Dark Beers And Adverese Effects

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would there be a greater level of carcinogens in dark grain ? That could be the culprit.

Personally I experience a lot of reflux from a variety of foods/beverages but I have never noticed anything bad from darker beers. My list of hangover brews (severe headaches) includes Stella, Champagne and Cider and I suspect this has to do with the yeasts used in these more than anything else. I'm also steering clear of Little Creatures, Fat Yak and similar bright ales again because I think the yeasts used create a combination of alcohol and other bi-products that don't like me.

Something I remember reading/seeing/being told regarding the effects of alcohol is that the amount of sugar has a bearing on the effects. Specifically, things like Rum and bourbon that are higher in sugar tend to make people more violent than other distilled drinks like vodka for example. I can't cite any references but again personal experience seems to back up this hypothesis.

1 per paragraph = my 2 :)

I joked once on another forum that...

"I woke up with a bad hangover this morning after about 12 bottles of HB. Would the problem be with my mash temp" ?

This was in my first few AG brews and I was mashing at about 63 - 64c. It turns out that the beer might have been a bit more forgiving if I had mashed at a higher temp, it would have had less fermentables and not been as dry.

But obviously having 12 bottles was a hangover setup regardless what I was drinking...

just my 2c :)

Cheers,
Superoo

Back