Dank or Resin flavours

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWDWD

Reaction score
Trying to work out how to get those resinous/dank flavours. I know high alpha acid hops like Columbus, Chinook and Simcoe are a good bet, but when do you add the hops to get that dank flavour - early in the boil, late in the boil, dry hopping or all of the above?

WWDWD said:
Trying to work out how to get those resinous/dank flavours. I know high alpha acid hops like Columbus, Chinook and Simcoe are a good bet, but when do you add the hops to get that dank flavour - early in the boil, late in the boil, dry hopping or all of the above?
Hi WWDWD, I've been following your hop hog thread and it would appear we share similar tastes. I am currently pursuing the Resinous flavour and aroma.

From what I've read it comes late in the boil. As I type I have a lovely resinous aroma coming out of the airlock and am hopeful that this will also be evident in the flavour. Here's what's brewing - (copied from the Hop Hog Clone thread).

3kg Coopers Light Malt Liquid
400g Dextrose
200g wheat grains steeped for 30 mins
5g Galaxy @ 60 m
10g Chinook @ 30 m
10g Columbus @ 20 m
5g Columbus @ 15 m
25g Simcoe @ 10 m
5g Columbus @ 5 m

The dankest of dank hop I've used has been Apollo. From 20 minutes to 0. At 17%AA it packs a bitter punch too.

Columbus to a maybe slightly lesser extent too.

For my opinion, that big resinous (wonderful) tongue coating is from the combination additions, 10 down to whirlpool and a big dry hop..

I'm finding I can get that in the cube as well hence my thoughts tend to lean toward the late additions

Chinook

Resin from Chinook which I find to be an excellent balancing hop for 'fruit'. Good early bitterer and a touch late for a balanced IPA.

CTZ for dank and Apollo really is dank and almost hash-like. I like what it brings at early bittering addition time.

Sub 10 minute additions and a big dry hop is what will get you those really dank, resinous flavours. If you are no chilling, I find a separate mini boil is a must to really get those flavours/aromas.

I drank a Sierra Nevada Torpedo last night and it tasted like hash oil. That was dank.

lukiferj said:
Never heard that about apollo. Will investigate this further. Cheers for the headsup LRG.

No worries. Bear in mind that's my personal experience.

If you read online, they mostly are non-descript or give a vague "citrus-like" or "orange peel" aroma. I found them more like CTZ, where the citrus is negligible and dank is the dominant aroma. I love them as a bittering addition, because of their balance they give to my beers, especially when I don't have any Chinook.

It never used to be on my radar, but since using it, it's one of those hops I probably need in the freezer in future. So long as I have one of (Citra/Nelson Sauvin/Galaxy/Cascade/Centennial) and one of (CTZ/Chinook/Apollo), I'll be able to knock out a decent A(I)PA.

Doesn't look as though any of the aussie retailers have Apollo at the mo :( CTZ it is!

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
No worries. Bear in mind that's my personal experience.

If you read online, they mostly are non-descript or give a vague "citrus-like" or "orange peel" aroma. I found them more like CTZ, where the citrus is negligible and dank is the dominant aroma. I love them as a bittering addition, because of their balance they give to my beers, especially when I don't have any Chinook.

It never used to be on my radar, but since using it, it's one of those hops I probably need in the freezer in future. So long as I have one of (Citra/Nelson Sauvin/Galaxy/Cascade/Centennial) and one of (CTZ/Chinook/Apollo), I'll be able to knock out a decent A(I)PA.
Cheers. Yeah the vague descriptions are why I haven't bothered to try it before.

I do Pot Kettle Black clone that has NS late & dry hop. I first time I brewed it, I was tempting feeding the lawn with it. The combo of dark malts with NS was that dank/wrong in the FV, I thought it was an infection. Turned out delishous!

indica86 said:
I drank a Sierra Nevada Torpedo last night and it tasted like hash oil. That was dank.
The Torpedo is another of my favourites, but they put it in such little bottles.

Apollo , substitute for Zeus, and Zeus substitute is Columbus. ( http://byo.com/resources/hops )

I drink dank.

Latest posts

Back