Crown Lager Recipe ,you Ask Why?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Online Brewing Supplies

**** OBS ****
Reaction score
Hi All I have the builders (requested a Crown Lager) coming to do some house renovations very soon and expect them to be 3 + months on the job. Now I am a AG brewer but dont see the point of putting so much time into AG to be swilled in a matter of hours.So I would like to use coopers unhopped extracts and hop as i see needed.I am sure they use POR for both bittering and finish hops.I have all the cooper extracts at hand Pale , wheat ,corn syrup and dextrose.Any Ideas on IBU;s and % combinations .I will also use a dry yeast to cut costs.Got to get some( 50 L) going real soon so any help is appreciated.
Cheers GB

nev you should be rapped over the knuckles for that :D
paul

nev you should be rapped over the knuckles for that :D
paul
Totally but I dont think I have the time to do it any other way.I use to make good exract beer but that was a long time ago.And i think these guys will drink 5o L a week.And Im paying them enough all ready.Save time and money this way. and we are both happy.Unless you would like to put that big conical to work.I will name the new bar after you. :lol:
GB

Hi All I have the builders (requested a Crown Lager) coming to do some house renovations very soon and expect them to be 3 + months on the job. Now I am a AG brewer but dont see the point of putting so much time into AG to be swilled in a matter of hours.So I would like to use coopers unhopped extracts and hop as i see needed.I am sure they use POR for both bittering and finish hops.I have all the cooper extracts at hand Pale , wheat ,corn syrup and dextrose.Any Ideas on IBU;s and % combinations .I will also use a dry yeast to cut costs.Got to get some( 50 L) going real soon so any help is appreciated.
Cheers GB

You seen Ross's liquid hops?

Batz

I don't think you'll get the right malt profile and colour if you use extract... unless you put in a crapload of sugar; which will throw the taste out.

Just do a simple 63C, 100% pale malt mash, a bittering addition and aroma addition, probably 20IBU's worth in bittering. W34/70 or S189 I guess.

I don't think you'll get the right malt profile and colour if you use extract... unless you put in a crapload of sugar; which will throw the taste out.

Just do a simple 63C, 100% pale malt mash, a bittering addition and aroma addition, probably 20IBU's worth in bittering. W34/70 or S189 I guess.
No I refuse to use good malt for a crowny.The yeast I agree with.And 20 IBU sounds about right.Just sipping one now and has a slight sour/lemony finish?Shite must go and brush my teeth. :p

and keep it on tap. Get a Crown Lager tap thingy. Buy some Crownie glasses. Image is everything - they are tradies for god sake. Don't tell them you are into home brew (big mistake). Keep it simple - malts, POR, neutral yeast. as above. A little sweetish - good use of crystal.

Remember, anyone who thinks Crown Lager is Australia's best beer is gullible, stupid and uneducated. Be kind, don't try and educate them .. did I say they were tradies ??

Then use shit malt B)

But as with all pale lagers... the tiniest flaw shows. Mmmm... sour lemon, how are you going to replicate that?

and keep it on tap. Get a Crown Lager tap thingy. Buy some Crownie glasses. Image is everything - they are tradies for god sake. Don't tell them you are into home brew (big mistake). Keep it simple - malts, POR, neutral yeast. as above. A little sweetish - good use of crystal.

Remember, anyone who thinks Crown Lager is Australia's best beer is gullible, stupid and uneducated. Be kind, don't try and educate them .. did I say they were tradies ??
Tradies are the new rich.Ask anybody building a house.If im nice they may build me the wood fired pizza oven Ive always wanted.Fat chance!
GB

Easy with hanging shit on tradies. We dont all drink shit beer.

How do you get the foul metallic taste in the beer that all cub products have?

Tradies are the new rich.Ask anybody building a house.If im nice they may build me the wood fired pizza oven Ive always wanted.Fat chance!
GB

Rich is only a state of the pocket. Intelligence is a state of mind.

You can take'm GB. You're brighter, smarter, hopefully better looking. They are tradies. It's people like us that feed on these bottom feeders. Sure they charge more, make more money. Up front !!! Then smarties like us can take it off'em.

ps If you need a new accountant .. just PM me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Easy with hanging shit on tradies. We dont all drink shit beer.

