Cubed beer - Reduced head?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storeboughtcheeseburgers

Reaction score
I brewed a double of LCPA Clone - pretty happy with the results. The first batch I bottled was bulk primed with about 6g/litre cane sugar. Usually I go 5.8 but upped it slightly to 6 as it was mighty cold that week - about 1 week later I put the second down at my usual 5.8g/litre

The first batch is all gone, it was great - heaps of head and carbed up nicely. It was almost too much head at times!

The second batch, not so much - very little head - lightly carbed and definitely nice flavour, as good as bath 1 - but the original batch was much better in ways of carbonation and head.

So I guess I am wondering if cubed brews produce less head... but now I'm writing this out I am thinking that perhaps it was not as good temperature control for the 2nd batch (cubed) as it was all around more cold weather for batch #2

I've been brewing the old blanket style, but have just purchased a temp control/probe setup.. haven't had to use it yet as its been quite good temps this week, but I got a bar fridge ready to utilise it when August hits (usually the peak of winter).

What have you guys found when it comes to carb and especially head on your cubed brews? How big of a role does brewing temperature play in carbonation levels?

CBF going into detail (I've had a couple of drinks...), but no my carb and head on my cubed brews is perfectly fine

You're not dumping it into the cube with lots of sloshing around are you?

Adr_0 said:
You're not dumping it into the cube with lots of sloshing around are you?
schloshing shouldnt matter man after the kettle.

sp0rk said:
CBF going into detail (I've had a couple of drinks...), but no my carb and head on my cubed brews is perfectly fine
Yeah, I reckon it is the temp

I think Adr_0 might be referring to hot side aeration. If you cubed both in the same manner I don't think that explains it. You say double batch but don't say whether both batches were no-chill cubed.
I've done very few brews with no-chill cubing but so far all of them have had no head retention or carbing issues. I've noticed no difference at all. Are you suggesting that STORING them is the issue? I'd much sooner be looking at storage temps and possible errors in sugar doses. Colder weather will definitely delay full carbonation.
5.8 vs. 6 = bugger-all.

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
schloshing shouldnt matter man after the kettle.

Yeah, I reckon it is the temp
[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]Actually it does a lot. Nothing to do with hot side aeration, but instead with good head retention proteins breaking out (forming head) then dropping out. You want to treat the beer as gently as possible for any handling after the boil /during fermentation.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]I noticed the beers I cooled with an ice bath had fantastic, thick head (particularly if I did a rest at 56-57C) but when I switched to a plate chiller and started pouring it in, I noticed the head wasn't that flash. Much better since running the hose to the bottom of the fermenter.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]Same goes for bottling.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]It's how the Belgians do it...[/SIZE]

TheWiggman said:
I think Adr_0 might be referring to hot side aeration. If you cubed both in the same manner I don't think that explains it. You say double batch but don't say whether both batches were no-chill cubed.
I've done very few brews with no-chill cubing but so far all of them have had no head retention or carbing issues. I've noticed no difference at all. Are you suggesting that STORING them is the issue? I'd much sooner be looking at storage temps and possible errors in sugar doses. Colder weather will definitely delay full carbonation.
5.8 vs. 6 = bugger-all.
Yeah that would probably be it - just the time it takes to carbonate in winter. So you might find the carbonation improves if you turn the bottles a bit and wait another week or two.

Yes it could be as simple as winter - the first batch I ice bath chilled from memory, the second was transferred - I usually leave the cubes in a pretty cold place (in the shed) before I move to a fermenter and pitch. Perhaps it'll be better in a week or so - I was just a bit baffled as the first batch had lots of head/carb from the get go.

Still good beer that second batch is but :D just wondering what factors impact

I usually go straight from the kettle into 1 ferm and one cube using a strainer and a large funnel.

Latest posts

Back