Curry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im going to look into a good asian style chilli to grow next season for my thai curry research

I have a couple of good recipes to try out..... just to ge ttime to make them :)

Wow lots of curry heads out there.

Yep

My great dream is to be able to cook at least one authentic dish from every country on earth. So far I have covered Western Europe, North and South America and SE Asia. I'm working in India and the whole eastern European region (including all the Stans - Afghanistan, Pakistan, Turkmenistan etc). I'm treating each region in India as a separate country for culinary purposes. Once I've finished Asia I'll move on to Africa. I've made a quick African detour already to work on Moroccan as that's one of my favourites.

Lots of lovely spicy food from all round the globe.

Cheers
Dave

I cook indian at least 2-3 times a week. All from scratch of course. Made a saag beef yesterday with parathas, turmeric/garam masala flavoured rice, raita and kachumber! Delicious. Sinkas i'd be keen to grab some seeds also if possible?
Cheers
Steve

Edit: If you havent seen this before im making my own tandoor oven:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&hl=tandoor

Now that i have my Indian curry sown pay im going to start work on a green and red thai curry as i love these also!

cheers

Thai red or birds eye chillies (i pick half of them while still green for green and jungle curries) work the best for me in thai curries.

i actually perfected my thai curries while living in the UK as it no-one had all the ingredients to make thai. Where i lived (Durham) there was a dozen indian restaurants and 1 over priced thai place whose curries were watered down and westernised.

I love spending an hour with the mortar and pestle and usually crank out 2 pastes in one sitting. Also got a mean laksa paste in my armoury but i love the red/green/jungle and massamam (left over roast lamb....) the best

As with indian and fresh curry leaves, fresh kaffir lime leaves are crucial in thai curries. They also freeze well but my tree is almost ready to be able to supply me permanently.

Inspired by this thread i raided the local asian grocery store which has a decent spice range to top up on a few things ready for some indian curry experiments. Found fresh curry leaves too!

Next we need a thread on chilli con carne.......

my curry tree is about 6ft tall, and has overgrown my pathetic coffee tree

Its also got seed pod s on it at the moment so If you want seeds KAtie, I'll harvest

Case...

I would appreciate that very much. Even though I have hundreds in the freezer I would love a tree. I have heard of those huge curry trees mine and others I have seen are like twigs...

Dr Smurto.... Kaffir Lime leaves are amazing.... Have you looked in to Peranakan cuisine... mixture of Chinese and Malay.. I can forward you a fantastic dish (Kaffir Lime Leaf Chicken)....

Dont forget to add chocolate to your chilli con carne!

Next we need a thread on chilli con carne.......

:icon_offtopic: ...but here is Barack Obamas Chilli con carne recipe (apparently) from www.chillies-down-under.com.au website.

Barack Obama's Chilli Recipe

Chilli wisdom from the man who has been dumped with the task of cleaning up after Bush.

1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
Several cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablsp olive oil
500g (1 pound) minced (ground) turkey or beef
teasp ground cumin
teasp ground oregano
teasp ground turmeric
teasp ground basil
1 tablsp chilli powder
3 tablsp red wine vinegar
Several tomatoes, depending on size, chopped
1 can red kidney beans

Saute onions, green pepper and garlic in olive oil until soft.

Add ground meat and brown.

Combine spices together into a mixture, then add to ground meat.

Add red wine vinegar.

Add tomatoes and let simmer, until tomatoes cook down.

Add kidney beans and cook for a few more minutes.

Serve over white or brown rice.

Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, onions and sour cream

Sounds good!
Cheers
Steve

:icon_offtopic: ...but here is Barack Obamas Chilli con carne recipe (apparently) from www.chillies-down-under.com.au website.

Barack Obama's Chilli Recipe

I wouldn't have picked obama as a tex-mex kind of guy but there you are.

My preference for a Con-carne is an authentic mexican Mole Con carne which is completely different to the Tex-Mex version. I'll have to dig up the recipe but it uses 4 different types of mexican chilli and uses chunks of steak rather than mince. its fantastic.

Tony - While we're talking South American, have you ever used any of your uber hot chilli in a ceviche?

Cheers
Dave

I think we need photos for this thread... Im making my favourite curry on Thursday which is a Burmese Chicken Curry so look out for photos on Friday... yumbo!

I love curries in all shapes an sizes, and highly recommend the following recipe for Chicken Balti. Its the first hit for "balti recipe" on google, hence I found it by fluke, but I have made it a couple of times now and it comes up great! Even better, do this recipe, and once its ready get some chips from your local fish and chips shop, and serve it over half rice, half chips!

http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/rsc/balti.htm

I love curries in all shapes an sizes, and highly recommend the following recipe for Chicken Balti. Its the first hit for "balti recipe" on google, hence I found it by fluke, but I have made it a couple of times now and it comes up great! Even better, do this recipe, and once its ready get some chips from your local fish and chips shop, and serve it over half rice, half chips!

LOL chips and curry that is such a UK/Ireland thing

:eek: hot chips n curry? - you heathen you. You arent English by any chance are you?

