Counterflow Chiller Woes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's why i went with compression fittings on mine, the brass bits pop off then i push a keg of caustic through (my pump is also fitted with brass disconnects, so no recircing)

Bolted, plate type heat exchanger, only way to go.....just got to find one at a reasonable price now :ph34r:

You forgot the TM. :ph34r:

Yo have got me worried about the state of my CFC though; might have to give everything a good run through...

Thanks Ant you beat me to it, but its actually ChillerPig :p

PS charmap is your friend :excl:

3M make (or used to make) a scotchbrite pipe cleaning pig; I needed something similar once; a few minutes with a green pot scrubber from woollies and a wad punch worked a treat.

Just recirculate them until everything sparkles

I wouldnt recommend them for a plate chiller; but if you are going to put any sort of pig through a plate type chiller they would want to be very small and I think you might want to count them first and after just in case.

Great for pipe based chillers tho.
Otherwise it's hot Caustic or one of the proprietary products.

I know Caustic is death on Aluminium, but it is it all that bad on brass?
It will blacken the surface but havent noticed any erosion of the metal - not a situation that I have experienced with in relation to brewing; so I'm curious - I have only used Caustic as a paint stripper on old brass door lock and hinges, no problem there.

MHB

3M make (or used to make) a scotchbrite pipe cleaning pig; I needed something similar once; a few minutes with a green pot scrubber from woollies and a wad punch worked a treat.

Just recirculate them until everything sparkles

I wouldnt recommend them for a plate chiller; but if you are going to put any sort of pig through a plate type chiller they would want to be very small and I think you might want to count them first and after just in case.

I would not put any type of scrubbing device or ChillerPig through a plate chiller because with the multiple wort paths and ripple plates in them you are playing a serious game of Russian Roulette as to whether it is going to come out of the other end :ph34r:

At least with a tube type counterflow if it gets stuck you can always try and feed a piece of wire through the thing to try and force it out :eek:

Latest posts

Back