Cpbf Diy For Under $5

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Silver
Reaction score
counter_pressure_bottle_filler.jpgI know it looks simple and it is. It also works brilliantly. I run off the keg through a short line to a splitter tap then through a short line and through a grommet in a PET bottle cap which is screwed onto a nice clean PET bottle. So here's the procedure, open valve gently and at about 1/5 to 1/4 of bottle being filled flow stops (pressure equalised) unscrew PET cap slightly to allow pressure release and she will fill at a rate dependant on how much the cap is unscrewed. When your an inch from the top, turn of the valve/unscrew top and screw on new cap. This is now a beer that is carbed as well as it came out of the keg. I have done this many times and tested carb levels with great results.

Hoping this helps a few punters.

Cheers

Silver

Hi Silver,

This looks interesting so thanks for sharing. If you don't mind answering a couple of questions:

1. Do you leave your serving keg at normal pressure?

2. You mention a splitter tap. Would that be something roughly like this-
2waythreaded.jpg

Cheers,

Rukh.

Hi Silver,

This looks interesting so thanks for sharing. If you don't mind answering a couple of questions:

1. Do you leave your serving keg at normal pressure?

2. You mention a splitter tap. Would that be something roughly like this-
2waythreaded.jpg

Cheers,

Rukh.
Yes i leave gas at pouring pressure and the "splitter valve" may be the wrong term but it is just a valve to stop the flow of beer through the line. I use a small ball valve.
Cheers
Silver

You sir are a genious. I will give this a go this weekend! :super:

View attachment 59656I know it looks simple and it is. It also works brilliantly. I run off the keg through a short line to a splitter tap then through a short line and through a grommet in a PET bottle cap which is screwed onto a nice clean PET bottle. So here's the procedure, open valve gently and at about 1/5 to 1/4 of bottle being filled flow stops (pressure equalised) unscrew PET cap slightly to allow pressure release and she will fill at a rate dependant on how much the cap is unscrewed. When your an inch from the top, turn of the valve/unscrew top and screw on new cap. This is now a beer that is carbed as well as it came out of the keg. I have done this many times and tested carb levels with great results.

Hoping this helps a few punters.

Cheers

Silver
Just thought i'd add, when not using my cpbf it remains in fridge and the cap/tube filling end screws back onto a pet bottle which has 3 drops of bleach, bleed air out and tighten lid. Use whatever practices you do for cleaning lines periodically.

Silver

Yes i leave gas at pouring pressure and the "splitter valve" may be the wrong term but it is just a valve to stop the flow of beer through the line. I use a small ball valve.
Cheers
Silver

Is this what you call a splitter valve ?

in_line_shutoff_valve_1_4_barbs.jpg

Is this what you call a splitter valve ?

View attachment 59673

No, that's what i would call a ball valve. The ball valve i use has a female opening at each end into which the beer line pushes into and locks. Not sure but i think it's a JG fitting. In any case the splitter valve i mentioned earlier is what we generally use on our gas lines. Never used one on a beer line but guess it would work fine seeing they are gas tight should be more than adequate for liquid.

Silver

No, that's what i would call a ball valve. The ball valve i use has a female opening at each end into which the beer line pushes into and locks. Not sure but i think it's a JG fitting. In any case the splitter valve i mentioned earlier is what we generally use on our gas lines. Never used one on a beer line but guess it would work fine seeing they are gas tight should be more than adequate for liquid.

Silver

Sorry if I am labouring the point, is this the one........cost $29.50 from Craftbrewer.

filter_control.JPG

Sorry if I am labouring the point, is this the one........cost $29.50 from Craftbrewer.

View attachment 59681
OK I think i see where your coming from.
No mate not the $30 jobby from CB it's this one which was part of a bunch of 2nd hand bits n pieces i picked up from a garage sale.

There is a QD on the keg as well, which was given me by a workmate. If you bought these parts new you would be paying more than a fiver. Pic also reveals somewhat poor recollection/ only 1 female end and brass fitting with barb on other.

valve.jpg

Back