Curry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beef Vindaloo

1kg Chuck steak or other stewing steak
Butter/oil
500mL beef stock

Spice Paste
-3Tbsp coriander seeds
-1Tbsp cumin
-6 cloves
-1tsp cinnamon
-1tsp fennel
-1tsp black pepper
-1tsp brown sugar
-1/3 cup white vinegar

Chilli Paste
-4 medium chillis (I used shitty supermarket ones, all I had on hand)
-8 cloves garlic
-1 large onion

Chop meat into cubes, throw in a non-metallic bowl.

Grind together spice paste in mortar and pestle, rub into meat.

Leave meat for up to 24 hours, I left it 3.

Saute onion in some oil or butter until nearly black, remove from pan (leaving as much oil behind as possible), grind in mortar and pestle with other chilli paste ingredients. (I didn't do this, but meh)

Fry off meat (in batches if need be) in butter/oil until well coloured.

Throw all meat back in the pan, add chilli/onion/garlic, any leftover paste and beef stock.

Bring to boil, lower the heat and simmer 'til thick.

Before simmer and after simmer.
Curry0.JPG Curry1.JPG

Serve with rice/potatoes/whatever! Needs way more chilli but the sourness is bewwwwdiful. :icon_drool2:

:icon_cheers:

Edit: Oh, apparently it'll get better over the next few days... which is good as I have it for lunch all week :)

Beef Vindaloo

1kg Chuck steak or other stewing steak
Butter/oil
500mL beef stock

Spice Paste
-3Tbsp coriander seeds
-1Tbsp cumin
-6 cloves
-1tsp cinnamon
-1tsp fennel
-1tsp black pepper
-1tsp brown sugar
-1/3 cup white vinegar

Chilli Paste
-4 medium chillis (I used shitty supermarket ones, all I had on hand)
-8 cloves garlic
-1 large onion

Chop meat into cubes, throw in a non-metallic bowl.

Grind together spice paste in mortar and pestle, rub into meat.

Leave meat for up to 24 hours, I left it 3.

Saute onion in some oil or butter until nearly black, remove from pan (leaving as much oil behind as possible), grind in mortar and pestle with other chilli paste ingredients. (I didn't do this, but meh)

Fry off meat (in batches if need be) in butter/oil until well coloured.

Throw all meat back in the pan, add chilli/onion/garlic, any leftover paste and beef stock.

Bring to boil, lower the heat and simmer 'til thick.

Before simmer and after simmer.
View attachment 27007 View attachment 27008

Serve with rice/potatoes/whatever! Needs way more chilli but the sourness is bewwwwdiful. :icon_drool2:

:icon_cheers:

Edit: Oh, apparently it'll get better over the next few days... which is good as I have it for lunch all week :)

Why is it purple?

Because my phone camera is a piece of shit. :)

Just eating some for lunch now!

If you love your curry, you seriously need to try this. It's puri (an Northern Indian style bread), but it's better than any puri or Naan that you'll get at an Indian restaurant. And it's quite simple to make, beautiful just on it's own but freakin awesome for mopping up curry on your plate!

ingredients

600ml buttermilk
self raising flour

method

1. Take buttermilk out of fridge for a couple of hours and allow to warm up to room temperature.
2. Put 5 cups of SRF into a mixing bowl, make a well in the middle and pour the buttermilk in.
3. mix it with a spoon until it becomes a thick creamy sauce.
4. cover with a teatowel and let it sit for at about 2 hours. If you're doing this in winter particularly in the southern states, you may need to gently warm it by placing the mixing bowl into a larger bowl with hot water. (this is important)
5. add more handfulls of flour until it becomes a dough that you can pick up and knead.
6. take it out of the bowl and onto the bench and knead it for about 20 mins, adding more flour to make sure the dough is fairly dry but still nice & soft.
7. Now what I do at this point is split it up into 4 or 5 chunks about the size of my fist
8. take one of those chunks and roll it out about as thick as thick sausages, then tare off into smaller chunks about 2 - 3 inches long
9. Roll this out fairly thin, it should roll out to the size of a small dinner plate.
10. heat up sunflower or canola oil in a fry pan until it just begins to smoke.
11. roll out the bit of dough from step 9 again to regain it's shape and then throw it down onto the hot oil.
12. it will immediately start to expand and sizzle. give it about 5 - 10 seconds, then using a pair tongs, flip it over and pat it down, give it another 5 - 10 seconds (before it starts to burn), then remove and place on paper towel.
13. repeat steps 8 - 12 until you've got enough, adding more oil when it runs out.

