Crushing Wheat Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelinz

Reaction score
Hi guys, trying to put my Monster Mill (2 roller, electric drill powered) to use for the first time. I am trying to crush wheat malt and it just keeps jamming. I have adjusted the gap to the poiunt where if I trickle the grain thru about half gets broken and the rest are whole, as soon as i put more than a handfull thru it jams. Any suggestions??? What should the gap be for general crushing using a metric feeler gauge? Will wheat be differant. I'm BIABing so need a finer crush I understand.

rgds mike

wheat is different; smaller harder kernels, thus harder to crush. Try having the mill going before you add the grain... or get a better drill :p

i run mine through at the same mill gap as i use for normal barley malt, but with wheat malt it does load the motor up more. I have a good sized single phase motor on my mill.

Id say get a bigger drill.

Is the drill stalling, unable to turn the mill?

Edit: just a thought...... maybe make up a simple cardboard runner and cut off coke bottle hopper to kind of reduce the area of the mill that has malt going through it. halve the effective sixe of the mill, you halve the load on the drill

mix the wheat malt in with the rest of the grain bill, the barley will help to keep the mill turning

i have not had any trouble when its mixed in with the rest in 2 roller monster set at .8mm gap

Just get it started with a little bit of grain first then load up the hopper.

Kleiny

mix the wheat malt in with the rest of the grain bill, the barley will help to keep the mill turning

i have not had any trouble when its mixed in with the rest in 2 roller monster set at .8mm gap

Just get it started with a little bit of grain first then load up the hopper.

Kleiny

Damn beat me to it! :D

Might even be worth getting it moving and then load the hopper, then inertia is well and truly on your side.

hey wolfy your not part of wolf engineering in melb are you?

My coffee grinder eats it for breakfast. I don't recommend this technique to anyone.

Latest posts

Back