Die Damn You Die!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraig20

Reaction score
OK, a bit of an odd take on airlock questions.

A couple of months back I started a 2can stout as a quick winter warmer before the cold weather set in. Long story, but I didnt beat the cold weather, and its still sitting in the fermenter.

The problem is, the bloody thing wont stop bubbling! Gravity is about where it should be at 1.016, but its still bubbling happily (about one bloop every five minutes). Im wondering if it may just be the brew slowly evaporating due to the heat belt? Ambient temps are getting below 10C, while the brew is about 20C. With a good seal, could enough evaporation be happening to cause the airlock to bubble?

Im thinking of pouring it on the lawn just to teach the other brews a lesson <_<

temp and pressure cause continuing bubbling. if the SG is stable its ready to bottle.

I used to think airlock bubbling meant continued ferment but I was incorrect. CO2 can still be coming out of solution and cause bubbling. How does it taste and why would you want to throw away beer?

I used to think airlock bubbling meant continued ferment but I was incorrect. CO2 can still be coming out of solution and cause bubbling. How does it taste and why would you want to throw away beer?

It tastes fine. Its just been a difficult batch - stalled three times due to cold weather. First time Ive ever had to take the lid off a fermenter and physcially stir the trub up.

That it has stalled so many times has made me a bit paranoid about bottling it.

I dont think that it could be CO2 coming out of solution though - its been bubbling along like this for a couple of weeks now.

If it tastes fine and is at correct FG bottle (or keg) that sucker up!

A little, but not really.

I would hazard a guess that the fizz is CO2 and your airlock is super efficient.
I certainly wouldn't throw it away if it's tasting good. That's beer you're talking about. Mmmmmmmm beer.
I'm not expert but you could try leaving it a bit longer. Why not prime a single bottle, fill it and leave it inside wrapped tightly in plastic? If it's not blown up in two weeks, I'd say go for it.

Hell, I hope butters is still recovering from last night and doesn't get to see this thread! :D

:lol:

As others have stated, the airlock will continue to bubble with fluctuation in temperature and pressure. If it tastes ok, it probably is ok. Manticles suggestion is perfect....bottle one, keep it under controlled and safe conditions, and if it carbonates properly, and not excessively, then bottle the lot.

:lol:

As others have stated, the airlock will continue to bubble with fluctuation in temperature and pressure. If it tastes ok, it probably is ok. Manticles suggestion is perfect....bottle one, keep it under controlled and safe conditions, and if it carbonates properly, and not excessively, then bottle the lot.

But he may be waiting another two weeks for that one bottle to carb up. He's already said he put it together a couple of months back! I bet it was done 6 weeks ago ......Id be checking to see if its 1016 over the next couple of days. If so, bottle it.

Cheers
Steve

If it came to a choice between waiting a bit and watering the lawn as originally suggested, I know what I'd be doing. Bottle now if not concerned, bottle one and wait if concerned but keep it one way or the other.

I'd also play safe if concerned and bottle 1. the remainder could stay cold in a fridge perhaps.

this is obviously not an option but it'd be a good 1 to store in a keg while the bottle carb'd up

I think this could be a good cause to bottle in pet, just to be safe. cheers Greg

It tastes fine. Its just been a difficult batch - stalled three times due to cold weather. First time Ive ever had to take the lid off a fermenter and physcially stir the trub up.

That it has stalled so many times has made me a bit paranoid about bottling it.

I dont think that it could be CO2 coming out of solution though - its been bubbling along like this for a couple of weeks now.

From a purely scientific viewpoint, CO2 isn't very soluble in aqueous solutions...

So whilst CO2 is generated during the fermentation process and some of it dissolves in the wort/beer it is a gas at standard temperature and pressure so will come out of solution given the chance.

The 1 'bloop/gloop' in 5 minutes tells me that this is what is happening. Not fast enough (assuming a good seal) to indictae fermentation.

If you still aren't convinced think about what happens to a 'fizzy' glass of beer/soft drink/wine if its left to sit for a few hours. What happens to the carbonation?

Science lesson over
DrSmurto

Ah, I'm glad someone else is having this concern. I was semi concerned my fermenation was never going to end on my K&K Pale Ale that is still slowly bubbling away atm, with no change on the SG for the last 4 days.

Bottle day tomorrow. Now just need to work out what to put in the fermentor next.

Back