Cultering Up Schofferhofer Hefeweissen Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grinder

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I am putting down an AG wheat tomorrow and have cultered up a Schofferhofer yeast from the bottle.

I was reading somewhere that some bottle conditioned weissens use a different yeast in the bottle to the primary yeast.
Has anyone made a wheat using this yeast?

I am just a bit concerned that it may be a lager yeast not the original yeast that was used to make the beer?

If anyone has used this yeast in their wheat could you let me know how it turned out and whether or not it is a proper wheat ale yeast?

Cheers

Its a lager strain,and no i havn't used it 4 that very reason.
Schnieder would be your best bet,or just cadge a bottle of HB of another wheat brewer and culture from that

Hi Guys
I am putting down an AG wheat tomorrow and have cultered up a Schofferhofer yeast from the bottle.
I was reading somewhere that some bottle conditioned weissens use a different yeast in the bottle to the primary yeast.
Has anyone made a wheat using this yeast?

Hello grinder,

as far as I know the Schoefferhofer contains a lager yeast, not recommended to use that yeast.

Ive a little list for eligible german yeasts:

(Hefe)Weizenbiere:
Schneider-Weisse (Kelheim),
Maisel Hefeweizen (Bayreuth),
Kuchlbauer Weisse (Abensberg),
Ritter St. Georgen-Brauerei (Nennslingen);
Gutmann Hefeweizen (Titting),
Pinkus-Hefeweizen (Pinkus Mller, Mnster),
Prinzregent-Luitpold-Weizen (Schlossbrauerei Kaltenberg)
Appenzeller Hefeweizen (Schweiz).

I hope, youll be able to catch some of them.

Cheers

maisels yeast was good, used it a few years ago, don't know if you can still get it in this country.

i think the prinzregent luitpold turns up around the place every now and again, amatos have had it.

schneider is probably your best bet.

Recently I've had Maisel in Canberra at a bar called Debacle and at the Germania Club in Charlestown near Newcastle. It's around, but tough to find.

I spent several weeks some years back in the neighbourhood of Kelheim, and got through frighteningly large amounts of Schneider Weisse. Frisch und lecker...those really were the days...

I'd go the Maisels or the Schneider for culturing. I believe they contain the real deal.

Recently I've had Maisel in Canberra at a bar called Debacle and at the Germania Club in Charlestown near Newcastle. It's around, but tough to find.
Thanks for the tip re the Germania club. Do they have it on display or do I need to ask for it. Might have to make a special trip.

Had a few Friday drinks there coz they have DAB Dortmunder on tap and bottled Gosser dark. Yum

Never thought to ask about weissbier. D1Ckhe@d!

oh before I forget, I cultured that yeast and one from Shofferhofer too, just for practice. Any good for a lager beer, or just for bottling? Zwickel? Whistlingjack?

Seth out :p

I've used Hofbru Mnchen for its weizen yeast and had great success. Just the right amount of banana ester for my taste, when fermented at around 18 degrees.

Seth, I can't tell you anything about that yeast as I haven't used it myself. But I'm guessing it would be ok if you cultured some and gave it a go.

On a side issue, I was in the supermarket the other day, shopping for hefeweizen, and came across Schfferhofer mixed with grapefruit. I was tempted to get one to try, but commonsense led me to the special on cases of Erdinger... :p

WJ

Thanks for the tip re the Germania club. Do they have it on display or do I need to ask for it. Might have to make a special trip.

Had a few Friday drinks there coz they have DAB Dortmunder on tap and bottled Gosser dark. Yum

DAB is gone from the tap - they now have Veltins Pils. Not bad, not great.

The Maisel was listed as a special when I was there about 3 weeks ago. They only had the Krystal. I'm not sure if it's a permanent thing though. I sure hope so, it made the trip well worthwhile. Along with the sausage and sauerkraut anyway...

Back