Crown Lager Recipe ,you Ask Why?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep one just like that but with a gryphon logo done in tiles.Ive gotta have a pizza from that beauty.You make that? When are back in Perth?
GB

yes I build that and it works a treat!next time when you r my way( or need a break) let us know and we fire up and do the rounds.

cheers amita

Gryphon,

A little inside info about crown. I'll give you what I would do if I were trying to make an AG Crown clone; and you can translate to extract as you prefer.

Malt is basically a Barret Burston Schooner malt. 85% pale malt, 15-20% sugar adjuncts split into two parts sucrose and one part maltose.

Mash high around 69-70. A few grams of gypsum in the mash.

A 60min addition of POR @ 0.11g per litre with a little calcium chloride and a little non-iodised table salt in the boil @ 30min

No finishing hops. Bitter with pre-isomerised hop extract to around 20IBU

Ferment with a lager yeast that remains as clean as possible at a higher mash temperature. Start low and allow the ferm temp to free rise up to around 18 over a week.

Thats how I would make one anyway.

Thirsty

I would be listening to Thirsty very closely on this....

Rook

Is that 1.1 g per L IE 55g per 50 L?I will have to check my Chloride levels in my brewing Liquor as our water is pretty high in most things.And a good yeast for this would be?Saflarger?I have heaps of Mauri but dont know how this compares.
Cheers GB

Water - the additions are all for Melbourne water, which is pretty soft and lacking a little in calcium.

Nope - thats 0.11 g/L or 5.5 grams in 50L. it adds up to about 4.5IBUs from actual hops... the rest of the bitterness would be from the hop extract.

People's declarations that they can taste POR in fosters beers is, for the most part at least, misplaced. The vast majority of them (not all but most) have no actual hops whatsoever and are bittered exclusively with Pre-isomerised hop extract...

Yeast ... sorry, I cant help you. No homebrewing experience in this sort of fermentation. Fosters use a proprietary yeast that wont be available to you at all. Perhaps the Cry Havock strain from Wyeast which is good for lagers at a low temp and gives clean ales at higher temps. Or maybe a California Common yeast?? Apart from that, maybe a clean ale strain like US05. Start it at say 16C and once you see it get going, force it down to 13 or 14, after about 48hrs or when its krausening nicely, let it go up by a degree per day till you get to 18 or 19 and then hold it there till its done.

Me, I'd go with a Cal Common yeast I think... I had an anchor steam that I thought shared a few of the flavour characteristics that you would find in a crownie.

Like I said, this is just some info about how I'd go about trying to replicate a Crown lager if I was so inclined, how you translate it to a recipe is all up to you. The fact is that its probably not going to really taste like a crown simply because you dont have the correct yeast strain, and if its not the same anyway, you might as well just brew an Australian style lager without worrying about all the guff I have been spouting.

Fosters use a proprietary yeast that wont be available to you at all.

GB, Fire off Chiller a PM. Somehow he managed to get a vial of yeast off a tour guide when he visited. I think he still has it stored as glycerols or under water.

cheers

Darren

How do you get the vomit aroma? Can't be a true Crownie without smelling like sick :p

drink 26 of em .... things will rapidly start to smell like vomit

Water - the additions are all for Melbourne water, which is pretty soft and lacking a little in calcium.

Nope - thats 0.11 g/L or 5.5 grams in 50L. it adds up to about 4.5IBUs from actual hops... the rest of the bitterness would be from the hop extract.

People's declarations that they can taste POR in fosters beers is, for the most part at least, misplaced. The vast majority of them (not all but most) have no actual hops whatsoever and are bittered exclusively with Pre-isomerised hop extract...

Yeast ... sorry, I cant help you. No homebrewing experience in this sort of fermentation. Fosters use a proprietary yeast that wont be available to you at all. Perhaps the Cry Havock strain from Wyeast which is good for lagers at a low temp and gives clean ales at higher temps. Or maybe a California Common yeast?? Apart from that, maybe a clean ale strain like US05. Start it at say 16C and once you see it get going, force it down to 13 or 14, after about 48hrs or when its krausening nicely, let it go up by a degree per day till you get to 18 or 19 and then hold it there till its done.

Me, I'd go with a Cal Common yeast I think... I had an anchor steam that I thought shared a few of the flavour characteristics that you would find in a crownie.

Like I said, this is just some info about how I'd go about trying to replicate a Crown lager if I was so inclined, how you translate it to a recipe is all up to you. The fact is that its probably not going to really taste like a crown simply because you dont have the correct yeast strain, and if its not the same anyway, you might as well just brew an Australian style lager without worrying about all the guff I have been spouting.
Thirsty All good info here and I will go withe the 2112 California lager strain.
Cheers GB

Latest posts

Back