Culturing Duvel Yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCT

Beer Nerd
Reaction score
Yes, life is tough.
I'm torn between finishing this 750mL bottle of Duvel, or after seeing the yeast in the bottom of the bottle, saving it to culture.
Anyone know if it's the fermenting strain or a bottling strain? And if it's the real deal, what temps to ferment at?
Now if you don't mind, I'll go back to stroking the bottle :lol: .
MCT.

Pretty sure it's the primary strain. Not used it so I can't help much more.

If you've read "brew like a monk" then you may think again about salvaging yeast from a Trappist bottle. Basically you should keep in mind that the yeast has gone through a pretty arduous time before ending up where it is and may not respond the way you expect it. It's kinda like asking a marathon running to go and run an extra 5km down the road to pick up the milk and paper for you just after they have run a full marathon.

Personally I'd be going for a fresh batch from a quality brew shop.

Devo is right, Your better off spending 10-15 bucks and getting the right strain in good condition and using that. I've tried using yeast from bottles and sometimes it does work but it's more of a gamble and your then risking losing the time it tkes to brew and the cost of the ingredients to save $8. Wyeast sell the one your after, Belgian Golden strong Ale.

I'm not sure you'll get the same results with the bottle yeast.
This page linky reckons there are two strains used in fermentation but only one of them is used for bottling.
BLAM says one strain is used for both bottling and fermenting but "circumstances for the strain are different when used for bottling" whatever that means!

I looked into this ages ago when I reading Clone Brews, which has pear extract as part of their recipe :huh: and decided that was because they were saying to use the bottle yeast, rather than the wyeast strain, and were not getting any pear esters from their yeast. But maybe they don't know how to ferment it to get the esters out of it.

I'm just creating confusion here aren't I? Well that's what AHB is all about! :)

Back