Current Tax Rates For Transport Fuels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighanno

Reaction score
Current Tax Rates for Transport Fuels are:

Petrol (including regular unleaded, premium unleaded, and lead replacement petrol) 38.143 Cents Per Litre
Diesel 38.143 Cents Per Litre
Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) 0
Ethanol (even if blended with petrol or diesel) 38.143 Cents Per Litre
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) 0
Biodiesel (100% ie unblended) 0
Biodiesel (if blended with conventional diesel) 38.143 Cents Per Litre

GST

Add 10% to the price of all of the above fuels.

......................and there's nothing the Govt can do to help us with the cost? Should read there's nothing they want to do!!!!!!

The last time I heard numbers about how much it will cost to cut taxes on fuel, a $1.5bn cut (which is about as high as we could expect) would cut about 3c a litre off the price of petrol.

Woo.

Appreciate a couple of cents off count for little at our end, but they apply a tax on a tax, double dipping!!!

Oh how terrible it is to be taxed and live in a first world country where most household have 2 cars,and some even have a boat for "recreation"
Whilst other less fortunate people around the world don't even have clean drinking water of the standard we have to flush wantonly down our toilets 9 litres @ a time.Or food for that matter.

Stop whinging about petty crap and realise just how lucky we are.Sell a car walk,catch a bus,ride a bike.Who knows if some of us thought twice about the price of fuel and didn't use so much needlessly we might even help the environment.Wouldn't that be funny,another one of those things we like to whinge about all the climate changes,might actually benefit from the price of fuel whinge.

Leave your car at home for a week and send the money you saved on fuel to some one who doesn't have clean water.

You miss the point, we are being ripped off, those that can least afford it are the most vunerable. Sure we have hot and cold runnig water and well off compared to other countries. No amount of money will solve their problems whilst corrupt governments receive that aid...........whole new arguement in its self. Gee wouldn't we all like to live in the city and have access to public transport or walk to the shops or walk our kids to school, in rural country Australia, fuel is a necessity not a luxury. Try walking your kids 30km round trip each day to school or walking 20 km to work. Yes where we live is a choice for some for others its not. Those of us on tank water would use that 9 litres like liqued gold. Maybe you are right, maybe the price of fuel is petty crap.........what do other rural folk think????

And with each price rise, the tax goes up too.

Why would the Govt want to reduce fuel prices?

After all, its free enterprise.

THe thing that gets me fired up, is that the price of Diesel is more than that of petrol. Assuming that the taxation figures given above are correct, then the govt is not making any more money out of it, so that must meant hat someone else is making a killing on it.... let me think.... who could that be?
Diesel is a cheaper product to make than petrol, with far less refining required, and while I don't drive a diesel anymore, the insidious nature of transport costs mean that we are all paying a premium for everything to cover that higher price.
The ACCC need to take a real good look into this.

dreamboat

Thanks DB, thats just what I was thinking. Its been said its supply and demand more useing diesel now so more expencive . I was under the (false) impresion that if more were useing it, it should be cheeper still :(
Just another case of getting it in the rear by big business/gov.

:beer:

When a farmer produces a crop such as barley, about a 1/3 of his costs are fuel.

The paddock work is something like:
1. spray for weeds
2. plough
3. sow seed
4. reap
5. spread super/fertilizer
6. plough

Then there are transport costs to the silo, on to the malting plant, then to the distributor. Primary production does attract fuel rebates, but that does not change the fact that fuel costs have gone up by 50% over the last year or so.

So the increase in fuel costs are going to affect beer prices, malt extract prices and grain prices.

Thats life in a first world country I'm afraid.
pay for the priveleges or do with out em.

Maybe its time to take the Amish approach and hitch up the horse :lol:

Brauluver said:
Maybe its time to take the Amish approach and hitch up the horse :lol:
[post="122710"][/post]​

Are they the ones that have more than one wife?
I couldn't cop that. Twice as much nagging! 2 mother-in-laws :eek: !
I will just cut back on car trips & get the push bike out.
cheers
Gerard

Gerard_M said:
Are they the ones that have more than one wife?
I couldn't cop that. Twice as much nagging! 2 mother-in-laws :eek: !
cheers
Gerard
[post="122712"][/post]​

Nahhh.... that's the mormons. The Amish are even worse - they don't drink. :beerbang:

Giving serious consideration to investing in a vesper. Or a still for ethanol fuel production.

