Dark fruit aroma during fermentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
let us know how the end product goes mate. i'll be keen to hear if that smell is noticeable in the taste or not once it's done. i'm guessing probably not though by the sounds of it.

Yeah will do, I'm interested to see if there's anything similar in the final product and I'm leaning towards no but will be interesting, will be taking a gravity reading next week and will give that a taste and post the results. It's the first time using this chamber and I'm curious as to whether maybe it's just a concentrated version of the smell I'm used to smelling coming out the fermenter. Time will tell.

marsala - the mrs cooked with it yesterday and gave me a sniff, it was a familiar smell! popped out to the shed, opened my fridge that has a wheat beer in it - not the lid, just the door to the fridge. this bloody tap is leaking and ive been checking gravity through the tap daily - so there is yeasty beer sitting in the bottom of the fridge. exposed to air (20deg) and in various stages of drying up, with a small but continual new addition of yeasty beer (from the trub) coming out

smells like dark fruit albeit a little pungent

droid said:
marsala - the mrs cooked with it yesterday and gave me a sniff, it was a familiar smell! popped out to the shed, opened my fridge that has a wheat beer in it - not the lid, just the door to the fridge. this bloody tap is leaking and ive been checking gravity through the tap daily - so there is yeasty beer sitting in the bottom of the fridge. exposed to air (20deg) and in various stages of drying up, with a small but continual new addition of yeasty beer (from the trub) coming out

smells like dark fruit albeit a little pungent
Haha interesting. It is quite pungent, tasted any of the beer? Does it come through?

Nizmoose said:
Haha interesting. It is quite pungent, tasted any of the beer? Does it come through?
tasting it after each gravity check, no taste in the beer

Good news! As expected no taste resembling the aroma in the beer, the sample tasted wonderful actually, one of the best yet. Also by now the aroma has all but disappeared. I'm putting it down to a concentration of estery co2 being trapped in the chamber and my regular opening of the CHAMBER and slowing of fermentation has seen it subside.

You beat me to it, it's the fact that your fermenter chamber seals so well that it is a build up of the co2, beer aromas etc when you open the lid. I believe this protects the process excessively well from the air and does give a "better" beer.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back