Diet Beer, Yeh Im Serious!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ade42

Reaction score
Yep Ive hit that "critical" year that most of the men on my father's side get to and then "bloat" if not very very carefull. 34!

Ok ive read most of the other posts on here bout "diet Beer"
and iluminating comments like.

"whats the point, a packet of samboys with your brew and it may as well been "real" beer"

ok not a direct quoute, but to the point, and a bloody good point as well.

But im afraid i am serious, Ive just started a real diet. and am exercicing a few hrs a day (don't work you see, 1500 job aplications in 6 months , nothing...)

So ive been a bit bloody depressed and done sweet FA and put the kilos on.

Soooooo.

If i wanted to make a Dry"ish" type of beer with say Dry Enzime what would be the "perfect" kit to start with.
I made a Morgans Queenslander bitter that finished at 1.000 (broke the hydro on the before i did OG!)
Used S-04 yeast (my first dabble with "proper" yeasts)

I used one of those brigalow "finishing hop" tablets (never again) and it wasent that bad.
Ok watery, but still with a nice dry "edge" of course a few weeks in the bottle could make it undrinkable. but we shall see.

I lost a LOT of weight early last year, buy cutting out all meat, Drinking Red "cask" wine, and walking 2 hrs a day, and of course eating like a sparrow. I had to do this for a acting job and of course afterwards I got back on the Beer train and Im again at 89ish kilos!

So what I want to ask is what KIT could I make with a Dry result.
I would only be using DEX as this ferments all the way out?

Just somthing drinkable, I would probally make up a few batchs of it and start making "real" beer again.

I lost a LOT of weight early last year, buy cutting out all meat, Drinking Red "cask" wine, and walking 2 hrs a day, and of course eating like a sparrow.

I'm sure you may have read in your searching that alcohol is the main source of calories in beer? If you drink half the beer you normally drink, or drink light beer, your calorific intake will drop substantially.

Here we go. I know you started this with good intentions, but buckle up for a ride which I like to call 'This is what I think of X'. In this case, X will be low-carb beers and/or dry enzyme.

I'll try and help by pointing out that a dry enzyme will reduce the total carbohydrate content by changing sugars to alcohol more efficiently. This will not necessarily reduce the total calories.

If you want a 'lower calorie' beer, why not try brewing a mild? I'm about to ferment a super-mild (hopefully ~2.5% abv) that I brewed last weekend. I'll let you know how it goes (and what the predicted calorie count is).

Good luck.

While this idea may not make me popular 'round these parts just hear me out...consider continuing to make the beer you enjoy and just drink less of it until you get to whatever target weight you've set. This method will make the weight-loss happen quicker than drinking more of a low-carb alternative anyway.

+1 for the mild (reduced alcohol) brew rather than the diet beer brew. It's the calories, rather than the carbs that will hurt you here.

:icon_cheers: SJ

+1 for the mild (reduced alcohol) brew rather than the diet beer brew. It's the calories, rather than the carbs that will hurt you here.

+2
Sully brewed DrS's Lite Session which was only 2.7% ABV IIRC (SULLY?). Very nice tasty sessionable beer. And there lies the problem it was too good as a sessionable beer. Drank heaps.

Moderation is the name of the game.

We have also yet to mention the increase in calories burned by lifting your glass, swallowing and walking to the beer fridge twice as often!

We have also yet to mention the increase in calories burned by lifting your glass, swallowing and walking to the beer fridge twice as often!
Ingredients for weight-loss;

1. Very tasty beer.
2. Headmaster Glass
3. Extra-Strength super glue
4. Barbell.

Attach barbell to bottom of glass with super glue, fill glass with beer, attempt to drink. The phrase "I'm going to do a six-pack of reps" may be useful :chug:

I find that by delaying beer o'clock by one hour and getting up an hour earlier and doing vigourous stuff like putting through a load of washing, doing the floors or even shock horror going for a walk to the bridge and back, I am maintaining a reasonable weight although definitely drinking a lot more calories than I did a year ago when I was a cask wino.

Off to do the mowing now if I can get off the forum. Nooooooooooooo ..........

Ade, just noticed your location, I reckon where you live you should get a pair of kt26s and get into jogging and if that suits you the Brisbane Road Runners have a meet every second Sunday not far away from you on the River bank opposite Toowong. I used to do the 10k and even ended up in the top third of SEQ 10k runners at the ripe old of 46 (few years ago now). Just a thought. Good networking as well. ;)

^^^ QB heads off to Channel 10 to sell his new weight loss reality TV idea The Biggest Boozer :p

if you want to seriously loose a fair bit of weight.. Dont drink!

or excercise like a demon!

Both is even better.

Consider a dry month, brew and exercise heavily during that month, at the end of the month you will be fitter, and have a heap of semi matured beer.....

The other answer is all too simple, make sure you exert more energy than you consume daily......

Thanks for replies.
Diddn't know about alcohol puts on pounds! thanks for that tip.

Yeah low % stuff is just what Im looking to make soon.

But yeah Ive been guilty of been very lazy in the last 2 months and putting on 5kg.
Sitting in front of computer applying for 30 jobs a day has Something to do with it!

I do likes me drinkys but I know what it can do for me, and a dry month does sound good. and horrifying at the same time.
and of course the first 6 or so brews I have competed have had 2kg's of sugur (BE2 or dex). now ive cut that down to whatever is recomended.
I had grand ideas of making super brews, untill i tasted them and had my first hangover in 10 years.
I want to start stockpiling soon and not drink for a bit, It looks like Ill have to start
"Working for the Dole" next week. at 35 they are getting a IT, Sound Enginner to work on a road gang. and you know what I get per fortnight? 200$ yep.
So doing that will certanly help.

but getting back to the original question

Is there a "diet" use for dry enzimes? I know it generates more Alcohol but if i was to reduce the amount of dex added to say 250G whould this make a low % beer with low carbs?

or would it make watery wee juice?

Just a Idea

ROTFL ..... Chappo Mr Moderation... HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

:icon_offtopic:
+1 - I'm just wondering whether it is drunk Chappo or sober Chappo that controls the moderation dial. Hmmmm :icon_drunk:
Back OT, there are a lot of good suggestions here Ade42 for getting your calorie intake down. Weight loss in it's simplest terms has to be a case of altering your diet and/or activity/exercise so that output is greater than input. Sorry to hear that things haven't picked up on the job front. Have you managed to turn out some tasty brews and get your temp control issues sorted out?

Cheers, GG

From my understanding, the best thing you can do to lose weight is to reduce your drinking all together, or switch up to something else less calorific/diffrent to beer. Drinks like Vodka and bourbon tend to have about 400kj per shot on average, so if you only want to hve 1-2 you're doing better than ~650kj per can of guiness or kilkenny (They've actually got the energy content on them, which is handy IMO). On the other hand, it's alot more expensive to switch to a non-brutal spirit than it is to brew your own beer. Can you mash all grain or partial? If you're really keen on drinking beer and losing serious weight, you're probably better off making something like a blonde ale or a lager all grain or partial style and mashing real low. Aim for about 4.5% and you're not doing too bad calorie wise. Unfortunately, drinking full stop isn't very conducive to weight loss, you may have to cut back seriously to have a decent bash at it. I found it was only possibly to lose weight when I was not drinking or drinking moderate amounts of spirits very occassionally :(.

Latest posts

Back