Cheers
Dave

Gerard_M said:
cheers
Gerard
[post="122712"][/post]​

There is 2 benefits already.

1. Your health will benefit
2. The environment will benefit

dreamboat said:
THe thing that gets me fired up, is that the price of Diesel is more than that of petrol. Assuming that the taxation figures given above are correct, then the govt is not making any more money out of it, so that must meant hat someone else is making a killing on it.... let me think.... who could that be?
Diesel is a cheaper product to make than petrol, with far less refining required, and while I don't drive a diesel anymore, the insidious nature of transport costs mean that we are all paying a premium for everything to cover that higher price.

dreamboat
[post="122614"][/post]​

I think the reason diesel is more expensive than petrol is that it needs to be more refined to meet australias sulfer standards. Also there is possibly the economies of scale factor. More people in Australia use petrol than diesel.

bighanno said:
Appreciate a couple of cents off count for little at our end, but they apply a tax on a tax, double dipping!!!
[post="122492"][/post]​

My earlier post was referring to the post-GST tax cuts to petrol (I remembered this- everyone said it was pointless)

News; Opinion
Bowser Savings Make Economic Sense
Alan Kohler
823 words
6 March 2001
Australian Financial Review
English
Copyright of John Fairfax Group Pty Ltd
It takes a year for a rate cut to flow through to the economy, but a cut in petrol tax goes straight into everyone's pockets, argues Alan Kohler.

If it was a choice between a petrol tax cut and an interest rate cut, you would have to go for the petrol tax cut every time.

Thankfully the two are not mutually exclusive, and the Reserve Bank will still cut rates probably tomorrow despite last week's 1.5cents-a-litre, $700-million-a-year reduction in petrol excise.

John Howard's backdown on petrol prices was lousy politics (whispers have started about his leadership anyway) but pretty good economics.

Economic activity is slowing sharply, and GDP may well have shrunk in the December quarter as the first part of a recession. We will find out on Wednesday.

Monetary policy is not a very good way to stimulate a flagging economy. By definition almost half the population are savers and half are borrowers (with banks taking a cut on the way through), so while a lot of households and businesses will benefit from lower rates, their extra spending power is offset by the nation's savers having to tighten their belts.

What's more, it takes at least 12 months for the effect of a rate cut to flow through to the economy, yet the economy needs stimulating yesterday, not next year.

A cut in petrol excise, on the other hand, goes straight into everyone's pockets. Even people who don't drive get it filtered through the cost of transporting the products they buy. In purely economics terms, the only problem with last week's cut in petrol excise was that it wasn't big enough or soon enough.

John Howard and Peter Costello got the politics of petrol wrong because they have been well trained to worry about jeopardising interest rate cuts with loose fiscal policy. They held out against calls for lower petrol excise because surplus-obsessed Treasury officials and market economists were murmuring that if they were virtuous and strong on petrol, the financial markets and the Reserve Bank would reward them later.

They probably should have ignored them: the economy would be in better shape and they would have a better chance of winning the election. In fact, it wouldn't have been such a stupid idea for the Government to cut petrol excise by enough to actually crowd out further rate cuts, say 5cents or 10cents a litre.

I know this sounds like heresy, but interest rates are not especially high relative to other countries at the moment, and don't particularly need to be reduced. Petrol taxes, on the other hand, are definitely too high and should be cut both for equity and fiscal policy reasons.

But there are two big advantages that monetary policy has over fiscal policy: central bankers are more trustworthy than politicians, and it is much easier to take back a rate cut than a tax cut.

This really gets to the heart of why the conventional economic wisdom is that the petrol excise cut was a bad idea and that the Federal Budget in May needs to be tough to keep the interest rate cuts coming.

Fiscal policy is out of fashion and monetary policy is in, because there is a piece of paper that says the Treasurer does not tell the Governor of the Reserve Bank what to do, while no such document or convention exists about the Secretary to the Treasury.

