Crushed Grain Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick_lavender

Reaction score
How long is grain still good to brew with after it has been milled?

(kept in an air tight bag)

Cheers

should be fine for months if you keep it in a cool dark place

Some will tell you only weeks and others will say months. Myself I would much rather use in in a few days to weeks but have also done a brew with some quit old crushed grain about 6 months. It turned out OK and was quite drinkable. So go for it some may tell the difference and others will say this is the best beer i have drunk in ages :)

Cheers,

I remember hearing that it may only last a couple of days once its been milled/crushed? That was probably bad advice though!

I think your probably right!

Hi,
I've had some personal experience with bad grains...they tend to oxidize once crushed. Putting them in a plastic bag does not help much since plastic bags are poor oxygen barriers. Heat accelerates the oxidization.

I would say a few weeks if stored in a cool dry place.

If you plan to store them for a longer time, put them in a proper oxygen barrier container (such as a foil bag), remove as much oxygen as possible and then put it in the freezer. This will let you store crushed grain for several months if necessary.

Cheers,
Brad

Back