Dead Liquid Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often have you purchased liquid yeast which just never fermented. i.e dead

• Only once

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A couple of times

• 1 in 10

• More than 1 in 10

• With Wyeast

• With White Labs

• Total voters
Strange that a new pack took so long though. In my experience (admittedly not huge - maybe 20 wyeast packs give or take) packs less than 6 months old that have been stored cold haved tended to swell noticeably within 3 hrs, and look like theyre going to burst after 12hrs. Up to a year old and you want to wait a couple days. Over a year and its more like a week.

I've had one or two fail, but i think it was more a case of me panicking, and not being patient. I always make a starter now for liquid, unless it's very fresh slurry, and for dry i rehydrate, no worries with either dry or liquid since starting that.

What I have found, however, is that if you reculture a sample of these yeasts from a yeast cake and pitch a really good whack of live cells they take off like buggery. Currently I have a stout on Ringwood that I pitched yesterday morning and now it's coated the lid of the fermenter on the inside and just oozing up into the airlock and it's only at 18 degrees. :beerbang:

Just like in the brewery, where good white yeast is collected from mid layer and reused, in some cases acid washed to get rid of weak cells and bacteria, those yeast cells are in prime condition and ready to feed and reproduce again.

On the other hand I have gained the impression that liquid yeasts are just live yeasts in suspended animation like space travellers arriving at Alpha Centauri and need a bit of nutrient and coffee and a massage to wake them up so they can do their job.

I like Bribie's anology. Imagine if humans where cryochambered and sent off on a trip taking light years to some far off planet which could support human life. Then upon thawing and were expected to have a feed and do some breeding, now I know some would be pretty keen on the breeding bit, but some are just not morning people :lol: Don't think the whole reproduction thing would be as efficient as for say the second generation of these space travellers now would it.

Screwy

AND +1 FOR NEVER - even packs with well over 12 months of space travel

I took some of the krausen and some of the slurry. Both were placed in sanitised coopers bottles with boiled cooled water and refrigerated. One day my fridge was accidentally unplugged and one bottle exploded. Viable yeast, I would say.
I lost a few bottles of various yeasts I was saving for starters this way over christmas...
They were in the keg fridge and we lost power for a day due to a storm.
Glass and yeast through the bottom of the fridge...

Sounds like I was too impatient with it. I haven't done too many liquid yeast before and expected some activity after 48 hrs. Maybe I should have taken a hydrometer sample before adding the dry yeast. I'm definitely doing this recipe again to compare the two.

I followed Wyeast's instructions on the back of the smack pack on How to make a starter.

I'll be sure to start my yeast starter on a thursday for the weekend next time.

Elton like redmond I have waited three days for a Wyeast to start percolating. Most start within 24 hours others take longer. I have never reasoned why just just exercised a little patience.

I thought that the reason dry yeasts take off faster than liquid yeast is because you get a bigger population of cells per gram. Therefore if you pitch a packet of dry yeast as opposed to a packet of liquid yeast you are pitching more cells and it takes them less time to build up a population. Is this correct? Ive never had a liquid yeast fail. But in saying that Ive only used a few of them.

I smacked the pack as directed and sat it aside for the 3 hours but it just never swelled. I went ahead and added it to the starter wort I made up, which was around 4pm Saturday. By 1pm Sunday the yeast starter still wasn't bubbling or showing any signs of activity. I pitched the yeast anyway in desperite hope and by 5pm monday still nothing so I pitched some Safale S-04 to save the Wort as I couldn't get another liquid yeast quickly as all my LHB stores don't stock liquid yeast.

As said, 3 hours is way too impatient........

I leave packs for a few days sometimes.

And even if they dont swell much, you can still make a starter from them.

Backing up what others have said, activity in starters isnt always going to resemble your normal fermentation (ie. mass krausen etc).

Best bet is to monitor the progress of your starter in the same way you monitor your fermentation, with a hydometer or refractometer. Does the SG drop?

Please dont let this put you off Ringwood, its a misunderstood little bloke that makes amazing beers!

longest ive waited it 24hrs for a smackpack. even then it was only slightly inflated. it can take ages esp if the ambient temp is cool. you have the rouse the little from their slumber.

so never had any liquid yeast fail. ive had crappy cascade kit yeast fail. but thats crappy cascade kit yeast, not liquid yeast.

Never had a liquid yeast fail, but then all my starters are made up 5-7 days prior to brew day.

If its ready early it goes in the fridge.

I had an 18 month old WY1007 yeast that took 6 days back when I used to smack them, I dont do that anymore, all my starters are made up from small samples drawn off from the original yeast pack.

If you always make a starter, whatever yeast your using, there are no last minute dramas and if the yeast isn't ready don't brew!

Got to try the Ringwood one day soon!

Cheers,
BB

I smacked a W1010 about 12 months ago.
Is it ready to pitch?
It swelled up in the first 24 hours.

Latest posts

Back