Did I Waste 9 Bucks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
Just picked up 2 tins of Woolworths Homebrand lager goop for $4.45 each....

plan is to pretend they're an extract - do a boil, add some grain, hop em up and use some US-05...

has anyone had any experience with homebrand tins? are they aweful? have i blown my $9? i just bought them to give myself a challenge and see what i can make from them.

Received wisdom suggests that boiling them removes basically all the flavour anyway. As long as the goop isn't as old as you are I reckon you'll be right.

(Remember that the bitterness doesn't boil off though)

You can also add the kit yeast to the boil as a yeast nutrient ^_^

:lol: I've given up on out of date cans, have had 3 bad beers out of 4. Finish out sickly sweet and pretty much undrinkable for anyone. I have put down a stout so maybe that will end up ok.

Made a toucan from 2 x coopers bitter cans 7 years out of date (november 2003 use by) last year, when I acquired some bottles.

PRobably needed some more hop character, but certainly okay.

I think with that much use-by date, it's the same theory as made beer - the longer you go, the more the bitterness wears out. In this case, there was no bitterness from the tin, so I needed to hop it out.

Decent feedback from those who like no-too-bitter dark ales, though.

Cheers

Goomba

Not sure what the home brand ones are like. But my brother used to do a lot of K&K. I asked him what the best brew he made was. His reply was surprisingly the Bi-Lo tin with Cooper Be2!

Worst case, like Wolfy said, will make good starters!

Can always make yeast-starters with them. :)
+1 for that they are very good for that, built up a vial of 2206 with with a HB lager and was suprised with the run off thought it would make a great lawn mower beer.

Can always make yeast-starters with them. :)

Wolfy, have been thinking about doing just this.

Question, if you have any leftover goo when using them for a starter, what's the deal with storing the excess? Anything to be careful about in particular??
I'm assuming that the standard can size of 1.7kg, would be "open" for the best part of a week if you stepped up a starter a couple of times....

Cheers,
Nath

:lol: I've given up on out of date cans, have had 3 bad beers out of 4. Finish out sickly sweet and pretty much undrinkable for anyone. I have put down a stout so maybe that will end up ok.
hi tim, that wouldn't happen to have been "blackrock dry lager for 5 bucks a can from the local hbs?
yup, i got burnt too, tastes like sweet burnt cardboard, other can is decorating the top of my fridge.
could use it as a door stop i suppose.

:D yeah, i bought a brewcraft irish stout, 2 black rock lagers and a morgans pilsner and i think only the stout is going to end up drinkable. Just puts me off kits even more.

:D yeah, i bought a brewcraft irish stout, 2 black rock lagers and a morgans pilsner and i think only the stout is going to end up drinkable. Just puts me off kits even more.

Made a brew with two Coles Lager cans when they were still being sold, got better with age but by no means a great brew. Drinkable. I kind of set myself the challenge to make a beer as cheap as possible, the cans were $2.50 each because of the discontinue of their home brew line.

In hindsight i would definately spend the extra money to buy better tins, Even coopers orginals are only an extra $5 and you can pimp those kits into some seriously drinkable beers.

Taste notes on those generic cans was bit too sweet with a strange lingering malt taste. Not very clean.

Question, if you have any leftover goo when using them for a starter, what's the deal with storing the excess? Anything to be careful about in particular??
I'm assuming that the standard can size of 1.7kg, would be "open" for the best part of a week if you stepped up a starter a couple of times....
I just stored the open can of goo in the fridge with some extra cling-wrap over the top, seemed to be fine for the month(s) that I kept it there for, it gets boiled up when the starter is made anyway.

I just stored the open can of goo in the fridge with some extra cling-wrap over the top, seemed to be fine for the month(s) that I kept it there for, it gets boiled up when the starter is made anyway.

Thanks Wolfy, thought it might be that simple, but if you don't ask, you never know i 'spose..

Cheers

I have an out of date Coopers Stout Can. I think it is 1 - 2 years OOD.

What can I do with it?

I am basically a Can / Brew Enhancer / Hop Tea Bag / Can Yeast brewer. I dont boil anything!

Thoughts?

I have an out of date Coopers Stout Can. I think it is 1 - 2 years OOD.

What can I do with it?

I am basically a Can / Brew Enhancer / Hop Tea Bag / Can Yeast brewer. I dont boil anything!

Thoughts?
If you dont' boil or add extras or even want to give it a go I can only think that all you can do with your can is to do what you normally do with your cans and plonk them in the fermenter, add brew enhancer, top it up with water and pitch the 99% dead kit yeast. Then throw a hop tea bag in their a few days later and hope for the best!

You probably have a better chance of getting away with an out of date dark can than a lager or ale i reckon. Give it a go, its obvious people have has some success with out of dates. Also dont use the kit yeast, i would go US-05/Nottingham.

My 7 year out of dater toucan was made with Nottingham, and that fermented adequately dry without any enhancers.

To get that bitterness (aka balance the sweetness), you really need to do a boil, even if it's for half an hour.

Goomba

CAN lager goop be used to cook with maybe bread ,cake or in a marinate

Back