Digital Thermostats

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Australia, devices which are double insulated (ie, there are two layers of insulation between any mains wires or terminals and the user) do not need to be earthed. Anything with a metal chassis will usually be earthed. Since you're putting this in a plastic box, it shouldn't be a problem that it's not earthed, but there are probably a dozen reasons it wouldn't meet Australian Standards. RDWHAHB
Makes sense

Thanks

Guys,

Considering that the dig thermo on ebay has a cooling and heating, how could you use the heating side of it? Not that i imagine i would use this often, as when its that cold, it lager time, but still....hear this out.

Wire up the therm as previously discussed in this thread, but then chuck a heatpad or heatbelt onto your fermenter, that way if it gets too cold then u have a heater too.

I would think it would be a good idea to make sure the probe is either in the ferm or attached to the outside, so you are reading wort temps not air temps. Otherwise you will get a boiled brew? :D

thoughts? whats a better way to heat? kettle element in the wort?? They are cheap at jaycar...(okay, the kettle element was a joke, dont shoot)

other option is a light globe as a heat source.

What part of the fridge are you guys passing the temp sensor cord through? Just through the door seal?

If you're using a heat source where are you passing the heat source cord through, the same spot?

Cheers

What part of the fridge are you guys passing the temp sensor cord through? Just through the door seal?

If you're using a heat source where are you passing the heat source cord through, the same spot?

Cheers

Me: Condensation Drain.
Others: Door Seal.
Losers: A badly-drilled hole... :p :p

Yes, it wouldn't work. An RTD is much more precise than an NTC thermistor (probably much more precise than is necessary for fridge control), but the controller needs to be designed to handle it. Some controllers can handle different probe types and can calibrate for different component values, but most (like this one) are designed for a specific sensor type and value.

Ok got to wiring my unit up.

I checked it against my Fridgemate and also the Tempmate thread and I'm pretty darn sure I have it all correct.

BUT before I plug it in I am going to wait till I get some feedback to say its right.

Haven't wired in the sensor yet...but want the other wiring checked.

Cheers, Pok

Overview.jpg

Earth comes in from the supply (IEC – on right), and fed directly to both GPO’s via a joiner.

Neutral comes from supply, to switch on IEC, out of switch to port 2 on unit. Looped out of port 2 on the unit to a joiner. From joiner to both GPO’s.

Active comes from supply, to switch on IEC , out of switch to a joiner. Joiner feeds port 1, 5 and 7. Active leaves unit (switched) from port 6 to GPO for Heating, from port 8 for Cooling

IEC Supply / Switch wiring:

IEC_switch.jpg

looks right. The only thing a little unclear in the pic is how you wired the switch.

edit : just looked at the pic - yep thats fine identical to how mine is wired excepting that I only switched the active on the switch too CBFd with extra wires :p

looks right. The only thing a little unclear in the pic is how you wired the switch.

edit : just looked at the pic - yep thats fine identical to how mine is wired excepting that I only switched the active on the switch too CBFd with extra wires :p

Cool, thanks for the reply.

I also emailed LC to get him to check it...always good to have things double and triple checked when its electricity on the other end.

Given he gives the all clear its fermenting time tomorrow night ..... about time!!!

Cheers, Pok

Yup, looks fine in terms of wires going to the right places. Cables could be a bit shorter and tidier, maybe some cable ties. It's a bit odd that you've used a screw terminal to split the active, but the neutral loops through the controller first - those terminals are smaller than the screw terms and not really designed for branching. Then again, neither are the screw terminals - that's what a BP connector is for. Also, see the small holes on the side of the mains sockets? The wires should pass through those before going to the connectors, it provides strain relief. Not a huge problem, since the wires can't be pulled on when the box is closed. Good job otherwise.
BTW, how are you passing your sensor wires through the chassis?

Yup, looks fine in terms of wires going to the right places. Cables could be a bit shorter and tidier, maybe some cable ties. It's a bit odd that you've used a screw terminal to split the active, but the neutral loops through the controller first - those terminals are smaller than the screw terms and not really designed for branching. Then again, neither are the screw terminals - that's what a BP connector is for. Also, see the small holes on the side of the mains sockets? The wires should pass through those before going to the connectors, it provides strain relief. Not a huge problem, since the wires can't be pulled on when the box is closed. Good job otherwise.
BTW, how are you passing your sensor wires through the chassis?

Thanks LC. On the note of the looping of the neutral...I did that one first then decided to use the terminal to split the active..its easy enough to do the same way but I figured it makes no difference. Was just a change of approach 1/2 way.

As for the strain relief on the outlets...I didnt even think of that...it did cross my mind what those holes were for but didnt really think too hard about it...but considering the whole thing is enclosed its not going to move.

As for the sensor wires...for now I think I will just drill a hole and place the cable through this...I will get myself a "headphone jack" or something similar next time I'm at jaycar/dse and put a plug in it so the enclosure is entirely seperate from the cables.

Good to see I did it right...well mostly :p

Thanks guys.

Now to get this thing fired up so I can ferment my beer!!!!

Cheers, Pok

For those wanting a set of instructions for their "Ebay Temp Controller" to print out, laminate and stick with their controller attached is a version for you to print out.

got my unit up and running...will leave it till tomorrow night to pitch my ferment....mmm can smell it now ...yay!!

Cheers, Pok

settings.jpg

I found the instructions supplied with this unit easier to understand than the instructions with my fridgemate!

I think its a little pissa for the price I cant fault it.

Thanks Pok,

I cant wait to get mine. Already printed your instructions and ready to go. Its on its was from HK to my door as we speak. Maybe it has a window seat?

What sort of fridge are you running it with? I was thinking of getting a approx 200L fridge/freezer combination. That way (just in case) if I am not brewing, then I unplug the dig thermo and use the fridge as a party/overflow fridge etc. Sounds raesonable?

Also, I fixed my wine fridge today. It was an evap sensor. Had to pull the thing to pieces to get it sorted. Now I need to decide if I should keep the fridge or sell it to fund a fermentation fridge :)

Rendo

For those wanting a set of instructions for their "Ebay Temp Controller" to print out, laminate and stick with their controller attached is a version for you to print out.

got my unit up and running...will leave it till tomorrow night to pitch my ferment....mmm can smell it now ...yay!!

Cheers, Pok

View attachment 35442

sell its and fund a fridge for fermenting.

As for a fridge freezer - I think they are a waste for our needs. Most fridge freezers work by keeping the freezer cold and then using the freezer to cool the fridge space - some just by vents and some by using a fan setup.
I reacon you'd be able to pick up a decent 2nd hand full fridge and a fridge freezer for what you'll get for that wine fridge

Thanks Pok,

I cant wait to get mine. Already printed your instructions and ready to go. Its on its was from HK to my door as we speak. Maybe it has a window seat?

What sort of fridge are you running it with? I was thinking of getting a approx 200L fridge/freezer combination. That way (just in case) if I am not brewing, then I unplug the dig thermo and use the fridge as a party/overflow fridge etc. Sounds raesonable?

Also, I fixed my wine fridge today. It was an evap sensor. Had to pull the thing to pieces to get it sorted. Now I need to decide if I should keep the fridge or sell it to fund a fermentation fridge :)

Rendo

No need to unplug it, just set your temp that you want everything to be chilled to and you will know how cold your beer is. :icon_cheers:

Back