Cutting Down A 19 Litre Post Mix Keg For Party Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have a couple of 0.6mm filler rods left, just ordered in 5kg of 0.9mm I don’t find much difference between the 2 and the 0.9 are lots cheaper.
I tried using unrolled 0.6 SS MIG wire, it's not the same at all.

My pins are 1.6mm sharpened and polished to a very fine point with pure Argon (I put 2 flow controls on my reg 1 for purging and the other for the hand piece) and very low amps like 10A.
My welder has high frequency start, but I think if I was buying another TIG I would go for a pulse welder (I watched a guy run a weld down a Coke can with one of them) that would be the best option for welding kegs.

If you want a few of 0.9mm fillers give me a call.

MHB
Hi Mark
Thanks for that info, I had read on another forum about using 316 mig wire for filler but would gladly pay some $ for some 0.9mm as 5kg of 0.9 would take you a long time to go through, I'm currently playing with 1.6mm as that is what I can buy by the stick over in Perth. I am also using 1.6 tungstens but on the bicycle frame building site I also frequent, a lot of the tig guys there use 3/32 for bike tubes which are normally about 0.8-1.1mm wall thickness.

I have one of the chinese jobbies (thanks Recharge) it's DC only but with HF and pulse so will give 10A and some pulse a try and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip on two flow controls.

Muga's project was my other idea.

Been wondering about this too.
A quick question, does the backing-gas have to be the same as the wand gas or will any noble gas do?

Been wondering about this too.
A quick question, does the backing-gas have to be the same as the wand gas or will any noble gas do?
With S/S Argon is the only way to go as far as purge gas goes AFAIK, what were you thinking about?

Cheers.
I have read(Here Chap4, Pg37) that the shield gas is critical because it affects the arc start/shape/penetration etc
So.. figured with lack of arc, any noble would do as a backing gas to reduce Oxygen and Carbon(CO2) exposure to the hot backside?
I have access to an industrial TIG, but dunno if it has a purge capability, there's a MIG nearby and thought maybe I could use some of the MIGshield as a backing gas?

I've only done a little TIG, but there's plenty of scrap for me to scratch up on.

Edit: Actually, there's a Plasma cutter too, but I think that's using compressed air?

Plus if welding up without an experienced tradesperson undertaking it, there would be sanitising and sterilising concerns if any bug got into a little 'gap' of sorts.

With S/S Argon is the only way to go as far as purge gas goes AFAIK, what were you thinking about?
I can't speak from personal experience but my next door neighbour makes stainless brine systems and tanks for wineries and uses nitrogen for backing gas and argon for shielding.

I just use Argon

Rich

Ah, now Nitrogen makes things much easier for me, thanks!

Back