Cpa - Secondary Fermentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primusbrew

Reaction score
I am about to put down a brew similar to a CPA

Recipe:
1.7kg Cooper's Pale Ale Kit
500g LDME
500g pilsener malt
200g wheat malt
recultured yeast from a longneck of CPA

I will mash the grains in 66 degree water for about and hour.

Made up to 22 litres and fermented at around 18 degrees Celcius

I am assuming that there will be enough bitterness in the kit for this beer so I don't plan on adding any hops.

I was wondering whether or not I should do a secondary fermentation for this brew and if so for how long.

Thanks,

Jesse

I wouldn't bother. Just make sure its finished in primary and then bottle away! Its meant to be a bit cloudy anyway! :D

Recipe looks good too. And yeah, no hops required. I have made several AG attempts at CPA and always got tempted and added some late hops. The most recent one I restrained myself and added a bittering addition only. It was as close to the real thing as I could hope for. "keep it simple" is definitely a good rule of thumb for copying this beer!

Also, do you think that there are enough fermentables in there or should I add some more?

That looks about right, you should be aiming for an OG of 1.038-1.040. Make sure you make a starter or use a few more longneck dregs otherwise you may find it won't quite go the distance.

Back