Digiboil 35l

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philired1

Reaction score
Hi all. I have been using my digiboil mainly for BIAB. I have purchased an up grade which includes malt pipe ,support ring and bottom screen. I have been trying to setup a equipment profile in brewfather. I have read that people are using brewzilla 35l profile which has a 6.7 dead space. The digiboil has 7.4l. I recently did a 15l batch using 3.14 kg of grain. I have 2ls of space below the tap. I have a 3l boil of. Looking at the volume of water above the base screen it did not look enough. Using 3l/kg so went with full boil. 3.14x3+7.4=16.82l with 9.4l above screen. This is using grainfather formula

Using the greater dead space of 7.4 is more conservative of an estimate than the 6.7l provided by Brewfather. You should be right with what you have done. For your mash. Did the mash seem thick or thin once all mixed together? You can always adjust the Brewfather settings to make them your own. They are simply there as a recommendation.

How did you measure your deadspace? I'm pretty sure that adding the BZ malt pipe to a digiboil would make it the same as a BZ as they should be the same boiler.

Using the greater dead space of 7.4 is more conservative of an estimate than the 6.7l provided by Brewfather. You should be right with what you have done. For your mash. Did the mash seem thick or thin once all mixed together? You can always adjust the Brewfather settings to make them your own. They are simply there as a recommendation.

How did you measure your deadspace? I'm pretty sure that adding the BZ malt pipe to a digiboil would make it the same as a BZ as they should be the same boiler.
Just measured the dead space. Took the screen out of the pipe. It measure 4 inches (100mm) from bottom of boiler to lip on the malt pipe. Just over 7 ls being 300mm in diam.

You can double check by filling with water until you see in it coming through the bottom of the screen then dump that water into a reliable measuring jug or weigh it. You can also increase/decrease your water to grist ratio as you see fit. You will often find people going as low as 2.5 litres and up to 3.5l or even full volume mashes.

I could be wrong but I thought dead space was not just the liquid under your bottom screen but also the liquid between the side of the unit and the side of the malt pipe which is obviously a lot more difficult to measure which is why you just keep making small adjustments untill you get good efficiency.

Latest posts

Back