The Reserve Bank Governor can be relied upon to protect the currency from vote-hungry politicians by putting up interest rates (although he is always more inclined to do that than to cut them). But if the Prime Minister decides to cut taxes to save his skin as Howard did last week then there is nothing the Secretary to the Treasury can do about it, and it is hard to put them up again.

As a result, markets hate tax cuts and applaud rate cuts. In economic terms it often should be the other way around, but politicians have so corrupted their standing among investors by always giving and hardly ever taking, that they are no longer trusted with the policy levers.

But that doesn't change the fact that the economy is screeching to a halt, and the monetary policy lever alone may take too long to work.

Last year's income tax cut was mostly saved because of uncertainty over the GST, and the net effect of the business tax changes has been a significant depressant on the economy. This means that out of all the tax reforms of the past 12 months, the petrol excise cut is the first bit of direct economic stimulus we have seen.

Only trouble is that it was a piddling 1.5cents a litre 75cents off the price of a tankful.

I was close- $1.4bn (back then) would have cut prices by 3c.

dreamboat said:

dreamboat
[post="122614"][/post]​

FNQ Bunyip said:
Thanks DB, thats just what I was thinking. Its been said its supply and demand more useing diesel now so more expencive . I was under the (false) impresion that if more were useing it, it should be cheeper still :(
Just another case of getting it in the rear by big business/gov.

:beer:
[post="122637"][/post]​

Supply is determined by refinery capacity, which is low, due to the fuel shock of the eighties (fuel producers, understandably, are scared of another glut). Also, Australian oil is high in gas, but low in the higher octane hydrocarbons. Thus, we have to import light sweet crude from other countries to make up this shortfall. Maybe investment in biodeisel would help, plus going to nuclear power (to reduce demand, and make electricity cheaper)

Also, cutting fuel tax is against the Liberal Party's fiscal policy anyway. Their policies are based on-
1- keeping taxation as a percentage of GST steady or lower than before
2- cutting direct taxes (ie income tax) in favour of indirect (GST, fuel tax)
3- minimal interference with business.

Carried to its logical final point, it's called Neoliberalism, or 'The Washington Consensus', as it was known in the eighties.

Diesel is the bottom end of the refining process and in most countries around the world it is reflected in the price, about half and that includesin NZ.
Up until about 1975 it was the same here then the truckies were having a whine about road taxes so the Gov doubled the price of diesel and reduced the road tasxes, the usual loser pays system.
There were rebates for truck companies but not the poor bunnies who had a diesel car or whatever.
Over the years the road taxes crept back up and the price of diesel remained high and the gov were a very happy bunch with their stuff you attitude.
As for public transport, not an option for me, we have a bus at 7.00am and 8.00am and only goes one way, and only one home at night, wife works 50km away and could get to work on the bus but would never get home again.
I work wherever I am called and need a car, I refuse to pedal 100km in a suit to an appointment.
I also drive a big thirsty Landcruiser, why?, because we train horses and need a vehicle that is capable of towing one tonne of float and a bit over that with two big mules on board.
Have a smaller car that is SWMBO's for work and for me to have a second car would be another major expense, like about $1000 just for rego and insurance alone, not too practical.
People say buy a Commode or Foulcan but they just are too bloody dangerous pulling a big load and I like the full time 4WD for better handling, so, I pay the price and drive safe.
I used to work with a wanker who advocated riding a bike to work, yeah, great, he lived in Melbs inner burbs and we used to live 50kms out, noticed when he went for a trip up the Yarra Valley he never took his bike, bloody hippocrites.

Hi folks,

dont complain too much, all of you are very lucky to live in Australia.

We Germans are world champions in tax paying.

for one liter of unleaded petrol we pay around 1,35 equal 2,25Au$

yeah, we were laughing when we fueled up our car in Australia.

Our GST is presently still 16%, from Jan. 2007 it rises to 19% !!!!!!!!

Do you still have a place for a frustrated German?

People better get used to the rising cost of fuel. And the rising cost of products that are transported by road.

It will not go down again. Dont be suprised if it is $1.80-$2.00 by this time next year if not earlier.

Blame who you want to but the fact of the matter is that oil is not an unlimited resource. It will actualy run out one day.

That along with China's huge surge in demand will keep pushing the price up.

Want cheap products from China?

Well, expect to pay more at the bowser.

johnno

Latest posts

Back