Dark Wheat turned sour advice needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bt1

Reaction score
Hello all,
After some 50+ Kits and partials which I've enjoyed to varying degrees, managed to get a Coopers Int. series Wheat beer plus +Coopers dark malt can brew to taste sour.

I've not come across this before so seeking an understanding of possible causes.

Normal ferment temps, SG, prep as most other brews...nothing odd here. Conditioned in keg for 5 weeks+ warmer ambient room temp is only thing I can think of that was out of the norm.

Wondering if dark malt brew take longer to condition in a keg than other lighter brews perhaps? Or this brew fermented down to real low FG and was "dry" as a result (sry no FG readings taken).
Welcome any thoughts as it's a style I's like to persist with if I can understand this sour taste issue.

cheers
bt

Sour like vinegar?
Sour like sour cream?

Most likely an infection if it's sour and dry. Nothing to do with dark malt. Any unusual looking films growing while it was fermenting?

Taking gravity readings is a good habit.

Thanks bloke,

reckon you nailed it infected - vinegar sour and dry.

Tapped a Dark Ale done the same time yesterday...bloody magnificent ...past my expectations.

cheers
bt

Back