Craft Breweries take case to WTO

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Avoid the term craft beer and just say what you'd like to see (at a different pub of course). The term craft is pretty meaningless. There's good beer and bad beer.

It's a term with some popularity now - though inevitably the people who'll use it most will be hipsters, as opposed to everyday working folk, so it's got a snob factor associated with it. I think it's a valid phrase to use. Perhaps some other term might do: 'local beers?' 'Small breweries'? (Much better than 'boutique').

But then I'm a bit of a pedant that way. Saw a story in the paper today that some dude in Melbourne is petitioning the Queen to make a non-gender specific pronoun - 'hier' - an official word which she uses in her speeches. I wanted to shout at him: 'A meaning of a word is it's use! You can't legislate to make a word exist!'

Phoney said:
I tried this yesterday at one of my locals, by no means a bogan pub. But a newly renovated pub full of hipsters that is otherwise pretty cool, except the "best" beer on tap is LCBA. The conversation with the barman / manager went like this:

'I wish you guys had craft beer on tap'
'why'
'cause it's heaps better'
'nah its not. I reckon craft beer is gay'
'I disagree, I think its much nicer and so do a lot of people'
'Well what do you want to see here?'
'Maybe like [named a couple of local micro's], at least one or two rotating taps'
'Yeah well with Lion nathan we don't get much of a choice as to what we can put on'
'Right, so all of your taps are contracted out?'
'Yep, and plus the owner of this pub doesnt like craft beer'

I dont think I'll be going back there after that. Owner of the pub sounds like wanker.
I was sitting at the iron bark brewery in the swan valley WA (it was a small shed when I used to go there) and a guy came to the bar and asked for "something that tastes like VB"

even my neighbour refers to some of the commercial beers I buy as "poofter beer"

Craft beer isn't a good term to use as the big breweries have hijacked "Craft beer" for a lot of their shite, as for a beer being gay, the mind boggles, unless the barman who said it is actually a closet queen and think an appropriate masculine brew is the run of the mill beer.
Boutique on the other hand does sound effeminate,
Local beer, a broad spectrum.
May be the best way to approach it is to ask for a decent beer, not the usual run of the mill pish.

Back