Dark fruit aroma during fermentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nizmoose

Reaction score
Hey guys just a quick question (and yes I've given it a search and can't seem to find anything relating US-05 and dark fruit aromas), I'm about one and a half weeks into a fermentation that I pithed a little higher than I wanted to (~24C down to 20 within 24hrs) and everytme I open the lid of my fermentation chamber I get this dark fruit / raison aroma coming from the chamber. Thats the best way I can describe the aroma. The fermentation seems healthy and there's plenty of yeast there doing its job. I understand that pitching high is going to give me esters but this is one that smells much different to anything I've smelled before, not unpleaseant just dark and fruity almost brown sugary smelling which I thought was more of a belgian thing as opposed to US05, any ideas?

For reference the ingredients are 2 tins of black rock LME, some crystal and Centennial bittering hops and a tiny bit of cascade at 5 minutes. Cheers in advance

I wouldn't worry yet. How does it taste?

Is it ready to bottle/keg yet? A few more days could make a big difference.

And stop opening the fermenter lid - otherwise you WILL end up with a problem.

what is black rock lme, just unhopped liquid malt extract? how much crystal?

is it a Christmas pudding kind of smell?

how much crystal did you use? what was your batch size? i commonly associate those smells with medium - dark crystal malts. if the crystal malt percentage of your grist was high-ish, then it could be that.

I would just stop opening the fermenter.... Its probably nothing just see how it tastes in a few weeks time there is nothing to stress about

Thanks for the replies guuys and sorry for not beiing specific, the Black Rock LME is Light and Ultra light unhopped LME. The amount of crystal was 50g in 23L haha so not much at all and I'm not opening the fermenter I'm opening the fermentation chamber to change ice bottles over :)

What kind of beer? An old ale or a belgian quad brewer would die for such flavours.
Could be oxidation of malt. Some of the resulting flavours are often described as christmas pudding, mixed peel, raisins, etc. Usually dark malts plus very extended ageing though.

Hmm well I wish I could say it was a Belgian and that I'm a good brewer but unfortunately it's supposed to be a blonde ale haha, the extract is heaps fresh (expiry date is 2016) and the crystal was in good nick. I should mention I haven't tasted the actual beer yet because it's only just over a week in and I don't want to mess with the thing. The chamber is simply a big plastic bin so when I pull the lid off to change bottles that's when I get the smell. Like I said before the fermentation through the fermenter lid looks completely normal and I'm not necessarily worried about the beer but would love to know the cause of this strange aroma!

the only thing I can find is a reference to sherry-like flavour, I put the whole thing up for anyone who likes a read:

Source – winning home brew.com
Sometimes brewers' yeast loses its ability to utilize oxygen and are called respiratory mutants, or petite mutants (because the yeast colonies are very small when cultured in the laboratory). Petite mutant yeast cells produce the compound but are unable to metabolize it in the later phases of fermentation, thus leaving it in your beer. Temperature shock of greater than 10°F will cause formation of these petite mutants in your fermenting beer. The remedy is to allow the yeast to acclimate to the same temperature as the wort before pitching. You can use thermometers to measure the temperatures, but this is another source of possible contamination.

Source – john palmers how to brew
The yeast is the most significant factor in determining the quality of a fermentation. Oxygen can be the most significant factor in determining the quality of the yeast. Oxygen is both your friend and your enemy. It is important to understand when which is which.
You should not aerate when the wort is hot, or even warm. Aeration of hot wort will cause the oxygen to chemically bind to various wort compounds. Over time, these compounds will break down, freeing atomic oxygen back into the beer where it can oxidize the alcohols and hop compounds producing off-flavors and aromas like wet cardboard or sherry-like flavors. The generally accepted temperature cutoff for preventing hot wort oxidation is 80°F.
Oxidation of your wort can happen in several ways. The first is by splashing or aerating the wort while it is hot. Other beginning-brewing books advocate pouring the hot wort after the boil into cold water in the fermenter to cool it and add oxygen for the yeast. Unfortunately the wort may still be hot enough to oxidize when it picks up oxygen from the splashing. Pouring it down the side of the bucket to minimize splashing doesn't really help either since this increases the surface area of the wort exposed to the air. Thus it is important to cool the wort rapidly to below 80°F to prevent oxidation, and then aerate it to provide the dissolved oxygen that the yeast need. Cooling rapidly between 90 and 140°F is important because this temperature region is ideal for bacterial growth to establish itself in the wort.
In addition, if oxygen is introduced after primary fermentation has started, it may cause the yeast to produce more of the early fermentation byproducts, like diacetyl. However, some strains of yeast respond very well to "open" fermentations (where the fermenter is open to the air) without producing off-flavors. But even for those yeast strains, aeration or even exposure to oxygen after fermentation is complete can lead to staling of the beer. During racking to a secondary fermenter or to the bottling bucket, it is very important to prevent gurgling or splashing. Keep the siphon flowing smoothly by placing the outlet of the siphon hose below the surface of the rising beer. Decrease the difference in height between the two containers when you begin. This will slow the siphon rate at first and prevent turbulence and aeration until the outlet is beneath the surface.
To summarize, you want to pitch a sufficient amount of healthy yeast, preferably grown in a starter that matches your intended fermentation conditions. You want to cool the wort to fermentation temperature and then aerate the wort to provide the oxygen that the yeast need to grow and reproduce. Then you want to protect the beer from oxygen once the fermentation is complete to prevent oxidation and staling.

