Diacetyl and DMS from short boils?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy Brew

Reaction score
Im in the middle of making a Gose which has been souring away in the kettle for the last 2 days.
It had a 15 minute boil prior to the kettle sour.

My plan was to give it only another 20 minute boil to kill off the lacto, introduce hops, salt and other assorted goodies before chilling and fermenting as usual with US05.

However I have just had the thought that this beer has approx 45% Pilsner malt in it- a malt that is more prone to DMS and Diacetyl than most.

So my question is, can I get away with the short boil or should I give it a full 60 minutes? Id rather not use long boil and end up with less volume and higher gravity but if there is a reasonable chance that the short boil will result in bigger issues like DMS and diacetyl then Im open to a long boil.

Thoughts please?

Diacetyl isn't really boil time dependant, mostly a side issue from yeast, as well as bacteria, but mostly yeast under stress.

I have only used Dingeman's pilsner malt once, and got a bit of DMS after an hour's boil, should have given it an hour and a half. Czech pilseners get a two hour boil. So depending on the brand of pilsner you used then it could be a problem.
Never had any problem with Wey Bavarian malts, they are better modified nowadays.

As MHB says, Diacetyl is a yeast derived problem if there's too much remaining in a brew. I don't mind a bit in certain UK styles.

Sorry, got interrupted while writing my last post.
Was going to go on and say most of what Bribie said.
Bear in mind that 60 minutes is a short boil and depends on modern well modified low SMM malts to make it long enough to convert SMM to DMS and eject it. The conversion is time dependant rather than on boil vigor and you never get rid of all of either, just reduce it to below the taste/flavour threshold.
Do a full boil, my default boil is still 90 minutes for most styles, I think it gives a cleaner flavoured beer that is more stable.
Mark

Thanks gents. I guess my line of tginkinh was diacetyl can be accentuated with DMS?? None the less I will boil for 45min extra to be sure. Malt is Gladfuelds which is well modified afaik.

Volume and SG should not be an issue, just add water as you go.

I ended up doing a 60 minute boil.
Interestingly, anecdotal evidence from a number of reliable sources made specific mention that DMS does not become an issue in short or no boil sour beers with a high ratio of Pils malt.
Possibly due to the effect the low pH has on the precursors??

Latest posts

Back