Curry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A nice alternative for a curry is to get all your heat from large amounts of pepper. Just crush the peppercorns in your mortar and pestle so they are still fairly big.
Spices as you prefer for your curry...

I do this sometimes when I don't have chillies around, or just for a change...

I make quite a few curries but none that would be termed a vindaloo, madras etc. I just call them curries...
They all have tumeric, cumin and coriander, and then whatever takes my fancy from the spice drawer that day...

Ayam brand curry powder is a favourite too. Lots of star anise in it :icon_drool2:

As a massive fan of the British curry variations I was always on the lookout for recipes. I stumbled upon this a few months ago, and when they say the Holy Grail they mean it!
Pretty simple to follow, makes heaps and stores well.
Our favourites are Veg Korma for SWMBO and Chicken Vindaloo for me! All washed down with a bitter of course.
Enjoy - Holy Grail

DK

I prefer the cuisine from Southern India! Rarely found in Indian resturants in Perth.

So i have to cook it!

This guy is fantastic (Das Sreedharan's)

We're lucky here, good mix of southern and northern Indian take-away :icon_drool2:

(an Indian FIL is also another very good resource for recipe/cooking lessons and feeback on my curries!)

Cheers SJ

I prefer the cuisine from Southern India!

Goa. If you want the best southern Indian food, Goa.

Nothing beats Goan cooking.

Goan fish curry with coconut. :icon_drool2: I had yum cha for lunch and a lemon chicken risotto for dinner but the thought of a goan fish curry is making me hungry.

Cheers
Dave

I have 4 varieties of thai chillis growing now.

Going to experiment with thai cooking....... especially the green and rad curry, this summer.

cheers

Just simmering a Madras Curry now as the NRL GF is starting. Used lamb and an aray or spices, Bhut Jalokia, fresh cury leaves, fresh tomatoes etc etc.

Will be making a yoghurt/cucumber side and going to try cooking the rice in the rice cooker with Coconut milk instead of water for something different. I read it somewhere...........

Pics later.

Cheers

Oh here it is.

I cooked the rice in half Coconut milk, half water in the rice cooker and it was wonderful. Went really well with the heat of the curry. I added some fresh chopped coriander to the Yoghurt and cucumber side dish which also was an excelent mix.

If i had it at a restraunt i would have thanked the Chef :)

cheers

MadrasCurry.jpg

Coconut Rice. .I've got a recipe somewhere but I think it uses even more coconut milk...Beautiful.
Used to order every time from the Thai place up the road, back when it was run by the old man and his Thai wife who lived in caravan at the back and only took cash...
Horrible decor, great food.
Place isn't the same any more...

Hello dere,

Here is a good site for Indian spices:-

http://www.noworriescurries.com.au/products.aspx

No Worries Curries :rolleyes: , even has carom seeds, which is an essential in South Indian
Cookery.

Saambhar Masala. - This spice powder is used mainly in making saambhar sauce, it is also used in the preparation of some other South Indian dishes. It can be made and stored in advance, and can last several weeks. Store in a dark, airtight container (small coffee tin). Dry roast all the ingredients in a cast iron pan for around 5 minutes. Grind into a powder.

2 T green lentils 2 t each of black peppercorns,
1 t each of cumin, cardamom and carom seeds
mustard, coriander t asafetida powder
and fenugreek seeds 1 T each of dried red chilies
2 T turmeric powder and curry leaves

enjoy

Saambhar Sauce.

Saambhar Sauce. - A good sauce for vegetables such as potato and cauliflower. Soak the brown lentils in water to cover overnight, then drain and coarsely grind them. Place the dhal mixture in a deep saucepan and add 2 cups water together with 1 t salt and the turmeric, and boil for 30 to 40 minutes until the dhal is tender. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the asafoetida, chilli, onion until deep golden. Stir in the saambhar powder, and cook for another minute. Add the ground brown lentils and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the frying mixture to the cooked dhal, pour in another 600ml water together with more salt to taste, add the vegetables and cook over medium heat until the vegies are tender (about 10 - 15 minutes). Add the coconut and lemon juice, blend well, and remove pan from heat. Garnish with green coriander and serve piping hot.