A chunk of dough the size of a fist makes enough for two people. Then once you've had enough, you can freeze these chunks, and then the next time you make a curry, simply thaw it out, roll it out, fry it up, and eat eat eat!

I dont have any pictures... But I guarantee you, you wont be disappointed :)

Ahh, curry.

Now I feel qualified to type :icon_cheers:

Tandoori Haloumi on Peshwari naan with Raita and Pistachio Panch Phoran and Tarka Dahl with stuff in it...

TanHaloomi.jpg

Love curry... and Beer.

Holy shit that looks great.

Must be great, i cant pronounce the words :)

Holy shit that looks great.
Must be great, i cant pronounce the words :)

Cheers Tony, maybe I should've said; bread, jam and cheese and lentil soup: contains nuts.

Just between you and me... there's a secret to a good old English takeaway curry...

Wanna know the AG version...?

Yes, I know the secret of BIR (British Indian Restaurant) curries. ^_^
I managed to find a copy of a good book on them, and then found a fantastic forum www.cr0.co.uk that opened up my eyes.

Tell you what, it makes life so much easier!!

For the uninitiated - the key is the 'base sauce'. It's a thick soup mixture of tomato, onion, garlic, ginger, oil and basic curry spices. This sauce goes into every curry in the restaurant - and the main difference between the curries is the spices added in the initial fry and other ingredients at the end. Of course for things like jalfrezi you add capsicum etc. as well..
The meat is pre-prepared too, I usually parboil it but sometimes do a pseudo - tandoori or tikka.

It means you can get a beautiful tender and fresh curry to the table in 10 minutes after deciding what curry you want to make!

Awsome so many recipes, lucky me and the misses just purchased a wicked slow-cooker from big w for $38.

Also scored a small freezer yesterday to store "The Big Cook" in.

Well today is the day for some rendang. SWMBO'd and i picked up a whole bunch of sachet curry sauces at the local asian grocer. We both usually make everything from scratch but decided we would give these a go for when we are short on time aka weekdays. This is the "brahims" rendang. Slowly simmered for 3 hours until it dried out and fried off (the danger zone). The frying takes the meat from being moist and loose to fall apart butter meat. :icon_drool2:

The little red swab on the side is some killer Singaporean Ikan Billis (Dried Anchovy) Sambal. It's hotter than the rendang itself. The right side of my tongue is on fire! Dont worry, Ive got a trial bottle of my VIC case swap AIPA on hand! which is also :icon_drool2:

Lots of C hop aroma, lots of C hop flavour and a balanced amount of crystal and munich sweetness on the finish... awesome!

Beers (and curries!) :icon_cheers:

rendang.jpg

Singaporean Ikan Billis

I love that stuff, Great snack food when drinking beer... but also great along side a curry... Nasi Lemak is the bomb.

Another great packet curry paste is from a brand May Ploy comes in a bucket... Sometimes a little on the salty side so cut down on the fish sauce. Dont forget the palm sugar and kaffir lime leaves.

I also enjoy making Indian Curries from scatch!

Why am I always hungry and thirsty????

I love that stuff, Great snack food when drinking beer... but also great along side a curry... Nasi Lemak is the bomb.
Another great packet curry paste is from a brand May Ploy comes in a bucket... Sometimes a little on the salty side so cut down on the fish sauce. Dont forget the palm sugar and kaffir lime leaves.

