think I'll pick up one of these multi-purpose boxes.

As a backup to my Tempmate and to be used infrequently only to cold-crash and lager, there was no need to get fancy:
STC-1000 - $31.56
2x 3m extension cords - $7
Plastic box - $1
Terminal block and some cable ties.
stc1000_1.jpg

Holes and wires cut and ready.
stc1000_2.jpg

All wired up.
stc1000_3.jpg

And tucked away neatly.
stc1000_4.jpg

Are you able to clarify what is on the end of each white cable, which are male and which are female, which is to mains etc?

Great Idea with the cable tie heads to stop the leads being pulled out.
I have to admit Barls did a nice job of hooking mine up to an old extension cable in about 5 minutes.
I just cut a hole in the cardboard box mine came in and rigged it in that although i am thinking it might be a wise
idea to try out the Tupperware alternative. I better wait for this brew to finish first :)

I have spent some time tinkering with this and have attempted to draw up some schematics for the wiring of the STC-1000.
I had a leco hardwire mine to my fridge and now want to make up a protable unit too.

I did it from the photo earlier and am hoping for some feedback to see if it 100% correct as to the photo.

EDIT: The cables in the diagram are respective to their position in the box in the photo, as is the cable connector.
EDIT: Added original photo too.
EDIT: I am assuming the bottom "Lead" is the main power supply but am unsure as yet which is which with the left and right "Leads"

Please ensure you have everything installed by a licenced electrician and save your own life etc...If you do attempt this yourself you are doing it at YOUR own risk!!!
PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS DRAWING AS A WIRING DIAGRAM UNTIL IT IS 100% CORRECT - YOUR HOUSE AND BEER MAY BURN DOWN AS A RESULT, AND WE WOULDN'T WANT THAT NOW WOULD WE!!!

STC_100_Schematics.JPG

STC_100_Thermo.jpg

Latest posts

Back