Cutthroat Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys, tried this O/S in Canada/Alaska a few months back, one of the best beers i drank on the trip and there were lots of different beers drunk.
According to there website these are the ingredients, but not sure how much of each, but just after any thoughts, not on the beer, most probably haven't heard of it, Don't think it's available in Oz. From there website, Tree Brewing Co., Predominant toffee, chewy malt profile is balanced with distinct citrus and earthy hop aromas
28Lts
3.7 kg Breiss Pale Ale malt 72%
0.5 kg Breiss Vienna 10%
0.35 kg Breiss Munich at this stage 10l 7%
0.30 kg Breiss Dark Caramel 120l 6%
0.25 Kg Melanoiden (should be Honey Malt) 5%
10g Chinook @ 40min 11 IBU Should be Perle, but i have Chinook
14g Cascade @ 20min 5 IBU
14g Centennial @ 15min 6.6 IBU
14g Columbus @ 10min 6.8 IBU
21g Cascade @ 5min 2.0 IBU
US05
OG 1.042 32 IBU 4.8% ABV in the bottle
Thats it, a little low on IBUs but thats just me, any thoughts on % of malts and how do the hop additions look.
Cheers

I really like the look of those hop additions. I reckon it should be a tasty drop.

Might have to borrow a bit of this recipe.

I ski Whistler every Jan and this is my beer of choice, its amazing.

As far as your recipe goes, I would replace the munich with a crystal malt - this will balance out the hops and do more than munich will do in achieving a replica - IMO, What ever that is worth.

Hops look about right for a tester... please report back.

Thanks for posting it, reminded me of the beer and will now be brewing an attempt next weekend!

Cheers!

Cocko said:
I ski Whistler every Jan and this is my beer of choice, its amazing.

As far as your recipe goes, I would replace the munich with a crystal malt - this will balance out the hops and do more than munich will do in achieving a replica - IMO, What ever that is worth.

Hops look about right for a tester... please report back.

Thanks for posting it, reminded me of the beer and will now be brewing an attempt next weekend!

Cheers!
Couldn't remember where i drank it, come to think of it, might have been Whistler, on a Mountaineer tour. Not sure what order the hop additions should be, too long ago to remember now. If a brew site mentions the hops used, would you think they would list them in the order of use. Same for the malt bill.
Cheers

Looks about right to me - worth a try - will still be a tasty beer, regardless.

The columbus late would be my only concern but if anything, go maybe 8-10g on the trial brew to find out.

Otherwise, you know the only way you will find out is to DO IT!

GO!

god speed.

EDIT: malt bill, as prior comment.

Sorry guys should be EKG, instead of the final Cascade addition.
There website has the hops listed Perle, Centennial, Golding, Cascade, Columbus. If thats the order they use, don't know. Will probably adjust the recipe before brewing.
Have an AIPA in the fermenter at the mo, seems like a stronger version of this.

If they're in order on there site, i changed hop additions to this

10g Chinook @ 40min 11 IBU
18g Centennial @ 20min 10.4 IBU
18g Goldings @ 15min 4.3 IBU
18g Cascade @ 10min 4 IBU
10g Columbus @ 5min 2.7 Ibu

Doesn't look to bad

briby said:
If they're in order on there site, i changed hop additions to this
So hops may only appear once in a hop schedule and an advertisement is a contract with the brewer?

Good luck with it.

bum said:
So hops may only appear once in a hop schedule and an advertisement is a contract with the brewer?

Good luck with it.
I was going to reply to this stupid question, but can't be stuffed wasting time, and from a respected forum member, perplexing.

briby said:
I was going to reply to this stupid question, but can't be stuffed wasting time, and from a respected forum member, perplexing.

Not perplexing and hardly respected.

punkin said:
Not perplexing and hardly respected.
Hi,

Does anyone know this bum personally? Is this member really as negative and sad as what he comes across in his posts or is he only trying to wind other members up?

I find it very disappointing to always see the same member posting negative comments, not even an answer to a question.

Bum, take it easy mate. Even if you find a topic or a reply to be "stupid", just ignore it. You will do all of us a favour and yourself by not getting worked up.

Cheers

PS: Briby, sorry for hijacking your topic. Hope that beer turns out ok and keep us posted.

I have seen him post that he won't go to any face to face meetings such as swaps or club meetings as the chances of things getting physical may prove too high.I'd never be able to find the post in a million years, though it wasn't that long ago.

I have met maybe 5 board members.

I like how the longest post you've ever made was a personal attack, vonromanz. Good, good. Let the hate flow through you. Highly amusing.

Latest posts

Back