:eek: hot chips n curry? - you heathen you. You arent English by any chance are you?

Not actually, learnt the trick from a Welshman!

Chips and anything is good...

Ive made this a few times and is great.

Potato Curry, with Onion Free Gravy, North Indian
(Aloo Rasedar, Bina Pyaz ke)

Ingredients
• 500 gm. potatoes
• 150 gm. approximately, tinned or fresh chopped tomatoes
• 1 tbs. oil or ghee
• 1 tsp. cumin seeds or Nigella/kalaunji seeds or mustard seed/rai
• A large pinch of asafoetida powder
• 1/2 inch piece of ginger, grated (optional)
• 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
• 1 tsp. coriander powder
• 1/4 tsp. chilli powder or to taste
• 2 tbs. dry methi leaves (kasoori methi) (optional)
• Salt to taste
• 1 1/2- 2 cups boiling water
• 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala
• A handful of chopped coriander leaves.

Instructions
1. Boil or microwave potatoes in their skin.
2. Cool, peel and break or chop into bite size pieces. If you are looking for a thick gravy, mash the potatoes lightly with your hand, without breaking them completely. Or, mash a few pieces completely.
3. Heat oil in a pan.
4. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. When seeds splutter, add ginger and fry for a few seconds.
5. Add tomatoes, all the spices (you can use curry powder instead of all these spices) and salt. If using methi leaves, add them now.
6. Fry until oil separates.
7. Add potatoes and stir gently.
8. Add water and bring to boil. Amount of water depends upon how thick you like your curry gravy to be. Some people like this dish with a thick gravy that can be served on the dinner plate directly. Others want/like quite a runny gravy, which has to be served in small bowls (Indian katori). Start by adding less and increase it to what is right for you. The choice is yours.
9. Simmer for a few minutes.
10. Turn heat off and add garam masala and coriander leaves.
11. Serve hot with Chapatties or Plain Parathas or Poories.

Last time I made it I added some corn, peas and spinach from memory.

P1010073.JPG

Cheers
Steve

P.S. Yes I do take pics of my curries as I frequent an Indian food website (where I got this recipe from)

Potatoes and other carbs make me fat............. look what the beer does!

I prefer dead animal! Looks great though mate. I think one of the most mis understood facts about indian food is a lot of it does not have meat in it.

Planning to get my coriander for seeds planted soon. Got a great crop off last year

Tony - While we're talking South American, have you ever used any of your uber hot chilli in a ceviche?

Mate i honestly have never heard of it........ ive spent most of ly life working myself to death so have missed out on a lot. Im going to have a great supply of heat soon so please share :)

cheers

I prefer dead animal!

Me too but the freezer was bare and I was hungry - so I made a vegie curry for the first time. Should try it...its very nice. After a couple of days if there is any left over and dried up a bit you can use the leftovers to make samosas!. Cut long sheets of puff pastry about 30cm long x 10cm wide, add a big tablespoon at one end. Fold the pastry over from one corner, then do the same from the other corner, keep going and you will make a big fat triangle. Brush all over with egg and bake in oven until golden brown! Yum!
Cheers
Steve

Mate i honestly have never heard of it........ ive spent most of ly life working myself to death so have missed out on a lot. Im going to have a great supply of heat soon so please share :)

cheers

OK.. ceviche is a South American speciality. Originated apparently in Peru though its claimed by most countries round there. They all have their various regional diferences but the basic premise is the same -

Take chunks of firm white fleshed fish (I've done it using barra and its lovely). Other countries use prawns or scallops.
Slice a red onion thinly and mix with the fish
Slice chillies very fine and mix in (in Peru they would use Aji Limon or Roccoto) Habs would work well.
Cover in lime juice
Leave to marinate for an hour or two
During this time the lime juice cooks the fish (you'll see it going opaque)
Eat. The Peruvian server it with chunks of yellow and white potato and BBQ corn.

Its hot and sour and fishy. Absolutely beautiful.

Cheers
Dave

OK.. ceviche is a South American speciality. Originated apparently in Peru though its claimed by most countries round there. They all have their various regional diferences but the basic premise is the same -

Take chunks of firm white fleshed fish (I've done it using barra and its lovely). Other countries use prawns or scallops.
Slice a red onion thinly and mix with the fish
Slice chillies very fine and mix in (in Peru they would use Aji Limon or Roccoto) Habs would work well.
Cover in lime juice
Leave to marinate for an hour or two
During this time the lime juice cooks the fish (you'll see it going opaque)
Eat. The Peruvian server it with chunks of yellow and white potato and BBQ corn.

Its hot and sour and fishy. Absolutely beautiful.

Cheers
Dave

I love that stuff, I have had it Fijian style though and they also had coconut juice... its devine...

I love that stuff, I have had it Fijian style though and they also had coconut juice... its devine...

That sounds good. I think they also do something similar in the carribian with squid & octopus rather than fish. Maybe some of Tony's 7 pots or scorpions would be the go there...

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back