You are clearly one of the smart ones. This is WA - if you are any good, you've gone to the mines. Get my drift !??

edit : may be smart but can'y tyoe for sjit

GB

im a trady...... :p

keg_007.JPG

Gryphon,

A little inside info about crown. I'll give you what I would do if I were trying to make an AG Crown clone; and you can translate to extract as you prefer.

Malt is basically a Barret Burston Schooner malt. 85% pale malt, 15-20% sugar adjuncts split into two parts sucrose and one part maltose.

Mash high around 69-70. A few grams of gypsum in the mash.

A 60min addition of POR @ 0.11g per litre with a little calcium chloride and a little non-iodised table salt in the boil @ 30min

No finishing hops. Bitter with pre-isomerised hop extract to around 20IBU

Ferment with a lager yeast that remains as clean as possible at a higher mash temperature. Start low and allow the ferm temp to free rise up to around 18 over a week.

Thats how I would make one anyway.

Thirsty

Gryphon,

A little inside info about crown. I'll give you what I would do if I were trying to make an AG Crown clone; and you can translate to extract as you prefer.

Malt is basically a Barret Burston Schooner malt. 85% pale malt, 15-20% sugar adjuncts split into two parts sucrose and one part maltose.

Mash high around 69-70. A few grams of gypsum in the mash.

A 60min addition of POR @ 0.11g per litre with a little calcium chloride and a little non-iodised table salt in the boil @ 30min

No finishing hops. Bitter with pre-isomerised hop extract to around 20IBU

Ferment with a lager yeast that remains as clean as possible at a higher mash temperature. Start low and allow the ferm temp to free rise up to around 18 over a week.

Thats how I would make one anyway.

Thirsty
Is that 1.1 g per L IE 55g per 50 L?I will have to check my Chloride levels in my brewing Liquor as our water is pretty high in most things.And a good yeast for this would be?Saflarger?I have heaps of Mauri but dont know how this compares.
Cheers GB

Rich is only a state of the pocket. Intelligence is a state of mind.
You can take'm GB. You're brighter, smarter, hopefully better looking. They are tradies. It's people like us that feed on these bottom feeders. Sure they charge more, make more money. Up front !!! Then smarties like us can take it off'em.
ps If you need a new accountant .. just PM me :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are clearly one of the smart ones. This is WA - if you are any good, you've gone to the mines. Get my drift !??

edit : may be smart but can'y tyoe for sjit

LOL again-accountants, lawyers, bailiffs, debt collectors, they`re all tarred with the same brush. they`re all just shitmen masquerading under different titles. A decent days work would wipe the muthas out. :lol:

Interesting topic this

Can you make a copy of any Aussie beer? I am talking a taste test,it's easy hey? The beers are right in front of you....ok here we go...why would I bother I here you say :p
But it's a good test if you think you can brew anything,brew one,a 4x,VB or crown drinker will say it is like the real thing.
I think it's harder than you believe.

Batz

Interesting topic this

Can you make a copy of any Aussie beer? I am talking a taste test,it's easy hey? The beers are right in front of you....ok here we go...why would I bother I here you say :p
But it's a good test if you think you can brew anything,brew one,a 4x,VB or crown drinker will say it is like the real thing.
I think it's harder than you believe.

Batz
Made even harder because usually its the only beer they drink.Did a very close 4x one time using Tassie cluster hops , so close it scared me.But your right it aint that easy.The challenge has be set.Side by side testing.Got to get my mega swill fishing mates in on this one.The only true judges. :D
GB

Not having drunk a crowny for a long time, here's my attempt at constructing an Exctract brew for the stuff. In a 5 gallon (23L) batch:

Grain
3 kg Light Malt Extract - probably dry malt although Morgans Ultra Light will give you that lovely straw color you need for a crowny.
500g of Caramalt - steeped for 30min ~70 deg C

Hops
Basically Lots of POR, say 75g @ 60min, 20g @ 10min

Yeast - US05 (really if I wanted to do it properly I'd use a lager yeast but who's got time for that)

Ferment at a warmish temp (21-23 deg C) to get the slightly fruity notes they mention on the fosters site.

Fine/Filter the beer as per normal.

Otherwise head here (http://fosters.com.au/enjoy/beer/crown_lager.htm) for tasting notes.

Back