Damn Persistent Bubbling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luanero

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,

I did a brew last weekend, a larger (with SAF 23) and 7-days on the thing is still bubbling. I have the primary fermenter in a fridge set at 12 deg C. It's also emitting somewhat of a malty smell (via the air lock) that might just be sickly sweet, but it's not exactly putrid.

Taking a look inside (something I've never felt compelled to do before) reveals this...

IMG_2295.JPG

With every other beer I've brewed the bubbling virtually ceased within a week, so, am I dealing with an infection?

Lagers or Largers generally take longer to ferment out due to the colder temps. 2 -3 weeks

Everything looks normal to me in that photo, put your lid back on and dont worry about it.

Hi fellow brewers,

I did a brew last weekend, a larger (with SAF 23) and 7-days on the thing is still bubbling. I have the primary fermenter in a fridge set at 12 deg C. It's also emitting somewhat of a malty smell (via the air lock) that might just be sickly sweet, but it's not exactly putrid.

Taking a look inside (something I've never felt compelled to do before) reveals this...

View attachment 46348

With every other beer I've brewed the bubbling virtually ceased within a week, so, am I dealing with an infection?
Judging on the pic alone it all looks perfectly normal. How as the SG been travelling?

Matt

Only thing wrong with the pic is the lack of glad wrap!

Maybe you should taste the foamy stuff on top to see what it tastes like :ph34r: .

It'll probably still be bubbling for another week or longer as others have said.

It's why i don't do "genuine" lagers anymore. Takes too long for my stock levels to recover from. Nowadays i do a very good "fake" lager using US05 (american ale yeast). This does ferment out in around 5-7 days and because it's a very neutral yeast flavourwise, is very good at getting lager recipes without the time required that you need for a genuine lager yeast.

Certainly no infection based on that photo.

The smell maybe a sulphury (egg smell) perhaps??? If it is, it's also very normal when using lager yeasts. I have not used that yeast before. If i'm doing a genuine lager, i tend to use W34/70 or S189. 34/70 is very big on sulphur production though, although it is excellent at leaving the beer very clear.

Stop worrying mate, all is well.

I'm also another fan of using gladwrap instead of the lid. Look into this (pardon the pun) if you like. Very easy and convenient and awesome to look through at the changes in your fermentation.

Back