Diet Beer, Yeh Im Serious!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other answer is all too simple, make sure you exert more energy than you consume daily......

Other than a few medical difficulties (ie thyroid), that's all you have to remember. Make your energy used greater than your energy consumed (this is coming from someone with about 10kg's to lose and know it can be hard!).

Don't feel bad about "diet" beers etc, all the low carb marketing has a bad influence here. You're not the only one to forget the calories in alcohol that's for sure!!

I'm finding that after drinking better homebrew and good beer (ie craft beer) I naturally drink less. I enjoy the flavour so much more now and it ends up being sipped rather than skolled.

SNIP...................Thanks for replies.
at 35 they are getting a IT, Sound Enginner to work on a road gang. and you know what I get per fortnight? 200$ yep.
So doing that will certanly help.

:icon_offtopic: You should be getting over 500 a FN (unfortunately have a son on the dole ATM so I'm fairly familiar with the rates) and about another $20 for work for the dole. Wahoo.

:icon_offtopic: Sad one here Bribie, that wouldn't even cover our rent.......

:icon_offtopic: Me neither, (I'm a renter, have owned 2 houses and wives got both of them, should have kept Mr Happy in my pants :p and SWMBO had a nice acreage property that her ex swindled her out of) ....just querying the 200 bucks. Mind you, if the Cerveza flu kills the same proportion of Australians as the Spanish Flu of 1918 they reckon the equivalent of the population of Wollingong would die, and the effects on the property market and rentals would be spectacular. :ph34r:

Aim for about 4.5% and you're not doing too bad calorie wise.

Much of what you said in the rest of this post is good advice but the above is not so good. You'll see plenty of guys around the place with massive beer guts drinking 4.3% commercial brews. Sorry, not meaning to have a go, just want to put that out there.

^^^ QB heads off to Channel 10 to sell his new weight loss reality TV idea The Biggest Boozer :p

:icon_cheers: SJ
That sounds like a pretty good pub-crawl theme! :beerbang:
I Should have known. I was walking through the city on my way home, and what do I see? ....

BiggestBoozer.JPG

With thanks to the random chick that let me take a photo of her. Classy! What can I say?

Iron_y.JPG

And it's not even the Uni I go to!!! (we have at least three here - I can't be expected to keep up with all their wheelings and dealings).

Three issues with drinking beer and wanting to lose weight

1. The alcohol - it affects your liver's ability to metabolise food, good liver = able to eat what you like (well pretty much). Your liver is more important to your body than your brain believe it or not.
2. The carbohydrates - everyone knows (now) that too many carbs are bad for you, especially the ones that metabolise in to sugar very quickly ie. the ones in beer
3. Carbon Dioxide - it sits in your gut and aside from making you burb it contributes to bloating, giving you the look of a "fat man".

If you're going to insist on drinking beer, then keep it low alcohol, low carb, low co2 and no more than 3 standard drinks per week.

Uh... Nope.

Not to turn this in to a school yard fight but...

Uh... Yes.

It's well documented that co2 causes bloating and that carbonated drinks contribute to it.

You're talking about bloat, dude.

Bloating is much more likely to occur due to stomach intolerances of dextrins/carbohydrates. This explains why many people like low-carb beer, it lacks dextrins and doesn't bloat them.

If you're getting CO2 trapped in your stomach in large quantities, either you're drinking way too fast or you need your Mummy to come and burp you!

EDIT: Besides... how does that affect weight gain/loss?

Many years ago i gave up drinking :eek: (something to do with alcohol poisoning bloody top shelf) and i put on weight Why!?!? because i stopped running around like a idiot :lol: yep get pissed then run around like an idiot :p that will fix you and you can still drink that lovely Beer B)

Bloating is much more likely to occur due to stomach intolerances of dextrins/carbohydrates. This explains why many people like low-carb beer, it lacks dextrins and doesn't bloat them.

If you're getting CO2 trapped in your stomach in large quantities, either you're drinking way too fast or you need your Mummy to come and burp you!

EDIT: Besides... how does that affect weight gain/loss?

Bloating has to do with your intestine not your stomach and two of the many things to avoid are alcohol and carbonated drinks, funnily enough beer is both!. Yes I'm aware of what you are talking about in regards to the sensation of fullness a carbonated drink will give you which is trapped CO2 in the stomach. Plus of course if you're drinking your beer way too fast you're going to encounter points 1 and 2.

How it affects your weight loss is two-fold, who in their right minds feel like going for a jog when they're bloated and secondly it's the visual appearance of a paunch. So having bloating isn't necessarily going to make you heavier unless of course you've got a seriously big bowel obstruction, but it will aftect your ability to lose weight.

In general if you want to lose weight stop drinking alcohol and smoking, exercise more, vary your diet and increase your vitamin intake. You can attempt to go on a diet, but lets face it if you want to manage your weight you need to manage your lifestyle.

A previous poster said drink the same type of beer, just less of it, pretty good idea.

I don't think it's my place to tell people what they should drink, either from a health perspective (not being an MD) nor from a taste POV, that's too personal so I will keep my opinions on canoe beer to myself. :p

There are some kits on the market with the "Dry Enzyme" built in, so you get them at no extra cost, in order of ascending cost:-
Beermakers 1.7Kg Lager (value pick)
Blackrock 1.5 Kg Dry Lager
Blackrock 1.5 Kg Mexican Cerveza
Brewcraft Imported 1.5 KG Mexican Cerveza (flavour pick)
Morgan's Chairman's Selection Cortes (another Mexican - the enzyme is in the can, not under the lid)

If you ferment with pure dextrose, rather than a malt or malt mix you will get the lowest "carb" count, down the bottom of this page is an energy calculator, you will need an hydrometer tho.

Hope that this helps, good luck with the job hunting.
MHB

Latest posts

Back