Dangerous "Kegland" sticker on Co2 bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn’t say anything about whether it was filled or not, just talked about the faulty valve. They did talk about what happens when you think the cylinder is empty and it isn’t! Quite rightly in their position if it happened more than once I would not fill it!
Yes apparently Coffs Home Brew moved, a mate of mine told me and he has tried to call them several times no answer.
I guess if I want the damn thing filled again & don’t want to annoy the brilliant folks at Toormina I can get it filled at Port MAC as I do go down there occasionally.
Geoff at Coffs Home Brew is a really nice bloke, I used to work with him
Unfortunately he never really wanted to do anything other than kits & spirits and really didn't want to store hops and yeast in a fridge when I was visiting his shop

I'd guess I know who wouldn't fill it, won't name names.
Did Coffs Home Brew in town close?
They're about the only other place in Coffs other than the fire extinguisher mobs that filled CO2 bottles
Country Brewer - Toormina fills gas bottles

What does that mean?
Yes I know that one (as they were the guys who picked up the faulty valve) now all those that were involved have spoken to each other, so all is good. big thing is locally (Coffs Harbour area) the gas bottle drama is soughted!
I do want to say thank you to Kee for promising to replace the valve and sought out future filling, Matt (Country Brewer) for showing me the defect in the first place, but for also being supportive and soughting out mine and others future gas needs.
I was actually starting to loose faith in the whole home brew supply system, but people like Matt have restored my faith!
And also thanks to Dave from Ikegger, the new Professional regulator turned up just in time for me to enjoy one of my all grain 150 lashes clones!
After all the drama the bloody bottle leaked due to one of my faulty connections

Matt is a very good bloke, very knowledgeable and always goes the extra mile to help out his customers
I always make sure to pop in and say hi whenever we're back in Coffs

was in the Maitland country brewer today for the first time in a while, and they still have sizeable bold signs indicating 'No Kegland'.. no fills etc

considering they had 6kg Keg King CO2 bottles there for over $200 (i think.. thats some outdated pricing) when the market for keg-king/keg-land bottles is down in the $90 range now means its probably not the place for co2 :/

was in the Maitland country brewer
They're grubs. I asked for an explanation why they wouldn't fill KL bottles and all the guy would say was "it's complicated" over and over again and I was SOOL.

Country Brewers across Brisbane won't fill Kegland bottles either. I don't have one but they mentioned it when I asked about fills.

On a more positive note, they will swap and go any other 2.6kg bottle, as long as it is within date, I got what looks like a brand new MKOL bottle for ~$25 for the old Brewcraft bottle I took in. Much better policy than the business they replaced.

They're grubs. I asked for an explanation why they wouldn't fill KL bottles and all the guy would say was "it's complicated" over and over again and I was SOOL.

I started going to Frank in Mayfield West after buying a Keg Land cylinder when someone put his details up in another post. He charges $30 for a 6kg cylinder and will fill it in about 5 minutes while you wait.

upload_2019-5-3_20-30-4.png

It's not cause country brewer are keg king distributors and they've got some sort of exclusive supply contract is it?

was in the Maitland country brewer today for the first time in a while, and they still have sizeable bold signs indicating 'No Kegland'.. no fills etc

considering they had 6kg Keg King CO2 bottles there for over $200 (i think.. thats some outdated pricing) when the market for keg-king/keg-land bottles is down in the $90 range now means its probably not the place for co2 :/
mate seriously? You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. There's serious doubts over the quality of the Kegland bottles. $90 for a cylinder that is supposed to hold 850+ PSI, you're taking your life into your own hands if you buy a cylinder made of cheese.

I guess it comes down to whether you are willing to trust the product. Why are they so much cheaper than some of the alternatives? You have to ask yourself that question. Just because something looks the same, doesn't mean it is the same. Aldi pride themselves on spewing out cheap products that mimic real quality but last less than 5 minutes. In this case, you are risking your life by buying something made in china for a fraction of the cost with dubious certifications. Give me a Catalina cylinder any day, they can cope with 3000PSI way more than enough for any CO2 fill. More expensive yes but way less risky.

I'm guessing that Kegland is mostly online purchase? If so, and you are too cheap to support your local brew shop, feel free to buy your refill online as well.

Most people purchase stuff online these days for convenience, get up with the times!
Some of these local homebrew shops you speak of resell kl or kk products...yes even the faulty Chinese made stuff for 5x the price.

The major reason people don’t like filling the KL cylinders are faulty BPV’s. Now I have been told it’s not a problem unique to KL. Apparently all the cheap Chinese cylinders from both major wholesalers have the problem. Basically the hold far too much CO2 back, which results in an apparently empty cylinder have too much gas left. Or they leak all the gas out or they jam! But the KL cylinders seem to have a higher fail rate - in my case two out of two!
If you choose not to run with it in, no dramas except that the cylinder will slowly rust on the inside! Like others have said a potential bomb! Now I don’t plan for my cylinder to last 10 years or in fact 5 and I have learnt my lesson - cheap Chinese stuff is just that! Cheap Chinese crap!
As for businesses not dealing with KL or in fact KK - that’s their choice! Afterall if a supplier deliberately sets out to destroy a competitor by ridiculous pricing and considers the LHBS as collateral damage, why should those shops support the supplier?

Aldi pride themselves on spewing out cheap products that mimic real quality but last less than 5 minutes.

The only Aldi stuff that I have that doesn't last longer than 5 minutes is the food....as I eat it. Everything else is still working 5-10 years later? Also my $10 kmart kettle which is used several times a day has lasted 10+ years and so on and so forth. Guess it depends on how you look after things.

mate seriously? You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. There's serious doubts over the quality of the Kegland bottles. $90 for a cylinder that is supposed to hold 850+ PSI, you're taking your life into your own hands if you buy a cylinder made of cheese.

I guess it comes down to whether you are willing to trust the product. Why are they so much cheaper than some of the alternatives? You have to ask yourself that question. Just because something looks the same, doesn't mean it is the same. Aldi pride themselves on spewing out cheap products that mimic real quality but last less than 5 minutes. In this case, you are risking your life by buying something made in china for a fraction of the cost with dubious certifications. Give me a Catalina cylinder any day, they can cope with 3000PSI way more than enough for any CO2 fill. More expensive yes but way less risky.

I'm guessing that Kegland is mostly online purchase? If so, and you are too cheap to support your local brew shop, feel free to buy your refill online as well.

if these things are so evil why haven't people complained to ACCC.....or is it just a bunch LHBS stores don't want to be helpful
Have you ever seen one shoot across the room or heard it? I have heard it, the point is these little things have to be removed to fill and until you start undoing them there is zero indication of a problem! The cylinders are certified by Workcover Victoria which just proves certification by the regulator is bs! BPV’s are only required for steel cylinders, so the more expensive aluminium ones are fine. Is it a campaign by the LHBS’s, I don’t know and I do know some who fill them despite the safety issue. Point is it shouldn’t happen and any business has the right to refuse to provide a service due to safety concerns - its covered under WHS.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back