Couple Of Questions About Purging And Storing Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lebowski

Reaction score
I have moved into a small unit where I dont have any taps outside etc to wash out fermenters so I brew at my parents then stick it in a keg and transport the keg to my unit to stick in the fridge.

My first question: Is it ok to transport my filled keg without purging the headspace with CO2 in the car to my unit, or is this going to effect my beer? (I have the gas bottle etc at my unit).

Second question: Is it ok to leave my keg with just the purged headspace (i.e. no sugar for secondary fermentation in the keg) at room temperature for extended periods of time? I read in another thread people said they had no problem doing this when naturaly carbonating the beer, but is it also ok for a keg with just the headspace purged with c02 and no natural carbonation happening?

My first question: Is it ok to transport my filled keg without purging the headspace with CO2 in the car to my unit, or is this going to effect my beer? (I have the gas bottle etc at my unit).

It is very possible that the oxygen it the head space will oxidize your beer from splashing inside the keg. If your gas bottle it not portable try purging the keg at home and then filling it, this should push out most of the air. Or invest in a sodastream setup from Craftbrewer.

Second question: Is it ok to leave my keg with just the purged headspace (i.e. no sugar for secondary fermentation in the keg) at room temperature for extended periods of time? I read in another thread people said they had no problem doing this when naturaly carbonating the beer, but is it also ok for a keg with just the headspace purged with c02 and no natural carbonation happening?

Yep, this is just like an extended secondary... but make sure the temp doesnt get to high.

I have heard oxidised beer tastes like wet cardboard, is this an accurate description so that I can look out for it? (Had already transported the keg the other day).

Think I might pick up a portable keg charger or some sort just to purge like you suggested. I clean the kegs at my parents house so would have to trasport them to clean, then back to gas, then back to fill if I purged before filling.

How do you think filling a balloon with CO2 and squirting that into the headspace would go?

The balloon idea sounds half decent, but of course you'd need to sanitise the balloon first, plus it wouldn't do the complete job a proper purging does and you also wouldnt have headspace pressure helping to keep the lid pressed up against the seal.

I agree with grabbing a charger or SodaStream setup for the job...it'll come in handy later anyway :beer:

As for leaving it in the kegs un-refrigerated, I worried about this last summer, but it turned out not to be an issue at all, so don't worry about that bit :D

PZ.

Latest posts

Back