2 T brown lentils 1 green chilli, chopped
water as needed 1 T grated onion
250g mixed dhals 1 T saambhar powder (see
salt to taste recipe above)
pinch turmeric 250 g mixed vegies, chopped
1 T mustard oil 1 T desiccated coconut
pinch asafoetida powder 1 T lemon juice
1 T green coriander, chopped

Having this for dinner. Its beautiful:

Chicken Curry from Sri Lanka

Sri Lankan Murga Curry

Srilankan curries vary from house to house, just like Indian curries. It is difficult to generalise a curry recipe, but here is my version of cooking spicy chicken in coconut milk. the list of ingredients looks long but the recipe is not difficult to make. Serves 6-7

Ingredients

1 kg. chicken thigh pieces.
1 1/2 tbs. oil
1 tsp. mustard seeds
4-5 curry leaves
3 cardamoms* (large ones)
2 inch piece cinnamon stick*
1 stick of lemon grass (if you don't have it, use peel of 1/2 lemon or lime or use 1 big tbspon shredded)
2 medium onions (300 gm), peeled and finely chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped or equivalent amount of tinned tomatoes
2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
2 tsp. coriander powder*
1 level tsp. turmeric powder*
1 tsp. chilli powder* (adjust to taste)
1 tsp. fennel powder*
2 tsp. sweet paprika powder* for colour (optional)
2 tsp. salt, adjust to taste
2 tbs. malt vinegar
1 1/2 cup coconut milk, un-sweetened

Instructions

1. Wash and drain chicken pieces.
2. Heat oil in a heavy pan and add mustard seeds, cardamoms, cinnamon, curry leaves and allow seeds to splutter.
3. Add onion ginger and garlic and fry until browned.
4. Add all spices, salt and vinegar and stir for a few seconds.
5. Add chicken and stir until well sealed and covered in spices.
6. Add tomatoes and lemon grass and cook on medium heat, covered, until chicken is tender.
7. Add coconut milk and adjust seasoning.
8. Let it reats for a few minutes and spoon of excessive fat, if necessary.
9. Serve with Boiled Rice.

Notes

You can garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

Cheers
Steve

Making this again for dinner! Raita and Kachumber on the side, rotis and saffron/cumin/cloves/turmeric flavoured rice! Yum.....cant wait!
Cheers
Steve

quick update on my curry plant

This thing is great! It really adds that special something to my currys. Highly recomend anyone getting one.

I do think they can grow huge if put in the ground too so mine is in a pot. May put it in the ground when i do the garden out the front.

cheers

CurryPlant.jpg

quick update on my curry plant

This thing is great! It really adds that special something to my currys. Highly recomend anyone getting one.

I do think they can grow huge if put in the ground too so mine is in a pot. May put it in the ground when i do the garden out the front.

cheers

CurryPlant.jpg

very jealous!

very jealous!

Of the curry plant or the awesome plumbing job? :lol:

I think I better pop over to a plant place and grab me a curry plant as well. I have read they are fantastic.

yeah the plumbing job is great hey :) Was like that when i bought the place and has never leaked a drop...... and will run like that till it does leak :)

How does it go..... Silicon, hammer, duct tape and cable ties!

Tony, don't put the curry plant in the ground. They sucker up everywhere. My neighbour put one in two years ago right next to my vege garden. It is now four metres highand suckers coming up all through my asparagus and has killed basil and mint.

HD

DSC03263a.jpg

I do believe that if you spray the suckers it goes directly to the mother tree ie: kills it too :)

Spray your heart out!

Tony, don't put the curry plant in the ground. They sucker up everywhere. My neighbour put one in two years ago right next to my vege garden. It is now four metres highand suckers coming up all through my asparagus and has killed basil and mint.

HD

You should also cut the flower heads off before the seeds form. The birds love the seeds and spread them far and wide. They can be very invasive.

Ours is kept in a pot. Has been for years. Its about 1.5m tall (we keep it well trimmed) and produces more leaves that we will ever need. Pretty much provides for the whole street. Including my next door neighbour from Mauritius who pops round every day or two to grab some more.

Cheers
Dave

Edit: oh yeah.. if you do plant it in the ground, they will grow up to 5m tall and about 4-5 m wide.... They grow really quickly too. Apparently given the right conditions they will get even bigger than that.

Well I am Just about to do a Batch of Tony's Curry On page one and I'll be adding a Mint yogurt as a dip :)
I am thinking I might take some Photos as I haven't used my stupidly expensive camera in about 2 months Stay Posted!

Latest posts

Back