D.i.y. Toasting Malt Experiment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good warren, be good if you could agitiate te grain whilst it was roasting to get an even roast.

Fourstar that's the beauty of these devices. The lid has a handle that cuts the power when you lift it. Quick stir, lid back on for very little temp loss. From what I can gather I'd be better served stirring more often on the higher temps though. You get the odd kernel popping and some uneven roasting.

I might try and produce some crystal malt in it up the track. I think you can set it quite low. To make crystal I'd need to stew the grain at 70 degrees. Might stick my oven therm in next time and see what happens.

Not doing this to save any money it's just quite interesting to observe and I guess you learn something along the way. :icon_cheers:

Warren -

:icon_offtopic:

Gday Greg,
Welcome to the forum mate. I am wondering if you are the first malting barley grower to grace the threads of AHB? Either way Im sure you are in for a right brain-picking! :D And I may as well start...

Any chance you would start a new thread telling us about the grains you grow, and maybe show us some pics of the grain to whet our beery appetites?
I presume you grow for breweries, but are you brewing yourself? And what grains do you grow?

Ok, thats enough questions for now :)

Cheers,
Jake
Hi Jake.
Sorry for late reply but dont get on this site unless I am having brewing difficulties. I grow a variety of barley called gairdner which will pass for malting grade all things being equal. I stick to growing grains that make good sheep tucker lupins and barley and a hat full of wheat. Barley usually gets sold straight into the system which is ABB or the Australian barley board who buy it wharehouse it and distribute it to their malting arm Joe white (if its malting grade). As for starting a thread my computer skills equall my brewing skills I am sure i could work it out but wouldnt have to many photos to show. My barley went feed 1 because protien was too high this year so have managed to sell 50 odd ton direct to a dairy

Latest posts

Back