Cube Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Just came home today from a weekend away to find my european lager, which I brewed last Sunday and cubed using the no chill method, infected. The cube had swollen and had an ugly krausen on the top. Needless to say I was heartbroken and persisted to let rip with a barrage of foul language.

I whirlpooled the boiling wort after flameout and let it sit for 20 min with the pot lid on. I then transfered the wort into what I thought was a thoroughly sanitised brand new cube from Big W. I had filled it with a water/starsan solution for 24 hours and ensured the handle was sanitised by laying the cube on its side. After transferring the wort I then put the lid on the cube and screwed it on and laid the cube on its side. I observed wort leaking from the lid so I unscrewed the lid and screwed it on again. The next day I saw some wort around the floor of the cube and realised that lid must not be on tight so I lossened it again and sprayed some starsan around the lid area and screwed it on again, this time I was convinced it was on tight. I realised the risks of loosening the lid however I wanted to make sure it was airtight.

Is this the most likely source of my infection? Im guessing that it would be unlikely that there was already an infection in the wort coming from the boiler because even after 20 min after flameout the temp of the wort being transferred was close to boiling.

What do people think? has anyone experienced this extremely frustrating occurrence before?

Only just starting to no chill myself.... however one thing I would avoid like the plague would be loosening the lid, re-tightening and leaving; even if you are using starsan to sterilize the lid. IMHO if air was to get in the cube after it has cooled down, then any airborne contaminates could/would effectively infect the cube. If I were to open the cube then I would be pitching yeast straight away.
Last week when sealing my cube I heard a leaking sound. Upon inspection I noticed the seal for the lid was missing. :eek: fortunately I had another so all was good, otherwise I would have whacked it in the fridge to bring the temp down and pitch the yeast ASAP.

Cheers
Gavop.

I haven't had a infection in any cube but I do find the tight fitting of the cap a challenge.
Like you, I tip over the just filled cube to ensure a sterilized handle and when I've done it I often find that a bit of wert is very slowly leaking. I don't take the lid off I just spray a lot of star san around the cap and screw the cap further down. I think the heat of the wert tends to soften the tread on the cube and allow this type of leaking.
I use HDPE cubes and I assume you do to Matt, as they are apparently suited to this temp. Other plastics might warp more and creat more leaking hassels (??)
I probably only leave my wert for 10min max before adding to cubes.
Cap off time appears to be the most likely window to getting an infection.
Sorry mate!

Hi MattC,

Leaking cap as it cooled down would have sucked in whatever was floating around at the time - Definately unlucky, but it needs very little to trigger action in such a sugar rich enviroment. Chalk it up to experience...

cheers Ross

Straight after whirpool I cube (5 min max rest maybe).

30 mins at 70 degrees or higher should be plenty to ensure pasturisation inside the cube, which would be the case still even after 20 min in the kettle I'd imagine.

Plus what Ross said!

I have a cube that I bought that has never really tightened properly, it seems to have one of those lids that you tighten and then it doesn't really stop, like being overtightened. So i get some cling wrap and then put the lid on to make sure it seals properly. I keep checking to see if the cube stays sucked in on the sides, and then once you are certain it is good to go.

Thanks guys,

Have just filled it with a bleach solution and will leave for a few days before rinsing with boiling water and then with starsan solution. I hope that kills any beasties that may have been in there.

I also layered some plumbers tape around the thread of the cube and screwed the lid on, a much tighter fit now. Will do that with the other cube as well!!

Bad luck mate :(

At least you found out it had an infection before you fermented it...

Imagine fermenting a beer, have it in secondary for 2 weeks...carb it up in the keg slowly, let it condition for a couple more weeks...turn the tap and 'ewwwww' INFECTED!

Still unlucky though mate!

Interesting idea with the cling wrap/plumbers tape - my two cubes don't seal properly so I might have to try that next time. I only cube overnight until it's cool enough to pitch and haven't had any troubles yet, but I wouldn't be leaving it any longer.

Yeah I agree with not leaving them too long, however I am moving house next weekend and I was away this weekend so it was a case of doing a brew when i could so when I moved to the new place I could have pitched the yeast and away she went. I hate not having something fermenting, it seems to be waste of time IMO.. ;)

I've had cubes in storage for nearly six months and they've been fine! I've moved house so many bloody times in the last year it's become more of a necessity than anything :( At least I have a garage/brewery, water tank, and immersion chiller for the next twelve months or so at a minimum! :)

Cheers

Dont forget to pay special attention to those lids for the cubes, the thread and also the rubber seal should be taken out and cleaned and sanitised prior to no-chillin.. ;)

I also sit my cube in a tub with a solution of starsan while filling, anal, but airborne nasties are everywhere...

Back