Diesel's Brewing Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck_d

Reaction score
Sup folks? I found your forum from a linked post on brews-bros. I figured I'd pop in and let you all know about the brewing spreadsheet that I've been working on for quite awhile. I have it online available free. Currently it only supports the latest version of Excel (2007 on Windows, 2008 on Mac) but due to requests I'm working on porting it over to OpenOffice in the near future so people without the latest Excel can still use it.

My site has a full user's guide, and a small forum for any questions, bug reports, feature requests, etc.

http://dieseldrafts.com

Hope you guys find a use for it.

BTW, does anyone know of Stephanie Rice is still available? Can't wait to watch her and Hoff in the IM in Rome.

Wow - and welcome to AHB.
What an amazing amount of work has gone into that!
I've just started looking. Gonna take me a while to understand all of it.
Top work for sharing too.

Where's the "click for metric" button? ;)

Wilbier

Wow - and welcome to AHB.
What an amazing amount of work has gone into that!
I've just started looking. Gonna take me a while to understand all of it.
Top work for sharing too.

Where's the "click for metric" button? ;)

Wilbier

Haha, you know I've been personally thinking about composing my batches in liters. I use 5 gallon (19L) kegs, but I've also got 5L kegs that I use as mini-casks. So the math just works out a bit easier to fill both of those from one batch. It's probably a little bit of work, but I'll put it on the TODO list. I didn't even really think about that when posting to Aussies.

Thanks for the kind words. There probably is a bit of a learning curve on the sheet; I try to make it all encompasing for my brewing needs.

Firstly i'd like to say! Holy COW! this is so very thorough it's unbelievable! From an amateur's point of view, i think this is the 'beez neez' of spreadsheets.

Only thing i would like to see is the conversion to metric units, but the rest is brilliant! An i'll try to trawl through the forums to find the JW and other aussie grains and their efficiencies to update the list with (or i'll steal them from others).

I'm VERY VERY VERY impressed! thanks!

Hey Dude!

I came across a problem with the calender and i think the reason was because of the date formats we use over here. You use mm/dd/yyyy where as we use dd/mm/yyyy. I had a look at the excel programming and think i've fixed it for this date change.

i'll PM what i think should fix this!

thanks again for doing the hard work on it though!

EDIT: Can other users see if they have this problem with the calender, change the month and see if you get a "Value" error

Hey Dude!

I came across a problem with the calender and i think the reason was because of the date formats we use over here. You use mm/dd/yyyy where as we use dd/mm/yyyy. I had a look at the excel programming and think i've fixed it for this date change.

i'll PM what i think should fix this!

thanks again for doing the hard work on it though!

Thanks for the catch. I have a couple of other bug fixes I need to port over to the release file listed here: http://dieseldrafts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5 If you've got a fix I'll include it in my next release.

Posting on this board has certainly highlighted one area I forgot to include in my test planning: Globalization. I had thought about the liters/kg adjustments but I figured since I'm American based I should stick with the crowd for releasing it, plus it's how my homebrew shops sell grains so I should pounds. Let me know if you find any other globalization issues. One thing that makes this less of a pain to the user is the column of conversions calculators. They're right on the page when you're working with Calculators tab, and a quick tip is that keyboard shortcuts Ctrl-Page Up and Ctrl-Page Down switch tabs in the workbook. So you can flip back & forth while entering grains/hops/volumes right now.

Back