Yeah Ikan Billis with peanuts is awesome. this was in a sambal. made it crunchy and salty! *drool*. Just polished off the leftovers for lunch. The Mae Ploy Thai Pastes are really good. Im a big fan of the Penang Curry.... niiiiice.

Cooking Saag lamb tonight, raita, kuchumber, parathas, poppodoms for dinner

Saag Lamb

500-1kg good diced lamb
250-300gms spinach leaves (finely chopped frozen spinach is good)
2 tbspn methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) If using dry methi soak them in a cup of cold water for 10 mins before adding. Scoop them out of the cup when you need to add them.
2 medium onions
2 tspns of minced ginger
2 tspns of minced garlic
4-5 curry leaves
2-3 brown cardamon pods (with one end only just chopped off)
2 green chillies
3 tbsons oil or ghee
1 tspn tumeric
1.5 tspns coriander powder
Salt to taste
2 heaped tbspons tomato puree or half a tin on diced tomatoes
1 tspn garam masala
cup of thick cream

Instructions

Put lamb in a bowl with tumeric and tspn of salt and mix.
Leave lamb to sit for half an hour.
Heat oil in a pan, add the onions, garlic, ginger, brown cardamon, curry leaves and fry until onions are nicely browned.
Add lamb and stir fry on high until its nicely sealed
Add the green chillies and coriander and a dash more tumeric.
Add tomatoes and fry again until nicely browned and mixed
Add a cup of water and bring to the boil. Cover and cook the lamb for as long as you want so that the meat is tender. I usually do mine for 1.5-2 hours!
Add the spinach and methi leaves and cook for another 5-10 mins
Add the cream and stir and cook for another 5 mins

Yum!

Cheers
Steve

The perfect accompliment (is that the word) to a hot curry..... :icon_drool2:

Bhindi Kichadi

200g okra
5 tbsp oil
200g plain yoghurt
tsp mustard seeds
10 curry leaves
Salt

For the spice paste

100g freshly grated or desiccated coconut
1 green chilli
1 clove garlic
1 tsp mustard power

Serves 4

Cut the okra into 1cm pieces and set aside . Place the ingredients for the spice paste into a grinder and process them for 1 minute or until roughly ground. Set aside.

Heat the oil in large frying pan and fry the okra until brown. Remove the okra from the pan and drain on kitchen paper. Set aside.

Place the yogurt in a mixing bowl and beat with a fork. Add the cooked okra, spice paste a little salt and mix well.

Reheat the oil remaining in the pan. Add the mustard seeds and , as they begin to pop add the curry leaves. Cook for 1 minute then pour the mixture over the okra. Stir well and serve at room temperature.

Doing my wifes favourite for dinner tonight, Butter Chicken (Marga Makhani)

1kg Chicken thighs chops into BIG chunks
2tbs butter
2tbs oil
2-3 bay leaves
1 inch piece of cinnamon
1 tbs shredded ginger*
1 tbs shredded garlic*
1 onion*
1 tspn suger
350 gm tinned chopped tomatoes (pureed in a blender)
1 tspn chilli powder
1.5 tspns tandoor masala
Salt to taste
2-3 tbs cashew nuts soacked for 1 hour and ground to a paste
1 cup of milk
Half cup of water
3 tbs double cream
1 tspn garam masala
* Blend together in a blender to make a paste

Instructions
Heat butter and oil
Add bay leaves, cinnamon, ginger/garlic/onion paste.
Add sugar when onions are becoming transparent (helps to caralmise onions). Cook until it turns brownish and all water is gone.
Add tomatoes, chilli powder, sale, tandoor masala and fry until oil separates
Add cashew paste and fry for 20 seconds
Add milk and water and bring to boil, stirring all the time. The gravy should be like custard
Add chicken and fry for a few minutes, then cover and cook on low until its tender. I usually do it for about an hour.
Add double cream and garam masala
Cook for 5 mins
Serve with rice and garnish with coriander leaves.

P.S. You can also add a couple of drops of red/orange food colouring before adding the chicken to make it look like the stuff from a restaurant.