If this is the aroma I think it is, I've had it in a couple of my beers. It's also in Blackheart Brewery's Christmas Ale, which I didn't like very much. It's not terrible, I can see how you might cultivate it, use it for the powers of good as it were.

um..opening fermenter to change ice bottles over?? You mean you chuck frozen bottles of ice directly into your fermenting wort?

fraser_john said:
um..opening fermenter to change ice bottles over?? You mean you chuck frozen bottles of ice directly into your fermenting wort?
For the last time, fermentation chamber, chamber, the chamber containing the fermenter, not the fermenter, the chamber.

droid said:
the only thing I can find is a reference to sherry-like flavour, I put the whole thing up for anyone who likes a read:

Source – winning home brew.com
Sometimes brewers' yeast loses its ability to utilize oxygen and are called respiratory mutants, or petite mutants (because the yeast colonies are very small when cultured in the laboratory). Petite mutant yeast cells produce the compound but are unable to metabolize it in the later phases of fermentation, thus leaving it in your beer. Temperature shock of greater than 10°F will cause formation of these petite mutants in your fermenting beer. The remedy is to allow the yeast to acclimate to the same temperature as the wort before pitching. You can use thermometers to measure the temperatures, but this is another source of possible contamination.

Source – john palmers how to brew
The yeast is the most significant factor in determining the quality of a fermentation. Oxygen can be the most significant factor in determining the quality of the yeast. Oxygen is both your friend and your enemy. It is important to understand when which is which.
You should not aerate when the wort is hot, or even warm. Aeration of hot wort will cause the oxygen to chemically bind to various wort compounds. Over time, these compounds will break down, freeing atomic oxygen back into the beer where it can oxidize the alcohols and hop compounds producing off-flavors and aromas like wet cardboard or sherry-like flavors. The generally accepted temperature cutoff for preventing hot wort oxidation is 80°F.
Oxidation of your wort can happen in several ways. The first is by splashing or aerating the wort while it is hot. Other beginning-brewing books advocate pouring the hot wort after the boil into cold water in the fermenter to cool it and add oxygen for the yeast. Unfortunately the wort may still be hot enough to oxidize when it picks up oxygen from the splashing. Pouring it down the side of the bucket to minimize splashing doesn't really help either since this increases the surface area of the wort exposed to the air. Thus it is important to cool the wort rapidly to below 80°F to prevent oxidation, and then aerate it to provide the dissolved oxygen that the yeast need. Cooling rapidly between 90 and 140°F is important because this temperature region is ideal for bacterial growth to establish itself in the wort.
In addition, if oxygen is introduced after primary fermentation has started, it may cause the yeast to produce more of the early fermentation byproducts, like diacetyl. However, some strains of yeast respond very well to "open" fermentations (where the fermenter is open to the air) without producing off-flavors. But even for those yeast strains, aeration or even exposure to oxygen after fermentation is complete can lead to staling of the beer. During racking to a secondary fermenter or to the bottling bucket, it is very important to prevent gurgling or splashing. Keep the siphon flowing smoothly by placing the outlet of the siphon hose below the surface of the rising beer. Decrease the difference in height between the two containers when you begin. This will slow the siphon rate at first and prevent turbulence and aeration until the outlet is beneath the surface.
To summarize, you want to pitch a sufficient amount of healthy yeast, preferably grown in a starter that matches your intended fermentation conditions. You want to cool the wort to fermentation temperature and then aerate the wort to provide the oxygen that the yeast need to grow and reproduce. Then you want to protect the beer from oxygen once the fermentation is complete to prevent oxidation and staling.
Cheers for the reply but I'm not sure if I'd call it sherry, I'm new to brewing though so I could be wrong, thing is I haven't mishandled the beer in anyway and fermentation seems normal. Was hoping the aroma was something someone had come across, might have to wait a week or so take a sample and will have a taste

must have smelled that smell here too but yeah, weird innit?

that was funny as hell btw

droid said:
must have smelled that smell here too but yeah, weird innit?

that was funny as hell btw
Haha there's only so many times you can tell people you're not opening the fermenter before you're done lol

Nizmoose said:
Haha there's only so many times you can tell people you're not opening the fermenter before you're done lol
whoa... wait... you're opening the fermenter?

couldn't resist haha

Latest posts

Back