Diabetes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tex083 said:
Well at 70 I reckon you just enjoy your homebrew, there is medication for reducing blood sugar.
I'm a Paramedic and a nurse so I see a lot of pt's try to change and go through a shit time. If it was me I would just enjoy life, beer and try to introduce some exercise into your daily routine.
Have a crack at the low alcohol beers and if there good go for it but don't get too stuck on it. Beer is near 100 on the glycemic index!!!!
Actually beer contains too few carbohydrates to be tested on the GI scale. http://www.beerandcarbs.com/info.htm#error2

Tex083 said:
Well at 70 I reckon you just enjoy your homebrew, there is medication for reducing blood sugar.
I'm a Paramedic and a nurse so I see a lot of pt's try to change and go through a shit time. If it was me I would just enjoy life, beer and try to introduce some exercise into your daily routine.
Have a crack at the low alcohol beers and if there good go for it but don't get too stuck on it. Beer is near 100 on the glycemic index!!!!
Now here's a guy that I want as my Doc! ... Thanks mate yeah I do need more exersise and that is on the agenda. Thanx mate

cheers
Al

Hi Al,

First check out this resource: https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/en/NDSS-Content/Diabetes-Information-Sheets/Alcohol-and-Diabetes/ Diabetes Australia have some good resources available and another Diabetic friendly forum is one called realitycheck.com.au

Then have a chat with your Doc depending on your test results, and you'll be armed with some knowledge and what he suggests might sink in without the whole "information overload" situation. Hopefully he's blunt and just doesn't tell you things you want to hear. Yes they all want us to live to 110, and I do too.

I've had type1 for over 16 years. It's a rollercoaster that can be managed, but you need to be careful.

Cheers,

Brad

I got diagnosed with type 1 last week. Apparently an auto-immune complication from Pneumonia I had a couple of months ago. I haven't had more than 2 standard drinks a day since being diagnosed.

Been thinking of giving up brewing this last week, but I think I'll stick with it. Just might rethink those plans for a 5 tap kegerator :)

sorry to hear of your misfortune Pat, but believe me it's not the end of the world as far as a beer goes, with a bit of manipulation, and careful management of your diet, a beer can still be enjoyed (although in lesser volumes)

I was supplied a mid strength recipe by NickJD (before he was sadly and unceremoniously given the ass by the wise gurus ) and I found it to be a good beer even for a mid-strength.

I don't know your circumstances whether your overweight or not ( I was way overweight) or your health particulars, but I finished up joining a gym and with that and cutting out on " Wendys" hot dogs and thick shakes whenever I was near a shopping centre, and Maccas with a thickshake on the way home from the pub, I lost 18kgs and I'm feeling a lot better for it.

I wish you well for the future mate, try that recipe of nicks ( #2 in this topic) its not to bad at all.
Cheers
Al

Edit = rewording a sentence

pat_00 said:
I got diagnosed with type 1 last week. Apparently an auto-immune complication from Pneumonia I had a couple of months ago.
hellbent said:
I don't know your circumstances whether your overweight or not ( I was way overweight) or your health particulars, but I finished up joining a gym and with that and cutting out on " Wendys" hot dogs and thick shakes whenever I was near a shopping centre, and Maccas with a thickshake on the way home from the pub, I lost 18kgs and I'm feeling a lot better for it.
For those who are interested, a basic endocrinology run down of the different types of diabetes.

Type I diabetes is an autoimmune condition where the body's immune system attacks the cells in the pancreas that produce insulin. Insulin is basically the key that unlocks the door allowing sugar (glucose) into cells so they can function. It can occur sporadically or can be precipitated by a viral or bacterial illness. It can't be reversed and must be managed with insulin. There is a large genetic component to type I, although it still isn't entirely clear. It is irreversible.

Type II diabetes is slightly different. It is basically caused by too many free fatty acids floating around the body, which interrupt the cells in the body's ability to respond to insulin. The pancreas is still able to produce sufficient insulin, it still can bind to cells and fit in the lock, however the pathway that opens the door to let the sugar in is faulty, so the sugar stays in the blood. Some research has suggested there is a minor role for genetics in type 2 (there is in increased prevalence of type 2 in women with poly cystic ovaries for example), however it is generally considered to be a lifestyle disease, and the increasing rates of type 2 pretty much reflect the increasing rates of obesity. In the early stages type 2 is considered to be reversible with changes in diet and very specific exercise, however most people are diagnosed too late for this to be 100% effective, so are prescribed drugs which increase the body's sensitivity to insulin.

There is another diabetes called diabetes insipidus, but that doesn't have anything to do with sugar and is rare as rocking horse s%#t.

JD

Well I can say a beer gut is handy when you need somewhere to inject insulin :) I am joining a gym though with view to lose about 8kg or so.

Apart from beer, my diet is really good. Which mostly comes from the fact my partner is a vego 2nd gen hippy.

High Intensity Interval Training/Exercise (HIIT/HIIE) is a great, time effective way to loose weight, especially fat, and has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity (important in type 2 diabetes). Look up 'life sprints', but see a doctor first to make sure you are up to it. Basically it involves cycling (or somethings similar) at 80% intensity for 8 seconds followed by 12 seconds recovery at 50% intensity, for about 20 minutes, 3 times per week. More effective than jogging 60 minutes every day for weight loss. I have been doing it and have lost 5kg.

Black n Tan said:
High Intensity Interval Training/Exercise (HIIT/HIIE) is a great, time effective way to loose weight, especially fat, and has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity
Right you are B & T.

High intensity training, interval training, cross fit etc all basically drain your muscles of stored sugar which means they are need to take up more from the blood to keep contracting. The muscles don't have time to wait for insulin to arrive so there are a few other mechanisms which they use to bring in sugar independent of insulin. The reason it is good for diabetes is it pulls the sugar out of the blood, and stops the pancreas from working so hard. The insulin resistance is helped by the loss of weight as those pesky and toxic free fatty acids get burned up and aren't able to short circuit those important biochemical pathways.

JD

Latest posts

Back