Cheers
Steve

Sounds nice Steve. Will have to give that a go. Thanks for posting it.

Aaron

Great thread.
So far I have fed two brew days with my Pork Vindaloo including today with my Bribie BIAB demo brew day. I use a slow cooker.

Basis is a good Sri Lankan Paste for Pork or Chicken, good ones in the jar are Larich, MD or Agra brands from Indian grocers but avoid the UK or Australian ones.

1.5 kg diced pork from a Chinatown butcher
2 large onions diced
head garlic chopped
good piece ginger grated

2 large potatoes diced and parboiled

third of a jar curry paste
can coconut cream
jar passata style tomato puree

large tsp tamarind paste
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
tablespoon sugar

1tsp each turmeric, coriander, cumin, garam masala.

some white flour.
Ghee or peanut oil or olive oil to fry

Toss pork cubes in flour and fry in batches in oil and put aside

Fry onion, garlic, ginger till transparent. Add dry spices and fry. Add paste and fry for a minute. Layer pork, potatoes and fried veg in slow cooker.

Blend jar of passata and coconut cream in large bowl and blend well the tamarind, sugar and vinegar. Drizzle over the pork and veg in the slow cooker until all covered and the sauce has completely submerged the solid items. Slow cook for 8 hours. Serve with heaps of basmatti.

Serves 6 to 8

Sounds very nice Bribie

I'm not usually a lunch person and was full from the Vindaloo, so when the troops went home last night from the brewday SWMBO and I just got in some fish and chips from the takeaway up the street. The brewboys had left a good layer of gravy on the bottom of the slow cooker so I just dipped chip after chip in the vindaloo gravy. :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: Bugger the fish, went to my mate's dog.

Cooked a very nice Chicken Madras the other night.

The word ‘Madras’ is often added to the name of an Indian dish in UK simply because it is very hot. South Indian dishes tend to be hotter than North and Central Indian dishes and this may be the reason for it. Perhaps such dishes should now be called ‘Chennai’ Curries, as Madras has now been renamed as Chennai. The recipe can be used to make beef, pork and lamb curries too, cooking times will vary. Serves 6

Ingredients
• 1 kg. good quality lean chicken thighs, cut into BIG chunks.
• 2-3 tbsp. cooking oil
• 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
• 8-10 curry leaves
• 150 gm. or 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped finely
• 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated/chopped
• 1 inch piece root ginger, peeled and grated
• 2 tsp. coriander powder
• 2 tsp. ground cumin powder
• 1 level tsp. turmeric powder
• 1 level tsp. chilli powder (more if you like it hotter), I used 2
• 1 1/2 tsp. salt (adjust to taste)
• 2-3 tbsp. white vinegar
• 2 tbs. tomato puree, I used a tbs of tomato sauce
• 1 cup beef stock or water
• A handful of chopped coriander leaves (optional)

Instructions
1. Place chicken in a bowl.
2. Add coriander, cumin, salt, turmeric, chilli powder and vinegar and mix well. Keep aside to marinate.
3. Heat oil in a pan.
4. Add mustard seeds. As the seeds start to splutter, add curry leaves, stir quickly and add onions, garlic and ginger. Fry until onions are golden-dark brown.
5. Add chicken and spice mix and stir fry until it is well sealed.
6. Add tomato puree and stock/water. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer on low heat, until chicken is tender.
7. Turn heat off, add coriander leaves and stir.
8. Serve with Plain Pulao Rice.

Notes
• You can use tamarind sauce, instead of vinegar and tomato puree. I used all three!
• I only used 500gms of chicken as it was just for me but kept all the other ingredients the same.
• I ALSO USED HALF A TEASTPOON OF TONYS 7 POT CHILLI POWDER (Cheers Tony!)

It was bloody beautiful. As soon as I put in Tonys chilli powder the smell hit me and I got a bit scared. The taste though was something else. It didnt seem to add that much more heat than the chilli powder I added...it just added another taste of some kind of fruit. Very hard to describe.

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back