Dark IRA recipe suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ces

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm planning an IRA for my next brew (4th all-grain on the 3V) and would like some suggestions for the development of the recipe.

The inspiration for this brew is the Mt. Goat Rare Breed IRA. I'm not looking for a clone but something along those lines...

Anyway, here's where I'm at:

Pale Ale Malt 74%
Vienna 12%
Wheat Malt 7.5%
Caramunich II 2.55%
Pale Chocolate 2%
Roasted Barley 1.95%

Mash 60 mins @ 66
Mashout 15 mins @ 75 (Single infusion batch sparge)

Hop bill

60 mins
Cascade 30.77%

15 mins
Cascade 5.13%
Ahtanum 8.55%
Galaxy 8.55%
Neslon Sauvin 8.55%
5 mins
Ahtanum 12.82%
Galaxy 12.82%
Neslon Sauvin 12.82%

Dry hopped in secondary with healthy doses of Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin (not sure of exact quantities yet).

Thinking 1056/WLP001 or something clean for the yeast. I'm not a huge fan of some british yeast flavour profiles but I could really use a suggestion here. Don;t know my yeasts very well at all yet.

Also, I'm thinking that I may be overcomplicating it.

Appreciate any suggestions guys.

Sorry...

estimated SRM = 18.3

estimated IBUs = 55.8

Mardoo said:
Didn't realise the black Irish had their own army... :blink:

Carry on.
Title changed from IRA to IPA, which I assume is what the planned brew is.

Could IRA stand for India Red Ale perhaps?
Recipe looks pretty solid but it might me more brown than red. You could use caraaroma in place of caramunich instead.
Yeast wise, my personal fav is us05. Very hard to beat in a big hoppy ipa.

warra48 said:
Title changed from IRA to IPA, which I assume is what the planned brew is.
Considering he has referenced

Mountain Goat Rare Breed IRA
as a beer that inspired the post, I found it reasonably clear that IPA was not intended to be typed.

indica86 said:
Considering he has referenced
Mountain Goat Rare Breed IRA
as a beer that inspired the post, I found it reasonably clear that IPA was not intended to be typed.
Fair enough, it's back to IRA.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the thoughts... Yep, I did mean to type IRA (India Red Ale). In terms of colour, I'd like it to appear somewhere between a brown and a porter, with nice reds coming through when held up to the light.

Trouble is.. I really dont have a great idea how to achieve this. I've done a fair bit of reading/watching but very little doing (only about 15 brews, 4 all-grain).

Not for horses, will swapping out the caramunich for caraaroma lend more 'redness' to the beer?

Is the rest of the malt bill anything close to being right for this type of beer?

Noob- took me a moment to realise what you're on about but when i did... :lol:. Should've thought at that.

Thanks for the help lads.

My present batch of Irish Red Ale is,
42 litres
Pale Ale 8.500 kg
Munich 1 .500
Caraaroma .400
Carared .400
Roast Barley .020

Magnum 25 g @ 60
Amarillo 25 @ 20
Amarillo 25 @ 10

Cube hop Mosaic to one cube,Galaxy to another,
Mash 60,boil 60
Yeast is US-05

The Caraaroma is good for the red colour but earlier batches had too much Caraaroma and Carared (400g each) and came out dark brown,nearly black.

Method is BIAB and NO Chill

Comes out pretty good.
And I Do call it I.R.A.

Thanks wombil. I'll adjust the recipe to include some carared and caraaroma. What's your opinion on the inclusion of pale chocolate? I suspect its not usual for this style but I've included it as one of my favourite specialty malts. If anyone thinks it definitely has no place in there, it wont be a problem to remove it.

cheers guys.

ces.

edit: for clarity

This is an ESB but has great red hues

20140824_150735.jpg

Back again ces,Don't know about the chocolate but it does nothing for me.I like it simple.
Some good recipes here in therecipe section,Better Red Then Dead is one but other good ones.
Hey Bradsbrew,that's what I aim for,haven't got it as good as that but still goes down ok.

After some inspiration from Wombil and others as well as some more reading, I've updated the recipe to the following...

Pale Ale Malt 81%
Wheat Malt 8.5%
Caraaroma 3.27%
Carared 3.27%
Pale Chocolate 2%
Roasted Barley 1.95%

Mash 60 mins @ 66
Mashout 15 mins @ 75 (Single infusion batch sparge)

Hop bill

60 mins
Cascade 30.77%

15 mins
Cascade 5.13%
Ahtanum 8.55%
Galaxy 8.55%
Neslon Sauvin 8.55%
5 mins
Ahtanum 12.82%
Galaxy 12.82%
Neslon Sauvin 12.82%

Dry hopped in secondary with healthy doses of Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin (not sure of exact quantities yet).

California Ale for the yeast.

Decided to leave the pale chocolate in wombil. Drinking a porter with a healthy dose of it in it now and loving what it lends. I'll see if a little will go a long way in this one.

I'm looking too order the ingredients for upcoming brews tonight, so I'd appreciate any last comments/suggestions anyone would like to add.

Cheers guys,

Ces.

Quick bump before I start to order

Not sure why you dropped the vienna and personally I'd swap the cara red for more caraaroma as oddly the latter seems to add more red than the former despite the name. yMMV

Blind Dog said:
Not sure why you dropped the vienna and personally I'd swap the cara red for more caraaroma as oddly the latter seems to add more red than the former despite the name. yMMV
mmm...How many brewers have been caught with the Cara Red gives red beer..... :D

Back